Trolling mounts | SouthernPaddler.com

Trolling mounts

sheetsrep

Dec 7, 2007
Hey all, I am building an Uncle Johns Pirogue with decks. I would like to add some trolling mounts but not sure where to put them. I was thinking of putting some flush mount rod holders on the deck behind the seat but not sure if that would be the best spot. Where do you guys normally put holders for trolling, in front of you or behind?

Thanks, Brian

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Brian.

1st off.... Pleased to meet you.

I haven't seen any of these guys add a trolling motor and to be honest don't know that they would. Personally, I would think that a trolling motor would take away from the enjoyment of the paddlin', and would have to think long and hard before adding one to a pirouge or canoe. Paddlin', to me, is a sheer joy and down right relaxin', in my humble opinion.

However, if you want a trolling motor then, by God, add one. It's your boat.

Saying that, I would think a rear mount would probably be best, provided you have the reach behind you for steerage. But as low into the boat as you would be sitting, it could prove to be a hindrance. It would seem to me that a higher seat elevation would mean a less stable situation. Of course the guys here could probably give you much better advice than I can.

Think long and hard before you add it, then try temporarily mounting it in different spots to see what suits you the best.

Steve
Sheena's dad

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I'm a paddler S's dad but those Aussies have a way to make thing look alright! I've even though about putting a propeller on a weed eater, but then I'd have to jump in the river and try to kick my own arse to keep it quiet.

sheetsrep

Dec 7, 2007
Thanks guys...I guess my post was a little misleading. I am not wanting to add a motor. I am just wondering what is the best place for rod holders for trolling while paddling??

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
sheetsrep
mine are sitting in front of me but far enough forward to clear the paddle. That way I can watch the rods and do't have to be turning around to get them.
Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Sheetsrep and welcome aboard mate.

this is what i did in my pirogue.

BunyipBuild172Small.jpg

IMG_1973Small.jpg

Poona11-11-0636Small.jpg

Can move it back and forward to suit your self, quick and easy to put in and take out and a rock solid mount.

Flush mounts are next to useless IMHO in a pirogue unless you want to carry a couple of extra rods. :p

Heya Ozzy, Thanks mate, I think :p

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
This is the fun part. Rigging your boat! there are many ways to go, the afore mentioned are splended ideas as well as what I came up with. You can duplicate it for both sides and it mounts in any spot I want and is fully adjustable. It's most usefull in front far enough not to interfere with paddling but easy to reach I can take it out easily for storage or transport. Like they say neccesity is the mother of invention. Have fun making up your own system.

P9180223-1.jpg

P9180225.jpg

P8260199.jpg

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
CCT'er, I like that set up.... but, then again, I like Mick's too.

By golly, ya got me prayin' for a layoff so I kin get Sheena's boat finished and floatin'. (If she ain't here to finish it, don't that make it mine? :twisted: )

Oh, well.... four days off fer Xmas, 'n' three for New Years..... hmmmm, seems about right..... :roll:

Dad

sheetsrep

Dec 7, 2007
Thanks for the info guys! Man cctyer the finish on that boat looks great. I may need some tips in the next few days :wink:

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Trick photography! :wink: Anything I can do to help, just ask my friend. I am just a novice compared to some of the other fellas here but I will do what I can. That's the great thing about this board you can get advice on anything even if you did not ask for it!

Have fun building!

Chad