Totch Brown's Pit Pan | SouthernPaddler.com

Totch Brown's Pit Pan

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Brace yourself for a LOT of pictures and and video! (I pity the person who's still on dial-up!)

Fair warning, all the pictures are included in the video.

Loading up to go was fun! It was a LOT easier than horsing that 15 ft+ Glade Skiff. Thought I was about ready and then remembered I did not build the push pole included in the design, so I loaded up the pole from the Skiff and then had to find a flag for it. Seems its just a tad longer than the boat.

And I did remember that I wanted to take a couple of crawdad traps that I've been wanting to try out, so I tossed them in. Of course, I then had to hunt down a couple of small rocks to weight down the traps, as they are build out of plastic fencing and they kind of float. And the anchor. I need an anchor. Don't intend to use it, I just can't take out a boat without an anchor! Found it, loaded it too.

So, here's what she looks like now, a bow shot:

ppl01.jpg

Side view showing the varnished inside:

ppl02.jpg

I'm using the same cart I built quite a while back, I just shortened up up about a foot so I could stuff it in the truck cab while I'm off floating about. And another side view, so you can see the hull shape:

ppl04.jpg

Loaded up and ready to go! (See what I mean about that push pole being a little on the long side for this boat?)

ppl05.jpg

And well, why not? Same shot from the rear:

ppl06.jpg

The full load out, except for the fly rod and the mud bug traps:

ppl07.jpg

Now on to the water:

ppl08.jpg

Standing up:

ppl10.jpg

Haven't fallen in yet. . .

ppl11.jpg

And this is about where the video starts. . . And I'm STILL standing!

ppl12.jpg

Hopefully, this will work, here is the video on YouTube. This has been one whole HECK of a lot of FUN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy9SGMUrts

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
looks good mike, but I was still waiting for the splash :?: :lol: :mrgreen: yep I'm amazed too you didn't fall. it is short I guess after awhile you get use to it or learn the hard way? :mrgreen:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
"O" BOY.....
Since you can't chase Gators today unless you have a permit I was thinking . All you need is a frog gig on the other end of the push pole. A dark night and a good head lamp to spot them with to get your self a mess of frog legs for supper. :D

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Thanks Mike,
That was neat. It seems like it moves a lot better with the push pole. Before long you will be like Joey. Dancing a jig while shooting fish out of your pirogue with your bow. Good work.
Bob

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Congrats! Another successful launch of a historically significant craft. Thanks for the build post and launch video.