Truck Rack Pictures | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Truck Rack Pictures

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Bro Bar... I haz a chrome bumper....
did see up nawth last fall, a fellar had an all steel angle iron boat rack. was niffty... but like he pointed out... hiz wife waz gittin to old to keep hav'in to lift that boat up high an over the front..... :lol:
He seen mah rig wit the back that pivots and such.... he liked that... an I liked hiz front holder on hiz truck.....
Maybe I kin git sumthin goin on...

swampy

Aardvark

My new rack

Looking threough this thread last night and got me an idea and built it today.

I drive a 1960 Land Rover, and in the summer normally run without the hardtop. With hardtop on, hauling materials or a boat is no problem, but sorta difficult with out!

So following the gents idea here, went to Lowes this morning and got 30 feet of 1 1/2 PVC pipe and a bunch of fittings. The soft top hoops on the Landrover fit into 1" holes on the top of the rear body, so some 1" PVC attached to a reducer fitting attatched the rack to the truck, Used some 3/8 locking pins to secure it to the truck and to make it easily removed:

rack2.JPG

Here's the finished project:

rack1.JPG

Seems to be very sturdy!

Whatdya think?

A

Anonymous

Friend Art,

Ya done good. Looks like ya picked a mitey fine parkin' spot too. :wink:

I figgered since ya wuz a smith, ya mite know them Middle Georgia shooters over ta Dublin. With most a them its Lilja this 'n Canjar that.

http://www.mggoa.com/

My canoes iz all high rockered on each end, so I'd need a rack a bit higher'n ya made that one. The little homemade boats Swampy 'n Ole Sparkey built aint got no rocker 'n would set on yer rack jest fine.

regards,

bearridge

When a thing defies physical law, there's usually politics involved.
P.J. O'Rourke

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Art.....
Now you have it made ... a inexpensive rack that will not rust, corrode, peal, fall apart, or scratch your boat and it is quick to put up or take down.
The pins to hold it in place is a good idea.

It would look better if the pirogue was on top of it. :lol:

Bear ......Just an idea because your rack works really good ....It has a lot of miles on it.

If you would do the same but just reverse the way the top members are set up, have the long ones lower and the cross members at the higher setting ... I bet your canoe would sit on it, even with all of the rocker it has.

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Friend 'n High Sheriff,

Back when I had a reglar cab pickup, it wuz eazy. I raised the rear rack (crossbar) bout 6" higher than the front rack (crossbar) so the canoe dont catch the wind. The front a the canoe come down in front a the windshield. It rode mitey good 70-75 miles per hour....big winds 'n big trucks.

When ya git a long cab pickup, ya gotta raise both yer racks (crossbars) cuz the rocker iz gwine ta come down on yer roof. [It puts a deep gash 'n a dent in yer roof if ya aint careful. :cry:]

The only way I kin change my racks iz ta git Chris ta build me a new one. Next time its 1" angle iron. I got one 1 1/2" angle iron, but 1" does jest fine.....3/4" likely would do okay, but my eyebrows went up when I seen how lite it wuz.

I'll raise the both crossbars bout 6" next time. That way I kin load my canoes myownself....even that big red super tanker, but I dont plan ta use it next flatwater paddle.

I may show Chris them pvc pichurs. He laid my water lines on the west 40, so he kin pvc. It would be mitey good if it wuz a way ta make 'em so they would adjust fer Chevy 'er Toyota.

If "we the people" vote fer me in '08 ('n the Florida folks git confused agin), I reckon the Secretive Service law will be totin' all my boats. I reckon they'd have ta run a Federal Bureaucrat check up on ya'll.....jest ta make sure it aint no law breakers in the group. Hmmm....I reckon Mac best not at use hiz reglar name. How bout "Jack Duvall"? I always liked that one.

Ya reckon I understood what ya wuz tryin' ta tell me bout the racks? :mrgreen:

regards,

bearridge
Bodine College of Injuneerin'

Woodrow Call: What do you want legs for anyway? You don't like to do nothing but sit on the porch and drink whiskey!
Gus McCrae: I like to kick a pig every once in a while. How would I do that?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Aardvark said:
Jack-

Actually the Home Brew Shop (Brewmasters, www.brewyourown.com) is mine! (SNIP)
Art - you're a "click fit" with this group. Mind you, now, that ain't much of a compliment. More of an insult, actually.

I'm thinkin that Bear and the High Sheriff will come snoopin around your establishment to sample the wares. Strickly for medicinal purposes, of course.

Thirty five years ago, my home brew tasted bad, but it was 18% alcohol, so no one cared. The Chaplain lived across the street and would walk over to "bless" every batch after it had been kraesening (SP?) for three days. Don and I counted our blessings often.