What knife do you carry on or with you? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

What knife do you carry on or with you?

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
joey you do have a good point about the locking mechanism i guess its like the safety on a gun you know you don,t want to look down the barrel but knowing it has a safety on it is a little piece of mind. got to remember though anything thing man makes can & will fail at some point. :(

while you brought up the knife question i just thought of one of have. i don,t really know what kind of brand name knife it is? it is a single blade lock knife about 4" opened up with a bobcat on the side of blade. i broke the blade point & havent seen one anywhere? i found it years ago is one of the best knifes i have ever had.

maybe some of you guys have seen or heard of it & know where i might could get a new one. any info would be appreciated. (cat)

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Catfish
That might be a Puma they made pretty good knives at one time
I love knives and have a bunch but here are the ones I carry camping.
Buck stockman pocket knife two blade,gutted many a hog and deer with that knife.
On pfd cheap folder blade is half smooth and half serrated
In my pack a Gerber folding knife
Gerber winchester bowie its a big knife but not to thick a blade stays in pack or strapped outside my right calve
if I am running throw lines or drop lines
Always have my Ontario machete 21 inch with me.
Buck is always with me the rest I carry as the situation calls for
Ron

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
hey ron it might have been a puma but it had bobcat written on the blade . maybe i can take it to a knive show one day & someone can help me identify it. the thro lines you are talking about i assume is what we call trot lines or bush hooks? i like to have a knive handy when i,m running them too especially thetrot lines in swift water . there is alot that can happen quickly.

swordfight

Feb 2, 2010
i usually carry this knife. my dad gave this last christmas. its a great knife!
VictorinoxTrekerOneHandOpener.jpg

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
mike the blade on mine was more pointed & the handle was a little different. mind looked a little bit smaller but that does look close to what i have. thanks for info cat

islandpiper

Here's my Swiss Army with lots of miles on it. Great tool. If this one is in my pocket for more than two hours at a stretch it's been a quiet day.

DSCF0021.jpg

That's one of the 6-7 folders i always have on board. Yes, i unload them before i get weighed at the Doc's office.
piper

WDfrmTN

gbinga said:
OK - show and tell time...
4233281449_087bffd276_o.jpg

At the bottom is a US Army Camillus that was given to my dad by a family friend. I can remember dad opening cans of Pennzoil with it, and doing other abusive chores. It is a hard knife to hurt!! It seldom leaves my nightstand. Lives next to a .357 that is part of an entirely different collection of tools.

Yup, design copy of the original USMC fighting knife (K-Bar). The older set between brother Jim & I are a 'true' K-Bar and a Camillus, both USMC. I have an old WWI 'medical corps bolo' for which I'd love to find a sheath.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have one of the original USMC fighting knife (K-Bar) that was issued to me back in the middle 60's by the USMC. In fact I was sitting out on the porch last evening and putting an edge on it thinking about an upcoming paddling trip. Did not take a whole lot of work to get an edge on it that will shave and/or cut if you are not careful...... Don't ask , it was not that bad. :roll: :roll:

Chuck.
PS. It has been a good friend to have along with me the last 45 ( or so ) years.

I always carry when camping a Grohmann Russel belt knife that was issued to me many years ago. It is a great "do all" knife.

My latest sharp love is the Leatherman Skeletool in titanium. They took all the crap you never use off the leatherman and scaled the weight back to nothing. This has a permanent place on my belt, I never leave home without it.
skelcx1op.png

islandpiper

I'm down to five now......on a daily basis in town. i leave some of them in the dry-box when i'm in the swamp. My new favorite is a Leatherman Skeletool that Kayak Jack gave me for my 600th birthday. It had very few tools on it, not like the usual Leatherman. But, all the tools are good ones. Nice, one handed knife, good pliers with GOOD wire cutters and a pair of screwdrivers with good points.....and the belt catch is a bottle opener. Just that simple....no light, no pen, no cellphone or voice recorder, no little eye glasses repair kit.....just the basics. And the basics are good. I about had a heart attack last week when i realized it was not hanging on me. After racing around looking in the cars, and under the cars and on all the flat surfaces here at home and on the benches at work....it was in the laundry on the last pair of shorts i wore. Whew.

Thanks again Jack. 'Nother couple of decades and i'm going to catch up with you.

piper

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
In the field, or mowing the yard I always carry at minimum a old imperial scharade sharpfinger. If I am going to be gone in a more rugged setting, am hunting anything more than squirrel, or camping I carry a classic USMC Kabar. If I am going to be in the water alot, and I know that I am going to be in the water alot I have a few different dive knives to choose from.

I am currently thinking about the purchase of a kabar becker bk2 to fill the gap because some of the game wardens get grumpy if you are carrying a blade over the 5.5" limit in Texas.

At work I always have a imperial scharade 3 blade yellow handled pocket knife in my watch pocket.

Richard

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
They have a limit on blade length?? Ya'll need to fix that. Flipping governments. :evil:

I'll admit that I never carry anything much over four inches on hikes or boating, but as a matter of principal, that just bugs me.

What if a person is out in the woods and has a machete hanging off of his belt or pack?

George

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I have carried a pocket knife every day of my 48 years it seems. I have found what I think is the perfect everyday knife, it just works for me. The swiss army Spartan. Knife holds a shaving edge pretty well and every other tool on the knife has been used and done a good job. Especially the cork screw :) Small enough to not hardly feel in my pocket but big enough that I don't loose it every other day.
vm_53151_sol_a02.jpg

I too am surprised and dismayed that Texas would have such a law. In a state where you can shoot a thief on your lawn you can't stab him with a big knife.......doesn't seem to make sense.

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
Yeah I never understood it. You can't legally carry a tomahawk here either. Swords being banned I could ALMOST understand, but I think we have tooo many laws anyway. If some guy decides to opt out of concealed carry but wants to pack a broadsword across his back, I STILL don't think a punk with a switchblade is gonna mug him, but thats just me. If you are carrying a machete and camping you are good, because it's legal. bowie knives, and knives with blades over 5.5 inches fixed or 4.5 inches folding are illegal.... go figure. I pack either a snubnose 38 or a full sized 1911A1 milspec and I am ok, but if I slap a USMC Kabar on my side, or a tomahawk on my pack then the officer can do anything he wants from just giving me grief, to seizing the knife, writing me a multithousand dollar ticket, and in some jurisdictions lock me up for up to 45 days (Harris county, also known as Houston Texas). If he decides I was breaking some other law (like jaywalking) while carrying the knife I can spend up to 6 months in jail..... like I said it's crazy.

Richard