TRR Laker build | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

TRR Laker build

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Combing is finished (putting top piece on)

IM001716.jpg

tried something a little diferant weith finish on combing I like the looks of it

IM001717.jpg

IM001718.jpg

got glass put on bottom

IM001715.jpg

IM001719.jpg

a litl more finishing out and maybe tomorrow she floats
Ron

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
trr

FINE looking boat ya got there. I do think, that if I were building i I would have to either round out or flatten the aft coaming on the cockpit.

But, that's just me talking.

It sure looks good.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bald Cypress
You know its funny I was talking about that just today. It is a really strong design ,works just like a truss and sheds water well . but I was thinking a front deck similar to the rear deck might look cool. If you look at next to the last pic that would be a good looking nose for a boat
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well I hit the water with Laker today.
When we first pulled up I looked across the lake there were thousands of pelicans on the lake,very unusual to see them in this part of the country

IM001735.jpg

IM001733.jpg

Unloaded the Laker she is nice and light about 38 lbs

IM001737.jpg
IM001741.jpg

She floats like a cork on top of the water.

IM001742.jpg

climbed in and away I went
IM001744.jpg
IM001745.jpg

I found out one thing right quick I was sitting to high in my lawn chair about 4 inches off the bottom the boat felt very unstable paddled back to the bank took out the seat just sat on the bottom it was a whole different boat then I need to build a low seat for this boat.

IM001769.jpg

This little boat will fly and glides forever is a fun boat to paddle I noticed in pics the back was drafting about 4 inches and the front about 2 inches I may need to move seat forward a little the black is 4 inches wide on the lower part of the hull

IM001775.jpg

It as a very dry ride also very little drip in the boat off the paddles and did I say it floats like a cork.
This is a nice little boat and has good performance I want to put a little more weight in it and foot braces and try it again
Good job Mat
I used 4mm 3/16 for everything but the top decks and it is still lighter than 40
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Laker opinion went up a notch
I took the Lake to the river today and played for a couple hours adjusting the trim and a low seating arrangement make this a different boat she did everything I ask her to handled the swift water well and did good I should say excellent job going upstream in pretty shallow swift water. After today I will say I am impressed with the boat.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Thanks Mike
I started the final rigging on the Laker today Laid out my rear hatch cover and cut it.

IM001784.jpg

Started installing the spacer lip
IM001785.jpg

glued that in all around
IM001783.jpg

Started installing the lower lip
IM001786.jpg

the hatch I cut in the rear is 20 inches long and 2 1/2 inches in from each side following the shape of the yak. I found I needed larger openings to get some of my gear into the hatch
I started final sanding for the varnish coats.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
hatch is completed with gasket installed

IM001804.jpg

It will hold a lot of gear
IM001805.jpg

and seals up well good

IM001808.jpg

also got one coat of varnish on

Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ron,

I like it. :D Simple, neat and effective. Might I very res[ectfully suggest a strip of ply round the underside of your hatch lid just to re-infoce it a bit?
Will add a lot of rigidity.

Your big hatch has given me food for thought. My opening is a little small for my liking.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
I put braces undrneath the hatch cover

IM001811.jpg

also the lips under the deck run full length and are glued into the sides that is double 4mm do you still think I need more bracing seems pretty stout .
Ron
Realy want your opinion

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
As Mick would say I took the Laker for a little walk today.
I gave the little boat a good test today loaded it for a day trip and went up the river about 8 miles and then back down.
The conditions were not the best for paddling but for a test they were great the wind was blowing about 20 miles an hour gusting to maybe thirty
rained , got this pic of a rainbow but it is only pic I took because of the rain.

IM001809.jpg

The river was down low so there was a lot of fast water and shallow gravel bars.

I have to say I love the new paddle it is really a big improvement. Ok to the Laker this little boat took everything in stride up the river so easy and moving pretty good as well , weather cocking wasn't an issue at all
I know in some of my post I keep harping on wind being such a big factor here but this afternoon I could set my paddle on my lap and sail right up the river catching the wind on the blades.
I paddled up the 8 miles and then turned around headed back down the Laker was flying just paddling steady not digging in a man would have to run to try to stay up. It is really a fun boat to paddle.
The only problem I had was the seat I am going to have to get it more comfortable. The only problem I have with the Laker is it feels a little unstable But ya'll have to remember I am not a seasoned yaker like some of yall. So take the last statement with a grain of salt. I think I need to roll her over and see where the sweet spot is. Also I weigh 215 but carry most of my weight high I wear a 33 waist jeans . so that may be part of it.
I will make this statement the Laker will stay in my fleet and I bet get used more than my other boats easy to load light short just throw in back of truck and a blast to paddle
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Ozark
The only thing I might change would be using 4mm plywood instead of 1/8 inch on the decks I got a little more wave in them than I like.
I love the big hatch in the rear and I may put in a bulk head and do the same on the front. It is so much easier to get to everything thru the big hatch and water that gets in the boat of off your feet and paddle drip never runs up into your storage. The hatch size is perfect for me.
Ron