What went wrong ? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

What went wrong ?

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The rivers arnt the only time a fellow can get in trouble it can happen anywhere.
In my younger days I use to do a lot of cowboying helping out soe friends of mine that had a 35 thousand acre ranch.
I had a horse go down when he fell I caught myself with my right arm
blew it right out of socket was sticking up several inches after I got over the shock I got up pulled my belt off wrapped it around my wrist put the end under my boot and jerked up poped it back into place I also had 4 broken ribs and a banged up knee about five miles from the ranch house
I started for there after I took the belt and strapped my arm to my waiste,several hours later I did the Texas two step or shuffle into the light of the house and no one was there so drove about twenty miles to the hosp. They told me if I hadnt poped it back in that quick(before it swelled ) they would have to do it surgically was stove up for a few days
shoulder still bothers me .
I had no help till the next morning so you do what you have to do.I have been told that folks make up there mind in 4 hours if they are going to live or die. I believe that.
Ron

dawallace45

Bloody hell Art , those sorts of injuries are a hell of a lot worse than heat exhaustion and being sick from bad water , being able to crap through the eye of a needle from 20 paces just pales into insignificance

We all do silly things from time to time , we start to take our surroundings for granted and think what we are doing is no big deal , most of us only do it once and learn from it if we survive , your post just reminded me that I have to upgrade my old day pack , it's on it's last legs , I always carry some emergency gear in it as well as a pile of muesli bars and cup-a-soups

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Art,

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I have no clue about your bush, rivers or even what is must be like to carry a canoe over a beaver dam. It is clear to me that you have survived a horrible experience - one that would have killed many.

I am a bushman, however and from reading your story, have learned some valuable lessons here.

All my life, I have treated our bush, oceans and rivers with a sort of complacent contempt. Sort of like, "I am a native of this land. I know you, You are dangerous but I know what I am doing and you can't get me"

Bloody lunacy!

Thank you for sharing this here. Hopefully others (like me :oops: ) will take the time to read this thread in its entirety and learn similar lessons.

Bloody good on ya mate!

respectfully,

mick

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister High Sheriff,

I aint a computer nerd like piper....yet, but I wuz readin' in the screwup section bout how ya gotta be careful 'er tough. I figgered that tale frum Art would fit rite in.....so I jest put the link there. Lo 'n behold the whole dang thing jumped back up to the top here in the trip reports. Shezaaaaam! 8)

Fer my next trick I aim ta pull a rabbit out of my hat.....the stylish one. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge
bodine 01010101

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't. - Unknown

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Mister High Sheriff,

I aint a computer nerd like piper....yet, but I wuz readin' in the screwup section bout how ya gotta be careful 'er tough. I figgered that tale frum Art would fit rite in.....so I jest put the link there. Lo 'n behold the whole dang thing jumped back up to the top here in the trip reports. Shezaaaaam! 8)

Fer my next trick I aim ta pull a rabbit out of my hat.....the stylish one. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge
bodine 01010101

I was wondering what happen ... it is always nice to see something from Art , he has a ton of tails to tell , I enjoy all of them and only Art would do a lot of the things he has done. :lol:

Chuck.