What to do with leftover Bourbon | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

What to do with leftover Bourbon

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mine is a bit different than either of those. The bottom has a handle that goes straight out like on a frying pan. It is, in effect, a 4" deep cast iron frying pan.

The lid has an identical handle. The lid is a shallow frying pan about 1/2" deep. Its bottom is straight across & smooth.

This kind of a pan is called a "4 in 1 Combination" pan. You can cook in a covered vessel - either way up. Or, you can cook in an open vessel - either way up.

I've never tried putting burning coals on the lid to cook in camp, bu it looks to me as though it would work nicely.

My two cast iron frying pans are square. Easier to make grilled cheese sandwiches that way.

My cast iron grill for the stove covers two burners. Great for grilling shish kebabs.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi jack, Both those sorts are available over here :D

Mine is like the top one. the coals in the lid are great for browning a roast (especially roast chook - err chicken) :lol:

also, a great way to bake a cake :D

the recessed lid makes a superb frying pan for shallow frying fish etc.

have you tried an Irish stew done in a camp oven?

what I do is get some cheapcuts of meat, lamb neck chops or shanks ect. brown im in the pot then add whatever vegetables are at hand, add them and a little water (very little) salt & pepper and real slow cook just on the edge of the coals with a couple of coals on the lid.

rabbit also cooks very well this way.

properly seasoned, the quality cast iron ones are the original non-stick appliance. :D :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I always used to take mine with me. Then, when we started going to Canada and doing portages, Charlie & Doug told me to get something that weighed less than 11 pounds. So far, I've gotten 3-4 pots that weigh less, but NOTHING that will cook as well.

Mz jean's steaming BakePacker is the best substitute I've found.

islandpiper

Jack, I have gone to see the bakepacker onlline......looks nice, but I just can't get over thinking that everything would just be gooey where it touches the bag.......tell us more about the texture, surface "feel" of the food, consistancy, etc. A calzone, for instance, with a plain, white Bunny Bread texture just doesn't sound good..

Thanks for your input!

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I reduce the moisture content by 10%-20% for bread to be steamed rather than baked in an open pan in the oven. When you peel the bag off the bread, it is still damp. Dries pretty rapidly. Cornbread is scrumptious!

Tex-Mex Cornbread
1 cup yellow corn meal; 1 ½ tsp baking powder; ½ tsp salt; 2 Tbsp oil; 1 tsp sugar; 1 egg, beaten; 1 ea 8 oz can cream style corn; ½ cup milk (½ cup water + 3 Tbsp powdered milk USE ONLY 1/3 cup water if steam baking); 4 oz (1 cup) shredded cheese; 1 small onion chopped; 2-3 Tbsp jalapenos / peeled green chilies
8" SQR pan greased, 450F 20-30 minutes; or steam 35-40 minutes

I use a steamer basket too.