UJ bayou skiff | SouthernPaddler.com

UJ bayou skiff

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL
Hi all, name in Ben and I've been lurking here for several months reading up on all the good info about boat building. I've recently been in the process of getting an UJ Bayou Skiff ready to take my little boy out fishing in. So far I've gotten the boat hull built and ready for fiberglass.... sure has been fun so far!! here are a few pics of my build so far. not perfect but I figure it should work for my needs.

https://plus.google.com/photos/101053196997270733460/albums/5701644427222655793

hope the link works

Reactions: Phight

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: 1st post! UJ bayou skiff

Skyrock931 said:
I've recently been in the process of getting an UJ Bayou Skiff ready to take my little boy out fishing in.

I hate to tell you this ........... BUT........ Your son is already fishing out of it according to the one picture. He sure is not letting any grass grow under his feet as far as going fishing. :lol:

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL

So I spent my day off with my son and decided to get the front deck and dry storage compartment cut and dry fitted before I get my fiberglass materials. So far I think I have gotten a decent fit. trying to decide if I want a circle hatch or rectangle hatch to access the compartment on the verticle side. Any thoughts about which would be better?

imag0259pz.jpg

By skyrock931 at 2012-02-10

imag0260y.jpg

imag0258r.jpg

imag0261bm.jpg

imag0262xp.jpg

I have also had a chat with Larry at Raka fiberglass and he gave me an estimate for all the fiberglass materials so I'll have to wait a lil while before I can afford it all. New baby comming any day now so all my boat funds have been for all practical purposes put on hold. Expecting a baby girl!!!

shikeswithcanoe

Feb 4, 2010

Nice work!

As far as hatches go. Aren't the rectangular hatches usually a bit bigger than the round ones (and more expensive)? If money is an issue I think I'd go with the round ones and if you find the round to be a bit of pain you can always take it out and put in the larger rectangular one. And that way you'll have a spare round one so that will give you an excuse to build another boat :)

Congrats on the boat and the fishing son and the upcoming fisherkid number two.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan

"So I spent my day off with my son...." Good one.

The idea of starting with a small, circular hatch with an option of cutting that one out for a larger rectangular one makes some sense. Do you feel a need to close off that area? Could it remain open?

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL

Kayak Jack said:
"So I spent my day off with my son...." Good one.

The idea of starting with a small, circular hatch with an option of cutting that one out for a larger rectangular one makes some sense. Do you feel a need to close off that area? Could it remain open?

I decided to close it in for two reeasons. I liked the idea of a dry storage area for toilet paper and towels if we got wet...lol and also I missaligned the front rib set by almost an inch crooked so I decided to "hide" the error under the hatch. plus it adds an extra sitting platform for a lightweight passenger. I do think I agree with the circle hatch first to see if it works out.

I am trying my hardest to get my son to help me out but it sure is hard to keep a 3 yr old interested long enough before he starts hunting bugs and other lil creatures

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan

Give him some scrap wood and a little bit of water paint. He'll have fun, and it's all washable. Also, get him one of those "bug kits" so he can officially be a bug collector. Give him a specific place in the boat that is his, and a place to store his bugs. That gives him some ownership.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com

Judging from the size of the front deck and peoples habits in the past....... I would make sure there is some form of substantial support under the deck because someone will use it as a step to get into the boat someday. It never fails , pull a boat up on the bank and the 1st thing a person will do is to hop on the deck to jump over to the ground even if the front of the boat is beached high and dry.

Chuck.

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011

Rectangular hatches are easier to put stuff in but are more expensive. Nice work.

hairymick01

G'day Skyrocket and welcome aboard mate!

Nice work on the skiff mate. I have a UJ skiff that is about half done in my shed. Soon as I catch up on some other stuff I have to do, gonna finish her, I hope mine comes out as nice as yours.

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL

so I have been off from work for a few days since my wife had the baby on Valentines Day!! I decided to take a day and drive over to our nearby Bass Pro Shop to look at possible propulsion methods to use with my Bayou Skiff. I am of course going to had a paddle or two but I was looking into getting a decent powered trolling motor so that I may go upstream a bit easier. I cam across this unit and thought it may be the one I go with. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__10151_-1_10051_1201250114 Any thoughts about how well this should work? I was also looking at the Bass Pro Prowler model that had similar specs for a few $ less. looking for salt water versions because I plan to take the boat into some shallow flats areas when the weather permits. Supposedly there is really great redfish and speckeled trout fishing around my area. I've recently had an interview for a better job and my wife told me that any extra $ that I make beyond the current bills she would let me use how I want for the first 2 months :twisted:

bcwetcoast

Feb 11, 2012

Skyrock931 said:
so I have been off from work for a few days since my wife had the baby on Valentines Day!! I decided to take a day and drive over to our nearby Bass Pro Shop to look at possible propulsion methods to use with my Bayou Skiff. I am of course going to had a paddle or two but I was looking into getting a decent powered trolling motor so that I may go upstream a bit easier. I cam across this unit and thought it may be the one I go with. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__10151_-1_10051_1201250114 Any thoughts about how well this should work? I was also looking at the Bass Pro Prowler model that had similar specs for a few $ less. looking for salt water versions because I plan to take the boat into some shallow flats areas when the weather permits. Supposedly there is really great redfish and speckeled trout fishing around my area. I've recently had an interview for a better job and my wife told me that any extra $ that I make beyond the current bills she would let me use how I want for the first 2 months :twisted:

Wife has a baby, you get a trolling motor. Seems like an even deal to me.

Congrats on the new baby.

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL

Its been a while since I've updated this thread but I have now been allowed to buy the finnishing materials for my skiff. I bought a 3 gallon kit of RAKA 127 and medium hardener. tried it out today when I had a few hours to work on it and MAN that stuff sure does get HOT and harden up FAST! :shock: . I mixed up a small (little more than I had meant to) pot and only got a few screw holes and seams filled in before I couldn't hold the pot in my hand.... next time I'll be more careful not to make too much and work a smaller area. I hope the fiberglass cloth on the bottom of the boat will go more smoothly. Hopefully I can have the boat finnished and ready for a test float in the next few weeks

oh and the baby is now one year old last month.... she sure is healthy and makes her daddy proud :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com

When it sets up that fast I will bet you are mixing in to much hardener to the resin ratio. I use the medium from Raka and can use all of it before it starts to set ( heat ) up.
The only time it got to hot to handle was when I screwed up and reversed the mix. That time it did get hot , smoked and was imposable to touch.

Chuck.....

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL

1st layer of 3 .25 oz fiberglass cloth is on and saturated with epoxy. this time the epoxy did not set up or get hot too fast. I guess pouring it out on t he boat and spreading it gives you considerably more time to work with it. next is to let that dry, trim and sand, then get back to it and put the 2nd layer of cloth. RAKA glass sure is really nice and smooth :D

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com

I think you are right about getting more working time when you spread it out quickly. I found that I got more working time by pouring small amounts from a cup or small pot onto a paper plate and working from the plate. The smaller the container, the more it seems to hold the heat in, increasing speed of the chemical reaction.

The other thing I wish I'd known about was since I knew from the beginning I was going to paint the hull (outside anyway,) instead of going for a clear finish, I could have greatly reduced the amout of epoxy needed to fill the weave by mixing in some wood flour. That part of the process would have gone quicker, too.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL