Waterproof Glue | SouthernPaddler.com

Waterproof Glue

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009

Advertised as 100% waterproof and works under water. Is this the same as "below the water line" rated?
Some other glues are advertised as "waterproof" but not necessarily rated for use "below the water line".

PeteStaehling

Aug 23, 2020
Tallahassee Florida
Not sure what this stuff is. My impression is that it is similar to Liquid Nails and other similar construction adhesives. If that is the case, what I have read wasn't very positive for use in boat building. I think there were complaints that the liquid nails type products don't penetrate wood very well and therefore didn't create a reliable bond for use in boat building. There were reports of joint failures.

I have no first hand experience with this stuff though, just reporting something I read in the past. Also, bear in mind that this was based on a possibly false assumption that it is a similar product to other construction adhesives like Liquid Nails.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Haven’t read the label on this stuff but I believe that most gorilla glues are polyurethanes. polyurethanes foam as they cure. They are good glues but the foam is open cell as opposed to closed cell. Open cell foam will permit ingress of water, so while the glue may be waterproof, the wood substrate is not and will eventually fail. But we’re back to the old question of what’s good vs. what’s good enough

PeteStaehling

Aug 23, 2020
Tallahassee Florida
The description on the link is vague on exactly what it is, but not all Gorilla Glue products are polyurethane based. Even digging further to their "Safety Data Sheet" doesn't provide any clues I could find.

They do tend to put their name on some fairly standard products like silicone sealant and duct tape. Those products tend to be high quality, but not normal stuff in my experience.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
The foaming will misshape a joint that isn’t clamped. I didn’t realize that it foamed. I threw it away and went bck to Duco or Testor’s model airplane glue for household repairs. They can be trusted to work. Gorilla can be trusted to mess it up - permanently.

PeteStaehling

Aug 23, 2020
Tallahassee Florida
The foaming will misshape a joint that isn’t clamped. I didn’t realize that it foamed. I threw it away and went bck to Duco or Testor’s model airplane glue for household repairs. They can be trusted to work. Gorilla can be trusted to mess it up - permanently.
It isn't clear (to me at least) from the info on the link but I doubt this particular product does foam. Has anyone used it or otherwise know for sure?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
This is not the model glue in a bottle. When I did a search for polyurethane glues on their site the Heavy Duty Ultimate Construction Glue in the tube does not show. This could mean it is not, or it could mean they don't advertise it as such.
On the link, under Product Features it states Non-Foaming Formula. Can it be polyurethane and not foam?

Last edited: