Trangia Stove | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Trangia Stove

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Or you could do like the old timers did it........ One cast iron frying pan for cooking or warming everything over the coals from a camp fire.
Now thats my kind of cooking
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Or you could do like the old timers did it........ One cast iron frying pan for cooking or warming everything over the coals from a camp fire.
Now thats my kind of cooking
Ron

Ron.....

Ya like the K.I.S.S idea.... Ya know the old Keep It Simple Stupid way of doing things. :D

Time tested and true , no matter how you look at it. Only trouble to many folks have no idea on how to do that today.

Heck back then it was the pan , a good horse and saddle along with a rifle and axe. That was all a person needed to go anywhere and even create a good cattle ranch. Providing the cow's they roped where not branded. :roll:

If they were then a ( Good ) rope from a tree took care of that when they caught you and ended all of your problems. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess this complicated life today is a lot safer , especially when the beef you get for a camping trip is from the butcher.

Chuckles.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Br'r Bear. Two observations. First one is, As I gaze at that picture of you and Swampus Correctus, I can't get over how much you and I look alike. Nearly brother-like.

Second, about your big twig stove. Consider a square gallon can like Coleman fuel comes in, laid over on a large, flat side. Cut out the upper flat side, leaving an inch or so lip around the edges. Open up some air holes in the ends an you may have the large sized stove you are after. Kick it around with Ron, he has CADD in his head for thinking, I kid the not.

If you get structurally minded like Ronnie Smith, who thinks in design terms, make a sheet meal stove the same footprint as that gallon can, but about 12" deep instead of only about 4" deep. Wood stoves like depth for best performance. Heat goes up, and it stokes the fire to have it vertical rather than a large, horizontal configuration.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Kayak Jack said:
Br'r Bear. Two observations. First one is, As I gaze at that picture of you and Swampus Correctus, I can't get over how much you and I look alike. Nearly brother-like.
I seen yer pichur at piper's git together last January 'n figgered I wuz there.
Kick it around with Ron, he has CADD in his head
Dang......I sho am sorry ta hear that. It gits harder fer me ta pay attention too.
If you get structurally minded like Ronnie
I wonder if he haz a Zip. A triple size Zip oughta solve a heap a problems. Able ta cook fer a big group of geezers, fry, simmer, in between.

regards
bearridge

What right does Congress have to go around making laws just because they deem it necessary? Marion Barry

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Them old folks knew what they were doing with all the cast iron cookware they used. We visited a recreated Cajun town in Lafayette a few years ago. The cooks were using a large fireplace with a 6' x 3' brick hearth . They would just rake a bunch of coals into a pile and plop a pot on it. They had stews, vegetables, rice, buns and even an apple pie all cooking at the same time. It was like having a six burner stove. Smelled real good! :) :) 8)

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Fellows maybe I just camp different than most, I have a folding grill that takes up nearly no room, and all my cooking is normally done on it.
A normal meal for me would be a steak or pork chops or eckrich sausage
open a can of veges set them in edge of coals still in can while the meat is cooking
maybe a chunk of cheese.
I have one small cast iron skillet if I need it. and a coffee pot, meals this is used for, soup on night just don't want to cook, cornbread if I am tired of
bread or tortilla , Frito pie ( most of the time I just heat that in the coals of the fire) I usually carry an extra coffee cup ,large one, that I use as a bowl.
A single burner propane rounds out my cooking fire, the only time it is used is first thing in the morning for coffee, I usually have it inside the tent and make the coffee while still in the sack,and it takes the chill out of the tent. The only other time I use it is in bad weather where its raining to hard to cook outside.
And you can ask Jack these are not fancy meals but they be good grazing.
Ron

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
A couple of times a year, here on the edge of "The Hill Country", they have chuck wagon contests.
The contestants cook everything over a 2X6 foot hole in the ground, filled with glowing coals, with a pot hanger over the fire pit, and bread baking off to the side.
Everything is cooked/baked in DOs. And then they are judged by a couple of hundred paying judges.
I don't think there is a required menu, But each chuckwagon's fare is exactly the same. ie; Chicken fried steak, fried potatoes, beans, and some kind of fruit cobbler.
The results are amazingly diverse. Once I paid eight bucks for a meal I couldn't eat. Another time the same eight bucks paid for a meal worth twice the price.
One thing that diminishes the cooking, is they are judged on the authenticity of the chuckwagon, (yes, there has to be a chuckwagon insitu)And the cooks costume.(The cook has to be dressed as if it he/she were living in 1880.)
This reminds me, I am going to judge National BBQ Finals, for the seventh time next Saturday. There are worse jobs. There are a lot worse jobs, than eating twenty bites of the best BBQ in the US of A.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Memphis in May finally banned me cuz I would not spend (waste) a Saturday learnin' ta judge bullshit....I mean BS. I dont believe in anythin' but blind judgin' vittles. It iz all bout the taste, not the BS 'er chuckwagon tales. I miss the barbecue, but that aint the first time I drew a line in the dirt.

regards
bearridge

Most of the harm in the world is done by good people, and not by accident, lapse, or omission. It is the result of their deliberate actions, long persevered in, which they hold to be motivated by high ideals toward virtuous ends. Isabel Patterson

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I like the way you think mate. I prefer to do it this way too.

