What Bow fishing rig | SouthernPaddler.com

What Bow fishing rig

dawallace45

Guys , got a problem , I'm looking to buy a bow fishing rig and want to know what to get , my brother has the AMS retriever reel and it seems well made but he hasn't used it yet and I don't know how it will hold up to salt water conditions and being knocked around in a boat all day with sand , salt spray , mud and such , I'm sort of leaning towards the Basic screw in reel http://www.3riversarchery.com/Bow+Fishi ... oduct.html , just for the simplicity , any ideas ?

David

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
David, I'm really skeptical of those retriever reels. I just can't be comfortable with the fact that the retriever reels lay loop after loop of line over each other. Every type of cord, line, string, rope and wire that I've ever seen that done to has inevitably ended up in a tangled mess. A simple hand wound spool, maybe of tough plastic, would be my choice. I made my own out of a 3" PVC coupling. It feeds out line well and is basically bulletproof.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The one I have is made by Bear Archery and is a light weight metal probably aluminum and it just was taped to the bow. I have had it for more then 50 years and it is still as good as the day I got it.
It has been in salt water getting fish , sting rays ( when they were legal , a Leopard rays wings punched out with a small circular cutter taste just like scallops when cooked ) and fresh water for the trash fish ( Catfish & Talaipi ) which are dam good eating.

Only thing when using one , make sure you have a loop of loose line hanging down so when you shoot the arrow so it will peel off. Don't stand on that loop , bad mistake to make. :lol:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I had a retriever and I hated it. no drag just a clumbsey piece of equipment.
Get you a reel seat screw it in the bow,mount you a 808 ZEBCO or an egual closed face spinning reel. the check the line size and get you a spool of braid that is the same diameter.
DO NOT USE THE 400 LB LINE you cant get enough on ,just 30 yards I think. with the braid you can spool on over a hundred yards. Also if the line hangs on something solid as you shoot it will come right back in your face. The 85 lb braid will snap,loosing an arrow is much better than loosing an eye
I have taken fish from a 1/2 lb mullet to a world record 270 lb alagater gar with this rig. It works.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
11-1.jpg

gar8.jpg

gar1-1.jpg

gar2.jpg

There are a few of them
and a pic of my bowfishing rig

IM002169.jpg

Ron

dawallace45

Ron

The closed face reel is one I really hadn't considered mainly because I don't trust them any more , I had a series of Shakespeare closed face reels for tossing small light lures and while they were fine most of the time on the odd occasion they played up and the line jammed and the lure would come back at me , I figured that my reels had come to their use by date and replaced them with a new Zebco that was new on the market here , they had been released with a bit of fan fare and definitely not a cheap item ,

That reel was the worst one I'd ever had , it jammed more than it worked and in a brackish environment seemed imposable to keep from going rusty , I baby my gear and wash them off in fresh water and dry them off after every trip but nothing could keep this bugger from rust , to make matters worse I'd bought a Zebco Spinning reel at the same time and it was the same , seemed like the drag had been cut with a axe it was so rough and it would start rusting as soon as it was shown a picture of salt water , after two weeks I'd had enough and took them back to the store , store said that over 50% of them had been returned and the agent would no longer answer phone calls and it seemed that the phone had been disconnected , these days the only people selling Zebco reels in Australia do so through Ebay .

I just couldn't bring my self to trust them , sounds like you have had years of good service out of yours but I still couldn't trust them , about a year ago a mate bought a PSE kingfisher bow fishing rig and also bought the Zebco reel seat and Zebco reel , about the third shot with it and the zebco the reel jammed about 10 ft out and the line didn't snap , the arrow come back almost as fast as it went out and just grazed the side of his face , just deep enough to leave a scar .

Mate doesn't trust them any more either , he now uses the reel that come with the PSE , I think it was from Cajun archery

By the way Ron that was one nice gar

David

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
David
There are some tricks to this reel .
On every shot back the drag off all the way and then if you do get a malfunction it just pulls drag ,second the pse set up comes with 200 lb line I think, that will come back in your face and if you hit a big fish you dont have enough line on to play him. The Zebco comes with 25 lb test mono. I put 85 lb spider wire on and it is the same dia. but an arrow will snap it.I can put over a hundred yards on and these big fish will make a good run when first hit.They make a zebco 808 that is all plastic case ,might be a good one for salt. I used one for 20 years and finally had it stolen.
The rig I posted has probably landed several thousand fish ,30 over 100 lbs and three over 200 lbs. I have been bowfishing since 75 .guided some ,that first pic stood as the world record for a long time. Oh an each of those pics is a different gar.
Ron
35 years on 2 reels isnt bad

dawallace45

Ron

Not sure what line the mate had on his Zebco but it wasn't the line that come with the PSE kit ,

Your right 35 years on two reels is not only good it's great ,

Had thought about the backing off of the drag on a reel for bow fishing but have to say that after two weeks the drag on my zebco didn't work at all , I still count it and the other zebco I bought at the same time my greatest fishing tackle follies to date

David

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
David
any closed face reel will work that carries 25 lb test mono and backing the drag off and a fish pulling line will keep your drag smooth.
If you ever work it out you want use anything else.
Ron

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
My rig is like Sparker's' a simple aluminum rig that is taped to the bow. Made by Bear Archery in the 70's. I attach the line near the arrowhead and mount the reel so the arrow rest is just above the reel. Leave a couple feet of slack hanging from the arrow.

Nice fish, Ron. Sorta makes my 24-30 inch carp look like bait. :mrgreen:

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
David,

Would a side cast reel work? I don't bow fish, but I've often thought about getting an Alvey reel and trying it for rod and reel fishing. The reels look simple and rugged.

We can get them here in the states ( http://www.alveyusa.com/ ), although I've never seen anyone using one here.

George

dawallace45

George

I think it may be possible but a mate of mine did try it some years back and for some reason it wasn't successful for him , he reckoned there was just more to get the line tangled , I suppose if you already had a Alvey to play around with it might be interesting but I don't and really don't like them all that much so it wouldn't be worthwhile for me to get one on spec

At the moment I'm thinking of getting a Sting-A-Ree II Bowfishing Kit
http://www.shopatron.com/products/produ ... .0.0?pp=8&
as it comes with every thing I'd need including a safety slide

David