turkeys | SouthernPaddler.com

turkeys

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I gave up on hunting a while back , to many dang fools out there and especially for the Spring Gobbler hunt....

I was with my Uncle and his son in the Ocala area for a deer season and we stopped at a restaurant during the noon hour for a bite. A table over there were three guys sitting there talking about there morning. The one guy was saying he had a sound shot but missed ........
This keep on for a while with the guy talking about the sound shot.....and my uncle ( was a game warded in Wisconsin before moving to Florida) could not stand it and asked what was a sound shot.......

The guy told us , that is when you hear them and don't see them........ :roll: After we finished our meal we looked at each other ...... got in the car and came home , with nuts like that in the woods and especially with high powered rifles , that is no place to be.
Sad to say it has progressed with the idiots in the woods , they are rapid breeders which I guess might be good for them.

A guy took his wife up there deer hunting and she shot a Dear. The husband put her on a stand and went around to walk and drive a deer past her...... She was sitting there and after a while heard a racket in the bushes , she asked , Honey is that you ... No Answer ... she raised the rifle and cut lose ...... she got her dear , her husband. Listed as a hunting accident.

Then there was this group of really bright guys ..... Early morning just at day break they are driving along and see a bear in this tree , they get out and blast away killing the bear ...Or so they thought. The bear turned out to be a black guy wearing a navy pea coat up in that tree. They could not charge them for murder because they keep swearing up and down they shot a bear , they were arrested for shooting a protective species , bears are on the protection list in the forest.

Back to Gobblers and Spring hunts........ We have quite a few who are good at it and then we have the ones that hear a bid gobble and just shoot that direction , 99% of the time it is a camouflaged hunter doing the gobbling trying to call in some turkeys. Might say he called in a turkey , not the right kind for a dinner. Listed as hunting accidents.....

As I said at the start , to many dang fools out there with high powered guns for me to be there.

Chuck.

dawallace45

We do things a bit different here , Most properties are reasonably large so it's not a real problem most times , but one of the properties I hunt is only 23,000 acres , I went out there for a two week hunt and the mate who owns the place told me that he'd given permission for a guy to hunt but he was leaving that afternoon , I said no problem and I gave him a hand doing stuff around the place that needed two people and went hunting the next day ,

Over the years I've generally hunted by my self , I like being out in the scrub by self , I like not having some one talking to me all the time , but when I do hunt with other people I like to have them where I can see them , the down side is I generally don't see as much game because they tend to want to talk all the bloody time , I did once go hunting with a guy and after the first day I figured his gun handling skills were so bad I dropped him off at one of the dams and I went off and hunted another property 20 km down the road

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I took my oldest daughter squirrel hunting one day when she was about 10 years old. Now, she'd been camping a lot, and was comfortable outdoors etc. But about 5 minutes after we sat down, and I had told her to be quiet and make no moves, she leaned over and asked, "Daddy! Where's the squirrels?' "Shh, Laurie."

Another 5 minutes, and again, "Daddy! Where's the squirrels?' "Shh, Laurie."

Maybe 8 minutes, and same thing. "Honey, you have to be quiet so the squirrels will come out."

A pretty insistent little girl demanded, "Daddy, I AM being quiet! WHERE are the squirrels?"

A pregnant pause, and I asked her, "Would you like us to go back and get a cup of cocoa, Hon?" "Yes, Daddy." sigh I swear I could hear squirrels chortling as we left the woods.

Hot chocolate was good that day.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
dawallace45 said:
I like being out in the scrub by self , I like not having some one talking to me all the time.

David

Same thing with me , out paddling and camping I enjoy the quiet and just easing along. Guess that is why I enjoy paddling solo and camping the same way , you sure do see and hear a lot. One solo trip on the Econ , I just finished my supper of a baked potato and a steak done over the fire..... was sitting back with a beverage in the shade under a nice tree and here comes this wild turkey walking along the bank and almost walked into the camp. If I wouldn't of had supper .... "O" Boy.
Paddling out the next morning, just easing along and not making a sound I came around a bend and there were three bucks out on a grass covered ( sand bar ) point feeding........ Got a really nice picture of them before they realized that wood log was a boat and they headed for the woods. :D

Yep ... the quiet is nice , or as they say ... " Silence is golden " ... something I do not have around the house unless the wife is away for the night or I am out by myself camping. :lol: :lol:

Don't get me wrong , it is a ton of fun when paddling with a group of the guys but someone is always chatting and you never see anything. The racket in camp at night does have it's advantages , the wildlife is heading for the tall timber and no where around camp that night.

Two different styles of camping and paddling , both are a lot of fun , just depends on how you want to do it and what you are looking forward to at that time.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
yea chuck they are that kind of people here too that you don,t want to hunt with too. the people i hunt with i know them . we do alot of deer drives but we know where each other is & who you are hunting with . we dont shoot at the bushes or get some sound shots off. sadly they are people that do that. i have a neighbor that got shot with a 22 magnum while some boys were either deer hunting or turkey hunting. it was a miracle he suvived it . they said he would never walk again but thankfully it gets around.

as far as the peace & quite yea you can see alot more when your by yourself. :D