Trouble is round here, most of the islands I like to paddle to are declared national parks and the parks and wildlife mob who control them have banned open fires.

When I get a chance, will take a couple of piccies of my old home made bush grilles. There might be some ideas in them for some.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
I like the way you think mate. I prefer to do it this way too.

Trouble is round here, most of the islands I like to paddle to are declared national parks and the parks and wildlife mob who control them have banned open fires.

Mick....

That is the same around here , a person has to have a camp stove to use when the burning ban in in place.

Then there are the places we camp where no fires are allowed. The Glades and the Okefenokee for two of them. A camper is on a chickee at night and you sure don't want a fire on one of them. They are a wooden platform up over the water and the only dry place to camp. Needless to say a fire on one of them is not such a great idea so a small camping stove is required.

Plus it is almost impossible to locate any dry wood for a wood burning stove so a person has to rely on the liquid burning stoves.

Today I placed an order for the #27 ... 3 person ultralight Aluminum Alcohol stove kit they have. According to them I should have it here Monday next week.

I trust swamprat :roll: :wink: :p ... he knows what it is like camping here in Florida and from what he posted this looks like the right answer for a lot of the areas I like. :D Besides I have one of the little burners so that gives me a back up one.

Chuck.
From the Trangia web site...
10919.140273.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kicking things around about the cooking kit and that frying pad.

Swamprat an his lady did this for a meal.

0_0_77a72eb2c38c947860203219ae8385a8_1.jpg

The outfit for one person would be something.
Get up in the morning , heat some water for tea ( could use the frying pad to heat the tea water ) and then use one of the single serving packages of the Spam ( Two slices ) and some of the Egg Beaters , not all of it , for breakfast.

Slice and dice the Spam , get it hot and add the egg mix , before you know it you have an ham an egg omelet to enjoy.

Some good spicey Salsa thrown in there would not hurt anything , No Sir , it would not hurt it at all for a western style omelet. :D

By the way Spam is nothing but pork that has been cooked in the can so all you have to do is get it hot and go from there. Unless you get the Turkey Spam which is all white meat and already cooked. Both work out really good when camping and the single serving packs are even better for a person camping solo.

So far the meals I have used them in out camping ... NO ONE has refused ... plus there were no left overs. :D

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Get up in the morning , heat some water for tea ( could use the frying pad to heat the tea water )

Chuck,

The set up my mate had came with a small pot for boiling water ( maybe 3 cups) Everything fits inside something else so that the whole lot packs together into one item for travelling.

Simply brilliant. I have decided to get one too. quick, easy, clean and no fuss.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
hairymick said:
The set up my mate had came with a small pot for boiling water ( maybe 3 cups) Everything fits inside something else so that the whole lot packs together into one item for travelling.

Simply brilliant. I have decided to get one too. quick, easy, clean and no fuss.

Mick....

Like you or like me , either way. :lol:
I guess we are getting lazier or could there be the slight possibility or glimmer of hope :roll: , no matter how slight it is , of us getting smarter as the time creeps along and passes when we are thinking about how to do things in the wilds when camping.
Especially the things we like. When doing them simpler and enjoying the time out there a lot more is so simple to do. :D

I always have thought the K.I.S.S.** principle is the best ...
( ** Keep It Simple Stupid)

Chuck.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
The K.I.S.S. is what I like so much about this little rig. It all fits together. It works. Then it all goes back together until next use.... Then the next time it comes out, it works again, and so on and so forth.... No muss no fuss. Just simple and it works... Did I say it works? :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Hot Dang..... :D

My Little Trangia #27 outfit arrived today. What a compact and light weight deal.

After checking it out ( Not using it or trying it , just checking it out ) I like the way everything works as one unit. Especially the way the base and wind screen fit together , slip it together and give it a slight twist and it is locked together as one unit ... no slipping or sliding , Rock solid and the burner is up in the unit and away from the ground.

The way everything fits together all the heat is forced up from the bottom and around it for even distribution. :D

Then adjusting the supporting brackets to hold either the bowels or the frying pad they are just as solid.

Just like the Swiss Army Champ Knife ( which I always have with me ) This is the Swiss Army Knife of cooking ... Simple but versatile and well thought out while offering all it can.

swamprat... You are right this is one slick and well thought out system.

Chuckles.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
swamprat said:
The only downsides that I have found or read about are that it doesn't work well in very cold temps. ( not a problem in Florida) and if your not very carefull with the lid to the burner, the least little bit of sand or grit will cause it to leak a bit. Thats why it is kept in its own plastic bag.

One word of warning they have for the outfit.... You have bypassed any problems by doing it they way you do. :D

They advise to.......

"Never attempt to pour spirit into the burner unless the flame is fully extinguished." ( I thought that goes without saying anything ).
" The burner should be stored in a plastic bag or similar to prevent corrosion of the saucepans. "

Chuck.