TV 15-32 SOF | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

TV 15-32 SOF

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
woodman
I guess, if you would strike the object from the side it would have a greater chance of penetration? Probably not a real worry for common sense usage.

Joey
If the water pressure does that, wouldn't that mean there would be a slight tunnel created between the "stringers?" that run from bow to stern?

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Bee, that's kind of what I was thinking about. That might be another subtle design element that's not apparent at first. It could aid in tracking without the need for a skeg.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Something that I'm curious about is the efficiency of whale, shark, & porpoise skin going through the water. Their our layer flexes and bulges within the water. Our soft skinned boats aren't as efficient as hard shelled boats, yet fish out do us with soft skin. How's THAT fair?
Seriously, is a boat covered with animal skins bore efficient than one covered with, say, nylon?
Non-seriously, we can't use animal skins today - but there are plenty of lawyers and politicians out there.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Deleing my lawyer comment, because I don't want to start a hijack of woodmans post. Wonder if the animal skin boats were faster than the new cloth ones. Saw some information about how impressed some of the early explorers were with the kayak's speed.

beekeeper

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Well....Back on the Pirogue....using 8 oz. pollester to cover it...I clamped the fabric on each end and the gunwalls then fliped it over....
I started at the center stapeling and pulling the fabric toward each end....untill I got to the end where the deck starts..
tn_100_2718.jpg

tn_100_2717.jpg

tn_100_2716.jpg

The fabric need's ironed to take out any wrinkles and then paint...Stuck it back in the rack next to the TV 29
tn_100_2719.jpg

tn_100_2721.jpg

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
The average Joe cant even tell my latest kayak is covered with skin..I have to point it out to them......So I figured on a more rustic-see-through type finnish,,,,,

tn_100_2727.jpg

tn_100_2729.jpg

tn_100_2730.jpg

I got to get rid of a couple of boats...2 hanging above the trailer (one is the canoe being raffled off in Aug.) that will help.. :D

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Very nice work.
If a "batter" board was/(could be) added over the stems, would it/(could it be made to) cover the seam?
Building too many boats = not fishing enough. Fish too much = no boat building. :? A win/win. :)

beekeeper

FloatingBear

Aug 10, 2012
Hot Springs Arkansas
Love the the boat including the color. I am in the process of building my first UJ but I will have to admit that I think I am already hooked on this boat building thing for life. Project #2 will be a Yost. Again I Love the SOFP...

FloatingBear

Aug 10, 2012
Hot Springs Arkansas
FloatingBear said:
Love the the boat including the color. I am in the process of building my first UJ but I will have to admit that I think I am already hooked on this boat building thing for life. Project #2 will be a Yost. Again I Love the SOFP...

J I agree with the NPLB!!!

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
I should have posted pics. with the seats....

tn_100_2744.jpg

tn_100_2746.jpg

It has been on the water... with one person in the back weighing 200 and one up front at 145lbs...and it worked just fine didn't have a camera at the time...