Trench cooking | SouthernPaddler.com

Trench cooking

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I posted this in the Camping section as an answer to Pipers question about using Coleman Cans as stoves. ( Empty ones)
Anyway this is one of the things I like to do , at times , when solo camping and only have myself to worry about..... :D

As I am sure all of you know there are other ways to cook your meal if the weather is permitting , if not then something is needed to replace this method but in normal conditions , down here in the south it works quite well. The folks up Nawth might want to use rocks and that opens up a lot of discussions about there rocks. :lol: We will not go there unless they shake there heads. :roll:
For me , I will have the Trianga outfit with me but in good weather or just for the fun of it revert back to the way things were done down here. By the way the idea below does not work in a swamp if you are at water level. :wink: A good reason to have a back up system.
****************************************************************************************************************************************************
It would be about the same as Trench cooking. That is when you dig a shallow and narrow trench or impression in the ground. About 3/4s as wide as what your pot is. Plus it helps if it is about 3 times as long as your pot on each side. Makes it easier to add wood as the cooking progresses.
Start a small fire in it and when you have the coals then lay down a small piece of wood on each side of it to support your pot so it is not on the ground.
As supper cooks then you add more wood to the fire. It requires very little wood to cook a meal since the heat is concentrated in a small area then when it is done you fill in the trench and no one knows what went on. Or you just have a small campfire , in the same area , after your evening meal and in the morning go your merry way. Naturally for can do the same in the morning , just cover the trench and no fire worries. :D

Again it is the old U.S. Army Mess Kit in the stainless that does the trick , the new aluminum ones stink for that and just don't work as good.

Chuck.

Steve

I like to do sort of the same thing. . . have my trench, hole or whatever you want to call it, get it filled with coals then lay my fixings, double wrapped in aluminum foil, on the coal and let it cook. . . occassionally I'll dig the pit deep enough so that when I put the double wrapped fixings on the coals I can cover it with some wet or green wood then cover that with dirt for a while and let it cook that way. . .

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
As a variation of that, Alton Brown (Food Channel, "Good Eats" program) showed an interesting way to do shish kebabs. He had a shallow trench about 18" wide X about 4" deep. He placed bricks inside the trench, lined up along the edges. He then lined the trench w/ aluminum foil, and pressed it onto the bricks so that it had 90 degree corners where it went from the trench up onto bricks, and as it went over the edge of a the brick. It was flat across the bottom of the trench.

Next, he started a small pile of charcoal, (natural "lump charcoal" not briquettes) and after they were going well he spread them out along the trench. He had the food (meats & veggies) pre-cut into chunks. He skewered meats separately from veggies - meats on their own skewer, veggies on theirs. It's easier to adjust for different cooking times this way. He laid skewers across the trench, above the charcoal. Ends of the skewers rested on the foil covered bricks along each side of the trench. This placed a small amount of food in close proximity to a small amount of fuel.

Bricks obviously aren't necessary; they just provide a sharply defined edge and top corner. Foil isn't necessary either. It may, however, keep some dirt and grit from getting on to the foodstuffs? Plates and silverware aren't necessary either. He used metal skewers, but a camper would use the bamboo ones. Toss "dishes" into the fire after you eat.

It was, I understand, Genghis Khan and his raiders who used this method to minimize need for fuel. I'm not sure where Genghis and his guys got their foil.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Kayak Jack said:
I'm not sure where Genghis and his guys got their foil.

Darn good question. Genghis was a traveling kind of a guy. Probably shopped at the Walmart supercenters along the interstates.

Seems like the foil would reflect some of the heat up at the food instead of letting it be absorbed by the ground. Also, if the coals were directly on the ground you might get some smoke and odors that would be less than savory. Just according to what sort of soil it was and how wet.

Maybe a camper could substitute a couple of sticks of wood for the bricks? The foil would keep them from burning long enough to get the cooking done. After all, if you're going to lug a bucket of bricks around with you ya may as well just pack a small Weber grill instead.

I like Alton Brown. He is a squirrely sort of a fella, but he knows his stuff and you usually learn something from his shows. A lot of these shows, you just get to watch somebody cook a bunch of food. Alton does a good job of teaching you while he is at it. Reminds me of Justin Wilson in that way. Justin Wilson is the reason I actually got interested in cooking, back in my bachelor days.

GBinGA

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Actually Genghis Khan and his crew would take a chunk of meat and have it under there saddles during the day to tenderize it and did not cook it.

Chuck
****************************************************************************************************************************************
From the publication.. "The History of Hamburgers"
Genghis Khan (1167-1227), crowned the "emperor of all emperors," and his army of fierce Mongol horsemen, known as the "Golden Horde," conquered two thirds of the then known world. The Mongols were a fast-moving, cavalry-based army that rode small sturdy ponies. They stayed in their saddles for long period of time, sometimes days without ever dismounting. They had little opportunity to stop and build a fire for their meal. The entire village would follow behind the army on great wheeled carts they called "yurts," leading huge herds of sheep, goats, oxen, and horses. As the army needed food that could be carried on their mounts and eaten easily with one hand while they rode, ground meat was the perfect choice. They would use scrapings of lamb or mutton which were formed into flat patties. They softened the meat by placing them under the saddles of their horses while riding into battle. When it was time to eat, the meat would be eaten raw, having been tenderized by the saddle and the back of the horse.

1238 - When Genghis Khan's grandson, Khubilai Khan (1215-1294), invaded Moscow, they naturally brought their unique dietary ground meat with them. The Russians adopted it into their own cuisine with the name "Steak Tartare," (Tartars being their name for the Mongols). Over many years, Russian chefs adapted and developed this dish and refining it with chopped onions and raw eggs.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yep, and after that steak soaked up a certain amount of horse sweat, acrid smoke from burning dirt was probably a welcome flavoring. Now, I thought a "yurt" was the round shelter made of pounded felt? "Check THAT in your Funk n Wagnall!"

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
On one St. Mary trip I got the paddlin' geezers ta bury the taters....wrapped in foil....under the fire. Cooked 'em good....not burned.

Once upon a time I wuz at a Halloween party where we ate a heap a venison that had been cooked in the ground all afternoon. Some fellas took some shoulders, laid 'em out on heavy foil, covered it with spices 'n a bottle of Italian dressin'. Then they wrapped that shoulder 'n sealed it good. Then they put anuther layer of foil. Then a third one.

Outside one of 'em had dug a big hole, but 3' deep. They built a big fire in that hole, with big chucks of wood (not dry, rotten stuff). When the fire had burned down, they put a layer of dirt, then the shoulders, then more dirt. After 4-5 hours they dug up the meat 'n laid it on the table. Folks walked buy and grabbed a handful of meat.....that just come right off. They had some dippin' sauces fer folks who wanted more spice. It wuz awful tender 'n tasty.

regards
bearridge

ps On the St. Mary we buried the taters in the sand close ta the fire, then shoved the coals and a few more pieces of wood on top. Az I recall it took bout a hour ta cook 'em jest rite.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.  Thomas Jefferson

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I've read about, but haven't tried, packing meat in wet clay and baking it under a fire like that. According to one account, you gut a bird, but leave skin and feathers intact. After baking, skin & feathers pull off with the baked clay. The clay gets like a flower pot. Sounds reasonable, but haven't gotten a bird to volunteer yet. I've interviewed only three or four, though, so maybe the next one?

Br'r Bear, when you wrapped the potatoes in foil, did you put some slices of onion around the potato? That helps keep potatoes form scorching, and also adds flavor. There must be a blue million different combinations of good stuff to cook that way.

What we need, is a way to do it without being dependent on foil? Good clay is not always available; good leaves to wrap it in are not always available; I guess maybe there's a good reason for foil - ehh? I'm sorta glad that I took that Tuesday afternoon off to invent it.

By the way, you're welcome.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:

Br'r Bear, when you wrapped the potatoes in foil, did you put some slices of onion around the potato? That helps keep potatoes form scorching, and also adds flavor. There must be a blue million different combinations of good stuff to cook that way.

By the way, you're welcome.

I like to wrap a piece of bacon around the spud when it is done in the foil. :D

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Onions would have been good....but we didnt have any. However, the scorched tater danger goes away when you bury your taters in the ground, under the fire. When ya dig 'em up 'n unwrap 'em, it would be nice ta have a big bowl with a mix ta spread on them taters.......olives, cheese, Vietnam fish sauce, Kim Chi, chow mein noodles, soy sauce, red rooster Chinamen hot sauce, artichoke hearts, yogurt, real butter, english peas, mebbe some M&Ms?

Hard ta beat a baked tater 'n a steak in the woods.

regards 'n thanks
bearridge

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot. Groucho Marx

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
oldsparkey said:
I like to wrap a piece of bacon around the spud when it is done in the foil.
That sounds pretty good to. I'm thinking that there must be a LOT of combos available. All goo, except maybe, some with broccoli or Brussels sprouts. Or turnips.

Like Bear said , the spud is good loading it down with good stuff ( If you have it ) when it is on your plate. Plain ain't bad either , been many a day when just some salt , pepper and a couple chunks of real butter was plenty.

Never tried it out camping and I don't see why it would not work but at home if we do them in the oven. I like to rub some bacon drippings on them and then coat them in some of the large Kosher salt and bake them. Will have to try that out camping. :D Haven't tried that in the microwave ..... Yet.... just do them plain in there.

Chuck.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
In the wild tinfoil is not a problem. If you have forget to bring alumimumnn foil with you, just take off your hat and unwrap the foil from around your head and use that. Be very careful with it so you can replace it when your done cooking with it. :wink:
Bob

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Steve wrote,

I like to do sort of the same thing. . . have my trench, hole or whatever you want to call it, get it filled with coals then lay my fixings, double wrapped in aluminum foil, on the coal and let it cook. . . occassionally I'll dig the pit deep enough so that when I put the double wrapped fixings on the coals I can cover it with some wet or green wood then cover that with dirt for a while and let it cook that way.

Mate, you are talking about what the new Zealand Maoris call a "hungi" or the Australian Aboriginies round here call a "Cup Murri" Bloody good way of cooking pork, mutton or beef. 8)

Steve

hairymick said:
. . .Mate, you are talking about what the new Zealand Maoris call a "hungi" or the Australian Aboriginies round here call a "Cup Murri" Bloody good way of cooking pork, mutton or beef. 8). . .

Mick, I learned that from my granddad when I was a kid. . . it's interestin' how some of the simplest things be universal, ain't it. . .. ...

Steve

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Yeah mate 'tis.

We have a LOT of ex-pat New Zealanders or "Kiwis" as we call them, living in Oz. Many are Maori and this is their traditional way of cooking a feast. Put a buch of Kiwis, a hungi and a few acoustic guitars together and you have a party like none other. Add beer and a few Aussies and bloody anything can happen (and usually does) :oops:

when I lived on the coast (Nova Scotia) we would often get a huge roaring fire going (all hardwoods), once the coals burn down, cover with seaweed, add clams mussels, lobsters etc, more seaweed then cover with a tarp. An hour later you had the most delectible sea feast ever. This can also be done on the mainland with wet grasses

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Guess I missed this thread earlier...

Every time I paddle on the Black Creek we do this. Dig a hole in the sand, couple short logs/sticks on the side to hold the grill, foil wrapped potatoes (or squash) in the coals, steaks on the grill, beer in hand. One time, one of our friends had prepared sliced bananas with chocolate in the middle, again, wrapped in foil. About a minute on the coals, and oh-boy, talk about a good desert! :D

A variation done while car camping (no trench, just a fire ring)... season up a Cornish hen, stuff it with an onion, wrap it in foil, throw it in the coals. Um, um, good. I first saw this on the Appalachian Trail. A couple guys had stuffed a frozen hen (with the onion) in their backpacks and it defrosted while they hiked on their first trail day. Too bad they couldn't eat it all. :wink: It tasted much better than my just-add-water chicken and rice dinner.