What knife do you carry on or with you? | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

What knife do you carry on or with you?

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
I attached a picture of my usual carry items. A USMC Kabar, A Scharade sharpfinger, a scharade 3 blade pocket knife, a 38 snubnose, a 1911A1, and a Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC

Richard

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
GoodOlBoy said:
Yeah I never understood it. You can't legally carry a tomahawk here either. Swords being banned I could ALMOST understand, but I think we have tooo many laws anyway. If some guy decides to opt out of concealed carry but wants to pack a broadsword across his back, I STILL don't think a punk with a switchblade is gonna mug him, but thats just me. If you are carrying a machete and camping you are good, because it's legal. bowie knives, and knives with blades over 5.5 inches fixed or 4.5 inches folding are illegal.... go figure. I pack either a snubnose 38 or a full sized 1911A1 milspec and I am ok, but if I slap a USMC Kabar on my side, or a tomahawk on my pack then the officer can do anything he wants from just giving me grief, to seizing the knife, writing me a multithousand dollar ticket, and in some jurisdictions lock me up for up to 45 days (Harris county, also known as Houston Texas). If he decides I was breaking some other law (like jaywalking) while carrying the knife I can spend up to 6 months in jail..... like I said it's crazy.

Richard
Richard,
Stay the heck out of Houston. Ain't much worth having over there anyway. If ya want to carry a long knife on your hip come to Anahuac. No one will notice or care.
Bob

rogerx

Jun 23, 2011
I carry this one.
foldingknive.jpg

Folding knife with brass knuckle.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Now that I think about it, here in Georgia we only recently fixed our concealed carry laws so as to cover knives. Up until a year ago it was possible for a person with a pistol permit to get busted for having a concealed knife!!

GBinGA

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I went to a gun show in Pt. Arthur today and picked up a couple of machetes. A 21 inch Onterio Knife with a D handle and a 18 inch Moore Maker. Both are made out of the same kind of steel. The Onterio has more reach but the More Maker is thicker. Couldn't make up my mind so got both.
Bob

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
A friend and I went hunting one day 60 miles from home, I was carrying a single shot .22 and a Swiss army knife. About a half hour into our hunt the firing pin on my gun broke in two, it was the flat key shaped type firing pin. What to do? luckily the Swiss army knife had a file blade, a screwdriver blade, and a hacksaw blade. I used the screwdriver blade to unscrew the trigger guard, which was a flat piece of metal, I pounded the trigger guard out flat between two semi flat rocks and used the awl blade to trace and scribe the shape of the broken firing pin on the flattened trigger guard, there was an old weathered fence post near by with a number of cracks in the top so I pounded the flatend trigger guard into one of the cracks like a vise and using the file and hacksaw blades fashioned a working firing pin and was able to continue with the hunt.