What knife do you carry on or with you? | SouthernPaddler.com

What knife do you carry on or with you?

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
I did a forum search on "knife" and "knives" but didn't really see what I was looking for...

I've got a Leatherman multi-tool and I use it a lot. But I'm thinking of adding a fixed or folding bladed knife to my inventory. Looking for opinions and experiences... What do you carry with you when camping or paddling? Is it clipped to you or you gear? Readily accessible or stowed? What do you use it for most?

I found this one, though it's not available until February: http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/423 It might come in real handy, now that Abita Beer stopped using twist top bottles :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Most of the time....since I have a good assortment of knives.

I always take a Swiss Army Champ with me , either ( most of the time ) on me on my possibles container. If there is something you need it normally has it as part of the knife. For a folding ( larger ) knife I have the Gerber Gator. It is attached to the outside of my backpack.
Gerber Gator......
G06064F.gif

In my pocket is a small folding knife from Cabelas that they sent me as a 10 year customer a couple of years ago. It is ideal for getting Viennas out of the can or cutting up stuff for a meal , you know the real important part of camping and paddling , eating. The darn thing surprised me it will keep a good edge and is good quality.

As personal protection it is the "K"Bar the Marines issued back to me in the dark ages it also works wonders on cutting small brush and clearing branches to hang the hammock. It is normally packed and stays with the hammock so I know exactly where it is. It is an old friend that has been with me for a long time. ( 45 years this coming year and it is razor sharp ) :D

I know you are saying .... You said as personal protection. The "K"Bar gets a break when the hammock is packed and a Walther PPKS 380 takes over for it , that is not a knife but does reach out further.

Knives like our boats are a personal choice and just as different as each of us.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I usually have a Leatherman on my PFD. I trade off between a couple of my designs for personal carry. This one is a pretty handy size and shape.
100_0080.jpg

Oldironsides

Nov 20, 2009
Daytona Bch Fl.
I myself are what some call a knife fanatic. If the knife wont shave at all times I dont carry it until I get it back to that state of readiness. I have carried all sorts of knife from fixed blade handmade to Wal-Mart bought folding. Beyond the shdow of a dought my choose of knife is the Spyderco folding knife. I've been carring the Atlantic Salt series as of the last five years.
Many don't like this style of blade but it has found many uses one of which saved a day of fishing when my friend decided to hook himself. The tip of the blade and the sharpness of the blade worked well to cut the hook out of his back. A bandaid and neosporine and he was good to go with no stiches.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I carry a knife that was HAND made by Joey Dupre'. (do not say "homemade", or Joey will temper the next knife by thrusting it, red hot, in between your 4th and 5th ribs. He's usually a friendly sort, but that is tender area for him, I found out.)

He made it special for me, and designed the scabbard to mount sideways on my belt, like Ronnie Smith explained to me. I do not have a picture of it, but am hoping that Joey does.

One criteria for any camp knife is, does it reach to the bottom of the peanut butter jar?

I also carry a Gerber multi tool.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
AG Russel woods walker with me every day with the hip pocket sheath
AGPRS.jpg

Just started carying this one a couple of weeks ago and really like it as a necker
gfa_small_western_trade_knife_full.jpg

Both fairly cheap but take and hold a good edge.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Two: A Scout style folding knife that I received about 50 years ago from Dad.
2. An aluminum framed folder with stainless blade. It just needs drying after a swim.

Oldironsides

Nov 20, 2009
Daytona Bch Fl.
Mike that is a very good article. It reminded me every year my family and I go scalloping and sometimes lobstering, and for whatever reason I leave my knife clipped onto my shorts when I swim. I am almost never without a knife even in church. Until reading that article I didn't realize that I never spray my knife off when I'm done swimming and the blade still looks great. They are pricey but believe me they are worth every dime.

Also if you have a family member in the Army and I can only speak for the Army you can get them at a better rate in the PX. Just n FYI ! Well thats all folks Enjoy.

Jon (OldIronsides)

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
oldsparkey said:
Most of the time....since I have a good assortment of knives.

I always take a Swiss Army Champ with me , either ( most of the time ) on me on my possibles container. If there is something you need it normally has it as part of the knife.

There is a place on the web that sells used Swiss Army knives - both Victorinox and Wenger. I bought 3 Hunters for the gloveboxes of my cars and my bailout bag for about $30, including shipping. Ditto for Fenix 1AA flashlights.

