Touring Piroque TV Started | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Touring Piroque TV Started

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mike,

That wuz hiz pop up tent.

Friend Joe,

He didnt tote az much az you done in that Grumman, but he come close. Danged hard ta believe. It seemed ta move eazy on the water, even inta the wind. I never seen him bearin' down with that double blade. If he had, he likely woulda moved off 'n left the rest of us behind.

regards
bearridge

English gentleman visiting Texas:  Pardon me, but could you perhaps tell me where I might locate your master?

Cowboy:  That sumbitch aint been born yet.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Friend Mike,

That wuz hiz pop up tent.

regards
bearridge

As Bear said , That is his tent and here is what it looks like when up ... YEP ... Same thing. :D

brazo%20015.jpg

Joe , between where Ron is squatted down and where bear is that is Ron's boat seat/camping chair in the picture.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I had room for more stuff :D :D
Let me see if I can remember what was in that little boat.
Cooler
6 waters individuals frozen
4 cokes plastic bottles frozen
Ice, steaks
pork chops
cheeze peppers onion
tortillos
two rings of sausage
olives

Tent
Dry bag for sleeping bag blanket and pillow
Strapped on back deck
two fishing rods
couple small tackle boxes
It was trying to rain so I had my parka strapped to the front deck later I put it inside the hatch
Stove propane
Latern ""
5 propane bottles
3 1 gallon jugs of water
6 small cokes
grill
military alum cot
clothes bag
extra yak paddle
machete
metal forks knives spoons salt pepper bowl plates
extra garbage bags
2 cans corn
1 large can of chilli
2 cans soup
coffe pot two cupps cream sugar coffee
1/2 gallon of margaritas
One more bag for camera meds pop gun
and a bunch of small stuff

The boat still floated shallow handled the wind well
SHE IS THE BEST ALL AROUND BOAT I OWN
Ron

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Hi Guys
I had some more time to work on the Piroque. Here are some of the pics.
100_1619.jpg

After This pic I had to start the cutting of the sides. It took a little time to figure just how big to cut the sides but I did get it to fit.
100_1622.jpg

100_1624.jpg
The added bulk head is going to add stability to the v bottom. ( I Hope) I found that the slight V when the boat was setting on the saw horses seemed to bow up.
But I dont ,think it will be a problem once I glass the outside.
100_1626.jpg

As ya can see I am new at this boat buildin thing but It is comin along Ok.
100_1625.jpg

I think it will be just the right boat fer me.
100_1620.jpg

I did move the bulkheads alittle to give me leg room from the measurments I got for you Ron. I ended up with 47.5 inches between them.
Well maybe I will get to work more on it today. If we don't have too many guests.
It is a catch 22 situation. If I got time to work on the boat I don't have many folks here ( Bad fer Business) If I have lots of folks here I make mo money (But can't work on the boat.)
We will just have ta see.
Later Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joe...

The TV is looking good and if it performs half as well as Ron's I think you will be one happy paddler. Can't see any reason it would be any less then Ron's so it would be at 100%. As I said in another post , it amassed me on how well it handled everything and Ron just eased along on the river , taking more breaks then actually paddling.
A couple of times I thought he was napping. :lol:

Chuck.

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Steve: Yep I seen the cooler in Rons boat and figured if it works fer a Texan it has to be OK fer an ole florida paddler.
Chucky: Thanks fer the encouragment. If it hadn't been for you and Ron, Hairy Mick, I would have probably been always goin in the grumann.
Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Lazyriverguy said:
Steve: Yep I seen the cooler in Rons boat and figured if it works fer a Texan it has to be OK fer an ole florida paddler.
Chucky: Thanks fer the encouragment. If it hadn't been for you and Ron, Hairy Mick, I would have probably been always goin in the grumann.
Joe

Hold that thought about the Grumman till you get the TV on the water and then tell me you want to use the Grumman in place of it. :lol: :lol: :lol: You will notice quite a difference in the paddling , handling , speed , weight and several other things.
Now I really don't think you will be able to pack all of the stuff you had in the Grumman on the St.Mary's River for that trip in the TV but you will be able to get a lot of it in the TV. Might have to leave the entertainment center and recliner at home so there is room for the beer. :roll:
You had that Grumman loaded down like Harry and Ray have theirs and that's for two paddlers.

Chuck.

Steve

Lazyriverguy said:

Ron, ya may wanna talk to some o' these guys about royalties for that cooler idee. . . ya got more'n'more o' 'em takin' a likin' to th' concept. . . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Update on the TV Piroque
Got the inside glass done yesterday. Just have to do the sanding on that part yet. Today I will be glassing the outside. If I get the time which it looks like I will. I ll take some pics as it goes. Then I will be figuring the deck parts. Still enjoyin it.
Joe

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Well it took longer than I figured to get back on the TV. But here are so pics of my progress.
100_1632.jpg

Here I put the mat on the main bottom. I have over laped it to give more protection to the areas that I know I will be banging against things.
100_1635.jpg

I used plastic trowles to lay out the epoxy. It seemed to work good fer me.
[/img]
100_1641.jpg

Atfer putting the epoxy I had glass down over the edge about 2 inches
[/img]
100_1640.jpg

Waited for the epoxy to cure just past being sticky then comes the side panels
[/img]
100_1656.jpg

Once again I overlapped the panels of glass to give me the extra thickness I wanted.
[/img]
100_1659.jpg

[/img]
100_1661.jpg

This gives me 2 thicknesses of glass on all edges that I will ( as Chuck has seen) be bashing into things in the river.
The bow and the rear end have 3 layers just in case
[/img]
100_1660.jpg

[/img]
100_1654.jpg

Then I got to sand it so as to make smooth. I feel like the kid in the karate kid films. EPOXY ON EPOXY OFF

But it is a soothing way to get frustrations out. I will be busy again for a while but will if the rain lets up be back at it soon.
Next comes the decking
Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joe...

Are you making a boat or a battering ram for anything on the river. :lol: It will definitely be reinforced when you have it completed but if you want a solid boat that is one way to do it.

As far as the rain , it is hit or miss down here right now but from what the radar shows it sure looks like you are still getting it. For some reason it looks like everything is funneling right over to your area. Might be those signs I put up that say ... The Ocklawaha River Outpost , This Way. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Well I got some time to work on the boat this week end. I have the back deck cut and in place. I will be weldin it on today so it is dry in the morning.
Here is a couple pics.
100_1671.jpg

This before I trimmed the top deck. Next is after trimmin.

100_1675.jpg

Need to get the seam a little cleaner then do the welds. I ended up beveling the top deck to fit in closer.

100_1674.jpg

I used my sander to get the edge beveled.
100_1673.jpg

Looks nasty up close but it will fit tighter and the fillet will clean the look.
More later
Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joe , If you have the boat under a shelter , just let me know when you want a lot of free time to work on it and I will come up there and camp.
The hurricanes , hoo-duchies , heavy rain and lighting should keep the customers , campers, paddlers and sight seers away.

By the way , I heard about that bet you made. :lol:

On the lighter side , have you increased the height of the decking ? It sure looks high or is it just the picture.?
Going to put hatches in it for some dry storage ?

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joe, I'm curious about the high decks and low gunnels too. I figure the low gunnels will be closed in with gun ports, and you will run out cannons. 5 pounders are a recommended size for pirogues, I believe.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Joe, I'm curious about the high decks and low gunnels too. I figure the low gunnels will be closed in with gun ports, and you will run out cannons. 5 pounders are a recommended size for pirogues, I believe.

Joe.. Don't mind Jack he has been in the Scotch and that stuff makes anyone Krazy. :lol: :lol: :lol: