Trip to a Florida Key: Expose of Cracker Paddling Practices | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Trip to a Florida Key: Expose of Cracker Paddling Practices

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have to admit the grits at the Road Kill Cafe were pretty bad , I could only eat a little more then half of them before the solidified into a solid block. But they did stay with me all day long.

If you are ever in Everglades City do your self a favor and visit the Road Kill Cafe , every other place selling food you go to will be a 5 star restaurant after that. No matter how bad it is.

If you have a lot of time on your hands , like killing some time from 12 O'Clock to 3 pm waiting for your room to be ready then it has to be Susie's Station. By the time you get your meal ( if they have what is on the menu at that time ) when you are done your room will have been ready for several hours.
The waitress does not say .. HI to you all she starts out with is .. We Don't Have .............

Yes Sir .. Everglades City , the vacation capital of the world , not sure which world.
If someone wanted to make a killing , open a restaurant down there , have good service , plenty of good food and a cashier that can count without taking his shoes off.

Chuck.

dawallace45

Mick
Grits are available here already , at least the yellow ones are , of course the package says Polenta [ yellow corn meal ] , Cornbread , good stuff and my favourite Mexican Cornbread , White grits seem harder or imposable to get here though ,

DM
I'm pretty sure that no one here in Australia actually eats Vegemite , we just keep it as a joke for tourists to buy , sort of like Black-eyed Peas , actually if you feed vegemite to children it's considered child abuse

But getting back to grits , a very versatile food and just as handy in the workshop , being a cellulose product it's just as good as wood flour for mixing with epoxy , now that's some thing you can't do with sauerkraut

David

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
chuck sounds like it,s ur day. i sure didn,t know jack was so fond of u. u seem to be his best buddy. :) sounds like as i recall u done an excelent job planning u geezers trip. :lol: u can give me some dem grits in a gift sak anyday.

i garantee the wevoils want get in them. :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Dave, Thanks mate.

[/quote]m pretty sure that no one here in Australia actually eats Vegemite ,
:shock: :shock:
I eat vegemite, so do all my kids n grandkids, in fact just about everybody I know eats it.

I was weaned on the stuff. There is allways a 500 gram jar in the fridge. Ya need to have it with real butter, on crusty toast, not that poly unsaturated crap they call margarine.

That jar, by the way, lasts about a week at my place.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
dawallace45 said:
DM
I'm pretty sure that no one here in Australia actually eats Vegemite , we just keep it as a joke for tourists to buy , sort of like Black-eyed Peas , actually if you feed vegemite to children it's considered child abuse

David

OK... What's wrong with black eyed peas ? They are darn good when mixed in with some rice , onion and ham , we call it Hopping John. Now if you have some cornbread along with that it is some happy eating. :D

Easy to make when out camping and quite filling , heck I had some on the last trip for supper , it is a traditional camping an paddling meal.

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
dawallace45 said:
Mick
Grits are available here already , at least the yellow ones are , of course the package says Polenta [ yellow corn meal ] , Cornbread , good stuff and my favourite Mexican Cornbread , White grits seem harder or imposable to get here though

Polenta & grits arn't exactly the same thing.

Polenta http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polenta

Grits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

If you get course ground polenta then you may be close.

oldsparkey said:
OK... What's wrong with black eyed peas ? They are darn good when mixed in with some rice , onion and ham , we call it Hopping John. Now if you have some cornbread along with that it is some happy eating.

Nope, nothing wring with black eyed peas, that I know of. Nothing like a big bowl of 'em on New Years day (or the day after). Man I miss my mom's cooking.

DM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
One trip down in the Glades , my buddy and I took the Nalgene bottles and put some black eyes (or navy beans) in them added some rice and dehydrated onion then the water.
We let the bottles roll around in the bottom of our canoes during the day's paddling. Then when we set up camp we took the bottles and put the contents in a pot , cooked it up , added a can of ham (Like tuna comes in ) and had supper.

Simple cooking but a satisfying meal. Sometimes we actually had some fresh fish to go with the mix.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
... cooked it up , added a can of ham (Like tuna comes in ) and had supper.
I'd like to find some GOOD, hame in a small can. SPAM, and other such ilk, is all I can find. I've tried various brands etc. with no luck. AARRGGHH!!

Reconstituted pig snout with artificial flavorings. Mottled with fat, tripe, tails, tits, tongues, touch holes, and testicles.

Be there a quality ham available in small cans? Maybe an import?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Right here at the home fount , not overseas, you can get the real stuff , it is called Hormel lean chunk Ham and comes in a 5 oz can.

By the way Spam is the real stuff and not the by products or unsavory parts. It is the meat that was close to the bone and shoulders of the hog when butchered.

The thing I can't understand is how a person can eat those little rotten fish in a can with the guts and scales still on them or smoked , slimy , smelly , slippery , snotty oysters and then fuss about real food from a can. Like some Vienna Sausages (Even the Chicken ones) with Ritz Crackers. It does not compute , add up or make any sense to me. :?

"O" Well as the stomach churns and the world turns. :roll:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Read "Never Cry Wolf". See how he had to eat mice as the wolves do. THEN you'll understand the way to eat sardines. And smoked oysters. And kippered herring. And souse.

( Have read it several times , Mice sound a lot better as a snack. Chuck. )

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
real food from a can. Like some Vienna Sausages (Even the Chicken ones) with Ritz Crackers. It does not compute , add up or make any sense to me. :? "O" Well as the stomach churns and the world turns. :roll: Chuck.

Chuck.Your eating chicken guts when you eat Vienna Sausage....and what was in dem guts....and beaks....and feet.....and feathers...and chicken sex organs.....chicken eye balls.....etc. See, they just have have a big meat grinder they throw the whole dead chicken into when it's egg laying days are over.....out the other end comes a can of Vienna sausage. Bon Appetite' my friend! :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
oldsparkey said:
real food from a can. Like some Vienna Sausages (Even the Chicken ones) with Ritz Crackers. It does not compute , add up or make any sense to me. :? "O" Well as the stomach churns and the world turns. :roll: Chuck.

Chuck.Your eating chicken guts when you eat Vienna Sausage....and what was in dem guts....and beaks....and feet.....and feathers...and chicken sex organs.....chicken eye balls.....etc. See, they just have have a big meat grinder they throw the whole dead chicken into when it's egg laying days are over.....out the other end comes a can of Vienna sausage. Bon Appetite' my friend! :roll:

Sounds like an over sized sardine but it smells and tasts a lot better. Anyway ... my stuff was ground up unlike that stuff you eat , while it looks at you. Might say mine is a delicious blend while yours is still on the hoof , "O"ooooppp's ... Pardon me ...Fin

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
... besides, she's a nice lady - adding some true class to this otherwise droll outfilt.

If you are referring to us ..... I have to agree with you on this one. I wish you could of been with us on several visits up in the Smokies when we have meet with Jean an Sam and sat down to a good meal with them.

Ya Know ..... Thinking about that , the last time I was up there I had to go thru customs at the Carolina border and I bet Jean put them up to that. It was worth it with the deserts she brought out to camp and that meal oldyaked did was something , anyway I think he cooked something ????????? I was to busy with the deserts Mz Jean brought. :D

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks for reminding me........Jack says her eggs are wonderful, I need to order some for summer camping. I have tried alot of her stuff but not eggs. If my travels bring me South again this summer, I'm going to stop in and see her. Good people.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Just to let you folks know that we go hungry on all of our trips here is a picture of the Low Country Boil Oldyaker did for us when Jean an Sam brought the deserts.

lostmines%20001.jpg

We even had a lot left over but what can I say all of us are dainty eaters. Just ......DON'T.... get between us and the food. :lol:

Chuck.
PS.. Where's the GRITS ????????

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Jack, for small canned ham try DAK (Danish) brand from Sam's. 3 one pounders to a pack for about $8.
We use one can and a pound of shrimp per batch of jambalya. See Emeril's page at food tv.