TRR Laker build | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

TRR Laker build

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I hear the same on the 4mm as to the 3mm. I'm not a kayaker either the low seating will be a concern on my swind 15-30. I guess we could put more weight in the bottom of our gear not our rear to make ballast. I'll be enjoying your adventure with you as you post, thanks for the pictures too.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Ozark
The Laker isn't but 22 inches wide at the bottom the South wind is a whole different animal I don't think you will have a problem with seating height at 30 inches wide My Freedom is rock solid at 29 inches wide.
Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Oz,

I reckon the SW 15/30 will be very stable.

I would recommend you experiment with a seat something like Chucks and play with the height. 4 or 5 inch seat height should be no problem at all.

I made several seat bases for my SW. I use a low one for offshore and a higher one for still water.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dear Rat-type guy,

You may want to rig an internal tether for your hatches. Not only prevents the Texas wind (of which I'm sure you're a contributing member) to blow it away, it allows you to set it aside and retrieve it easily for resealing the cargo bay.

redfisher

Sep 18, 2007
Land O Lakes,Florida
Kayak Jack said:
Dear Rat-type guy,

You may want to rig an internal tether for your hatches. Not only prevents the Texas wind (of which I'm sure you're a contributing member) to blow it away, it allows you to set it aside and retrieve it easily for resealing the cargo bay.
...and blowing off on the highway. :x

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The tether is on the agenda
I put about 8 more miles on the Laker today in some pretty rough weather couple times had waves breaking over the nose of the boat.
Her short length let her bob around a bit but she never missed a lick. and the v deck had shead all the water before it got half way back to the cockpit.
I was playing with the seat height and getting a little more use to a new boat and new paddle , they both did well.
I came back to the house broke out the skill saw cut a big hole in her

IM001813.jpg

started installing the strips for a hatch up front and fitting another bulkhead.
IM001814.jpg

IM001815.jpg

I didn't like having to reach up under front deck to get stuff and water from paddle drip and getting in and out of boat was getting some of my stuff there damp. we will fix that
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
John
You got me but I had to have room incase someone wants a ride from that nudist colony on the Brazos
:twisted:
Ron

Is that the one Jack goes to , ya know , only for the over 85 club. I figured you might stop there since he had it circled on the maps he sent you for the trip. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
You had the numbers right but just scrambled up
Women have to be at least f5ft 8 in tall it is called he 8 am to 5 pm club
all women have to be under 58 years old now we not going there on the males qualifications
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The little Laker is getting pretty close to wrapped up got the front hatch
finished today gasket installed and ready to go.

IM001818.jpg

I guess I am going to have to fess up to being a tight wad went to the store bought stainless bolts washers and nutts for the tie downs got to looking at the flat washers in stainless they were 40 cents a piece when I started to pay dug in my pocket came out with some change I noticed a quarter was about the same size as the washers I was buying and they just be 25 centsand they don't rust. hummmmmmmmmmmmmm
On my Freedom to get enough cord and tie down clips I had to spend 30.00 now I got to thinking again went bought me some one inch webbing 1.00 and a 52" bungy cord 1.95 took my quarters went to work didn't turn out half bad sum total for tie down 6.00 got 24.00 left for adult beverages now.
IM001820.jpg

IM001817.jpg

get my seat finished out and I'll be done
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
One heck of a boat
I wrapped the Laker up today got a seat option that works for me comfortable up of off floor a little, stable at this height .
To sum up this build it was easy with Matts plans the boat is light under 40 lbs tracks great glides like crazy and good speed very nimble boat.
I will have to agree with Mick it is my favorite boat to go paddle out of my yaks

Matt you have a winner here would not change a thing
Ron

Re:

tx river rat said:
guess I am going to have to fess up to being a tight wad went to the store bought stainless bolts washers and nutts for the tie downs got to looking at the flat washers in stainless they were 40 cents a piece when I started to pay dug in my pocket came out with some change I noticed a quarter was about the same size as the washers I was buying and they just be 25 centsand they don't rust. hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ron
Ron: did you actually really drill holes in quarters cause if you did I desperately need a picture of your 25 cent washer in use. Classic case of cheap Bas%$#@^ and I have a buddy that will lose his mind when he sees it
Thanks
Belly