What to do with leftover Bourbon | SouthernPaddler.com

What to do with leftover Bourbon

islandpiper

One way to use that bit of bourbon that sits in the bottom of the bottle...

Heat the oven to 350 degrees

Set a single crust piecrust in a pie tin.....8 or 9, makes no real difference. And, pre-bake it a little.....or use a graham cracker crust.

Melt one stick BUTTER, not margerine.....in a mixing bowl and add ONE 19 OZ. BROWNIE MIX.....then two large eggs, and 1/4 cup bourbon..( now, with my vision I try to make that a real 1/4 cup, but lots of times I screw it up the first time and after pouring it in, I do it over to make sure it is OK......get it? Use up to 1/2 cup if you want) mix it with a big spoon, not too much, just enough to eliminate the dry spots, don't worry about a couple of lumps. Pour it into the pie crust, and top with a handful of chocolate chips or chopped leftover mackinac island fudge or a Hershey Bar and a handful of pecans.....

Then, into the oven for about 40 minutes. Cook it, but don't overcook it.....it should be just a little gooey the next day, you don't want a dry brownie...

these will survive on the counter top, covered for a week or so till somebody finds out you've made it and then it won't last five minutes. Good right away, but the bourbon flavor will develop for 48 hours or so.....ya, boy......that's good eats.

Easy to make and take someplace where you want to make points. Church Pot Luck Dinner might be the wrong place.....most other invites will be OK. I just took two of these out of the oven, can't wait till breakfast now. ( I figure the eggs in 'em make 'em just like breakfast food)

Enjoy, Piper

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
I had a look at the dry bottom of my Jack Daniels 'Single Barrel' bottle. Not much left over in there :(

Reminds me of a 'helpful tip' on TV "And now we will look at how to use up left over wine"... my wife and I looked at each other, not usually a problem in our house!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
"Corn don't grow on Rocky Top, it's too rocky by far.
That's why all the folks on Rocky Top keep their corn in a jar."

Danged stuff seems to evaporate! Or seep out through the glass bottle.

I learned to buy better liquor. First stuff I drank etched the glass.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
" What we found out has really surprised us. The conventional wisdom accepted by just about everyone in the food world is that all the alcohol you add to a dish evaporates or dissipates during cooking. It’s wrong. In fact, you have to cook something for a good three hours to really eradicate all traces of alcohol. And some cooking methods are less effective at removing alcohol than just letting it stand out uncovered overnight. "

Now I know why I like cooking with wine........ :D

Chuck.

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Now I'm HUNGRY Chuck (mmmm slow cooked pork with red wine...)

Mind you we have an Epoisse cheese for supper tonight, so I have to pop out soon for a robust red wine. It is a great cheese which I first had in a vinyard in France. It does pong though. If you took one on a trip it would keep the gators away ;-)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Steve ... Try this , I cooked it on some camping trips , when we stayed in one campsite , and there was NOTHING left over. It is some sort of good.

2 tbsp cooking oil
* 7 steaks or one round steak making 4 pounds total.
2 cans (6 oz each) Mushroom steak sauce.
* 1 cup sauterne wine
* 1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped pimento
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp celery seed
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tbsp bitters (Peychaud or Angostura)
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp Louisiana hot sauce or 1/2 tsp Tabasco.

Heat the cooking oil in a Dutch oven or large container. Add meat, and cover with the rest of the ingredients, salt & pepper to taste. Cover and let cook over a low heat for 2 or 3 hours.

That is out of Justin Wilson's #2 cookbook: Cooking Cajun........
Now I use a * roast that is big enough to cover all of the bottom of my pot, the roast has to be cut so it fits in there. Then I brown it in the hot oil on both sides of the roast. When that is done then I add the rest of the stuff but I use a * whole onion, diced up and between * 2 ---3 cups of wine as the liquid and add more as it cooks to keep everything wet. If you can't find Sauterne wine a * White Chablis (Gallo Brothers) works just as good and cost a lot less.

I start this in the morning and let it go all day till the meat pulls apart ....At this time any bones are removed along with any fat floating on the top. I would say it cooks from about 9 in the morning to around 5 in the afternoon without any lid on the pot, just an open top. Boy does it stink the house up some sort of good.

Now do up some rice and get a loaf of French bread or make some bread at home to have with it. ( I prefer the home made bread) Make a bed of rice on the plate (or noodles) and then add this to the top of that bed ... sit back and enjoy a great meal. The left overs are even better the next day.
Cooking Hints.

1. It is permissible for the cook to sample the wine, We have to make sure it is OK to cook with.

2. Make sure you add wine to this as it cooks and the liquid evaporates, you have to keep it wet and ........ DON'T ADD ANY WATER ...... just wine so make sure you get a large bottle of the wine. It will cover the cooking and the cook tasting it. :lol:

3. Let some butter get soft and then add, your choice of the amount, some gar-lick to it so you have some good butter to smear over the bread when you are not sopping up the juice from the main course.

Chuck.

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Wow Chuck,

That's some camp cooking! Beats my bean surprise (baked beans with chilli!).

We have a slow-cooker at home. It has a large ceramic pot with a lid and it sits in a heating jacket that uses about as much power as a light bulb. If you put cheaper cuts of meat in with some for ~6hrs or more all the chewy bits turn to gravy and the meat is juicy and tender.

Actually slow-cooked meat is becoming trendy in England in the trendy type of resaurants that I don't go to.

I have always thought that peasant cooking is the best. Your one pot Cajun recipe serverd with a strong red wind and fresh bread... heavenly.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Steve

We have a slow cooker, it is called a Crock Pot, the wife loves to use it but since she has trouble boiling water most of the cooking, all right all of it ..... is left to me.

I like to use the cast iron (Dutch Ovens) on the stove, they turn out some good meals here at home or out in the woods.

I cook that beef mix up ( Beef Etouffe'e ) for special occasions there are always a few more folks coming by for supper, that aroma is something else ( Guess I better cook it when the windows are closed or don't tell the kids when I make it) but the left overs are even better .... When we have left overs here at the house.

Never any left overs when out camping, those guy's want to eat the pot when everything is gone. :lol:

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hey Chuck,

I was wondering about your " dutch oven" :D we call em camp ovens and I allways thought they were an Aussie icon. - apparently not. :D

Mine holds 3 imperial gallons and I don't use it nearly enough. Have you tried slow cooked corned beef, with an onion, table spoon of dijon mustard and an onion and a cup of brown vinegar thrown in.

A couple of hours before it is done, cut up some pumpkin and thrown that in with a bunch of whole potatoes.

Oh yeah, you crazy buggers use pumpkins as stock food. criminal waste. :lol:

islandpiper

Mick, your corned beef is what happens when they spice up a brisket. We get brisket here year round and make it in the oven, the dutch oven, the smoker, the slowcooker.....almost any way. The secret is cooking long and slow.......

If you hang around with the pipe bands I've always worked with then St. Pat's, the most glorious holiday season of all, is marked with days of corned-beef and cabbage. Ya, that and a few Guinness, not too cold.

Erin go braugh!

Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
There are two types , the one with the lip around the lid so hot coals can be placed on there for some heat from the top

lodge-camp-dutch-oven-deep.jpg

Then the round top one.

lodge-kitchenstyle-dutch-oven.jpg

Chuck.