Edit: found the URL: http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index. ... e&Itemid=1

All proceeds benefit a charity that helps needy cat owners provide emergency vet care.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
rpecot i always carry my pocket knife on me. it is a double bladed knife. when i,m camping or hunting usaully i have in a sheaf on my belt a average size lock blade hunting knife like a buck , gerber ect. with the lock blade you have an assurance it doesn,t close on your finger. also i usaully have a knife sharpener for resharping.

you dont really need a jungle bui to do the job. like every body says its what works best for you. different strokes for different folks.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Catfish, I'd urge caution in counting on the lock mechanism on a lock blade knife for protection from closing on your fingers. Take one apart one day and look at how precious little metal is holding that blade open. :shock: The liner lock style might be a bit safer but the Buck type with the notch above the blade pivot is not all that robust.

Joey

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
I take along a "tactical knife". Probably average quality but I make sure it is sharp enough for my needs. The lower end of the blade is serrated for heavier duty cutting. Blade flips out one handed if needed to, and the lock appears quite solid. BUT I always take one or two of them cheap plastic boxcutter knives as well when camping. One goes in my pfd pocket whenever I wear it. At a bout a $ each they are disposable as soon as they begin to look a bit iffy. Perfect for fishing and if you lose one in the water, no big deal. Also nice bright colour to find easily amongs camping/fishing gear.
You know they're sharp (granted not for long) and you know you gots to make sure you close them before you put it back in your pocket... Ok how do I know that :lol:
Regards John.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Carrying a boxcutter along with you seems like a good idea for all of the reasons John mentioned, so long as it doesn't put you over the limit on space or weight. The little skinny blades are fragile compared to a "real" knife, but they cut like nothing else for as long as they last.

OK - show and tell time...
4233281449_087bffd276_o.jpg

Upper left is a Grohman boat knife, same brand and similar size to Jimmy's, but a different blade style. I carry this on the water along with some sort of pocket knife. The sheath is secure, and I put my hand through the lanyard before pulling the knife out. A nice, well made general purpose knife. I'd recommend Grohman to anyone.

Next down is a Puma Prince folding hunter. It's a lovely sturdy traditional type of a knife that I carry on day hikes. (along with a smaller pocket knife)

Next, with the blue aluminum handle, is a Puma rescue knife I got on sale for about $50. Nicely made, partially serrated, and with a blunted tip. I've been wearing that on my work pants lately, using it for opening cardboard cartons, cutting through stretch wrap, etc. It isn't perfect for anything, but it is versatile and sturdy.

Top right is probably the best all around every day knife I have, a Benchmade Mini Griptillian. Great all purpose blade design, wonderful lock mechanism, well made. Small enough to be clipped in my pants pocket or waist band without bugging me, that knife gets carried more than anything else. I like something larger for outdoors activity - like the Puma or the Grohman - but for just walking around, this is my go-to knife. They make a larger version that would be a good choice for an outdoor knife, if a one hand opening folder suits your fancy. Kinda pricey, but really well made.

The little two bladed Buck folder spends more time in my pocket than any other knife. Made in USA, very inexpensive. I cut off the tip of the small blade to make it more like the spey blade on a stockman. Good for opening boxes.

The Browning stock knife with the rosewood handles was a birthday present from my dad when I was just a kid. I don't like a pocket knife that bulky (rather have it on a clip or in a sheath) but it is a nice German knife and I carry it once in a while just because.

The next folder down is a pretty large Boker. Decent knife, but I don't use it that often. Too bulky for day to day carry, and the Puma hunting knife is sturdier when I'm hiking.

Itty-bitty Case two bladed folder for slacks when I really don't want large chunk in my pocket.

At the bottom is a US Army Camillus that was given to my dad by a family friend. I can remember dad opening cans of Pennzoil with it, and doing other abusive chores. It is a hard knife to hurt!! It seldom leaves my nightstand. Lives next to a .357 that is part of an entirely different collection of tools.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Better picture of my everyday knives.

Benchmade calls the lock mechanism the "axis lock". The metal button right next to the hinge pin slides back and forth to release the blade. Works better than any locking knife I've ever had. One nice thing about it is that you can pretty easily CLOSE the knife one handed, which can be darned important in a situation where you are needing to work one handed. Sooner or later you have to put the thing away.

4234143228_d7a208c78a.jpg

Mutinousdoug

May 7, 2005
Colorado
Daily I carry a Case Swayback jack in CV. The main Warncliffe blade is overrated as a multi-purpose blade but it's great for whittling and slicing apples (and sucks for slicing salami or cheese on a breadboard [a knife with some belly or an offset handle is better for that]). When I'm going to be in a canoe, I have a Case SS medium stockman and the little Russell Woodswalker (also SS) in a neck sheath that Swamprat showed. Hunting, I have an Old Hickory skinner cut down into a 4.25" Nessmuk knife that's as big a fixed blade as I need to slaughter anything up to elk size. It's not a fish knife; I have an old Gerber "Pixie" for that.
Doug