UJ bayou skiff | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

UJ bayou skiff

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Re: 1st post! UJ bayou skiff

Skyrock931 said:
1st layer of 3 .25 oz fiberglass cloth is on and saturated with epoxy........... next is to let that dry, trim and sand, then get back to it and put the 2nd layer of cloth. RAKA glass sure is really nice and smooth :D

:? Is the 2ed layer going over the first layer, or will you have one layer on the inside and another layer on the outside of the boat?

beekeeper

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL

Larry from RAKA suggested to me to do 2 layers on the outside of the lighter cloth to double the coverage on the hull joint. I think I may have gotten enough to do some on the inside where the most weight (me) will be sitting / standing. I'm going to put the runners on the bottom as well to support the weight. Once I finish with the bottom I'm going to flip her over and fillet the seams, and coat it in epoxy. If I have enought left over cloth I'm going to reinforce the larger floor areas.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009

Skyrock931 said:
Larry from RAKA suggested to me to do 2 layers on the outside of the lighter cloth to double the coverage on the hull joint............. Once I finish with the bottom I'm going to flip her over and fillet the seams, and coat it in epoxy...............

No fiberglass on the inside of the joint? :? My understanding was that the purpose of the fillet is to allow the fiberglass cloth to conform to the inside angle of the seam. I assumed cloth or tape was used on both sides.

Thanks
beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan

I agree with reinforcing selected "high stress potential" areas.

You may have already said it, and I may have lost it, but I recommend that you glass the floor on the inside too. When you run that flat-bottomed boat up onto a stump, rock, or any kind of an obstacle - glass on the inside can protect from splitting, checking, and tearing of the wood. Kind of like a fire extinguisher, it has to work only once to pay for itself.

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL

IMAG0020.jpg

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

I've since trimmed all the loose cloth off the edges. Now to do a light sand and procede with the next layer. I'll be coating the bottom and sides up to the water line with graphite so all the rough spots hopefully will not show after those coats. Mine doesn't look quite as nice as Old Sparky's version but I'm really just going for a serviceable fishing platform to get me away from the overfished shoreline locations.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com

Looking good and I bet you are wanting to get it wet. :D
The squared off stern , do you plan on using a trolling motor on it or a small gas one.
Or on the alternative a rudder and rig the boat so you could sail it.

Chuck.

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL

I sure do have the itch to get it in the water but I need to make sure I get all the wood epoxy coated so I don't run into any rot issues. So far there are 2 layers of glass on the bottom and 4 coats of epoxy, I believe I should have enough glass left to get one layer on the inside floor. I have 2 family members with swimming pools that have agreed to let me float test it in safety (per wife's request)
I plan on getting an electric trolling motor to get me where I want to go. I've been looking into the Minn Kota endura C2 55, should give me plenty of power to go up current. Until I can afford to get that though I will be using some paddles and possibly setting up some sort of Sculling oar. If the boat holds up well enough I may eventually get a 2.5 horse outboard but most of the lakes in my area only allow for electric.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com

I think you will find that the electric motor will push you along quite well.
When you put it in the pool the pirogue will feel tippy , the higher your center of gravity is the tipper it will be. It's like riding a bicycle , the 1st time is the hardest then each time after that gets easier.
One thing I suggest to folks is to see how far they can lean it before it flips on them. This is normally done in the shallow part of a lake so the person can stand up after getting wet. A lot of the times a person does not get wet but they do get some water in the boat when the one side lets it over the top rail without the boat going all the way over.
This way you get to know the limitations of your boat.

Chuck.
PS. Living in Florida I assume you know how to swim. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL
so I got one layer of glass on the inside. covered the bottom and almost to the top of the sides. it was much more tricky getting the glass on the inside as the wind kept blowing the loose cloth around. When that layer dries to the touch I am going to put a second coat of epoxy by roller to seal up all the edges and hopefully when that dries I'll be able to get a float test in to see if I have any leaks. With 4 coats of epoxy and 2 glass layers on the outside and 1 glass layer and 2 coats of epoxy on the inside I'm thinking it will be leak free :D . I sure am getting antsy about getting it wet (and not by rain)

Skyrock931

Jan 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL

The boat float was a SUCCESS!! it did not sink nor tip. got nearly 2 hours of time on the pond checking for leaks which I found none. got to throw a fishing line a few times but had more trouble with that than was worth the effort. The photographer (my wife Holly) discovered about 5 or 6 black snakes and that's when the photos stopped. lol. pics to be posted as soon as possible. All in all it was a great day with family in a beautiful surrounding.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Glad to hear the boat is a success but we knew that all along from the pictures of it that you posted. :D We just did not say anything because you needed to get it wet and have some fun from all your work. :wink:
You did the hard part ( I call it the fun part for me , I enjoy making them ) now you get to take it paddling , fishing , goofing off and even camping.

Chuck.