Woo Hoo! They're Back!!!! | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Woo Hoo! They're Back!!!!

captcj

Mar 15, 2008
N. Central FLA
KJ: sushi?
Bearridge: cedar board?

That sounds like some yuppy BS to me. :x

Bleed and ice immediately, if not sooner.

Steak those tuna about 1 - 1.5" thick, season like beef, cook very close to the very hot coals of a hardwood or charcoal fire, till well-carmelized on the outside and very rare in the middle 1/4 to 1/3. Ain't nuthin finer.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Tuna steaks in a red wine sauce
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
4 tuna steaks around 1 1/4 pounds
salt and pepper
2 or 3 shallots
small bunch of tarragon if you can get it.
2 or 3 sprigs of fresh parsley if you can get it.
1 cup of red wine

Cut butter into cubes and heat 1 tablespoon into a heavy frying pan until foaming. Sprinkle the tuna steaks on each side with salt and pepper, add them to the pan and saut'e over high heat about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes per side.
Peel and and slice the shallots thin. Be sure the tuna steaks are browned on both sides. Strip the leaves from the stems.
Check the steaks on with a knife to your taste for how you like it done. Put them on a plate and keep them warm, chop the herbs.
Put the shallots in the pan and saut'e stirring for a minute or two. Add the red wine and boil fast until reduced by about a half. Turn off the heat and whisk in the remaining butter until it softens and thickens the sauce a little. Stir in the the chopped herbs. Place the steaks onto plates and spoon the sauce over the steaks.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
captcj said:
KJ: sushi?
Bearridge: cedar board?

That sounds like some yuppy BS to me.
Friend cj,

It jest aint eazy fer some folks....like that time some of the fellas tried ta talk Queen Isabell outta pickin' up the tab fer the Nino, Pinto 'n Santo Marino. Even Truthful Jack figgered the sun circled round the earth.....til that time him 'n Copernicus went ta pullin' on that jug 'n figgered out it wuz the other way round. :wink:

regards
bearridge

I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo Galilei

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
Tuna steaks in a red wine sauce
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
4 tuna steaks around 1 1/4 pounds
salt and pepper
2 or 3 shallots
small bunch of tarragon if you can get it.
2 or 3 sprigs of fresh parsley if you can get it.
1 cup of red wine

Only one cup of wine ?????? What about the dehydrated cook or thirsty guests :lol: Jezzzzzeeeee not even saying anything about checking the quality of the wine , quality control ya know. Ya should never cook with a wine before it is it's time.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I am inclined to agree with CJ on this one guys - only I fillet. Tuna steaks are over - rated in my opinion.

I marinate the fillets in a mix of equal parts, Soy and Worcestishire sauce, lightly coat in unseasoned flour and straight onto a very hot barbeque plate. 8) would put a horn on a jellyfish. 8)

OK,

Went out yesterday and made a BIG mistake. I went to Hervey Bay instead and there were no tuna there. Lots of rat mackeral busting up the surface everywhere but they were only little ones at around 20 inches.

Caught a few and let them all go. Not at all what I was after.

At least, it was a beautiful day. Classic Queensland pre- winter or late autumn weather. Cool early, nice warm day at about 75 degrees and light winds.

I trolled shallow diving minnows all over the place and could only get these little rats so i gave up and just enjoyed the paddle. :D I reckon catching fish on days like this are a bonus anyway. :D

some piccies.

I put in at a local outrigger canoe club at late dawn.

IMGP0788640x480013.jpg

IMGP0789640x480014.jpg

Outrigger canoeing is HUGE in Aus. Clubs are springing up everywhere and there are waiting lists in allmost all of them to get a seat in a team. Hervey Bay Outriggers have grown from just one boat to their own dedicated facility with rack opon rack of O.C. 1s, 2, 4s, and 6s. in a very few years. I think if they had 10 more boats, they could fill them all.

I digress (as usual) :oops:

After getting fed up with these rat mackeral, i headed to a sand spit about 5 miles away to pump some yabbies (ghost shrimp) and try for some good eating pan fish (whiting) Hervey bay Peir in background.

IMGP0790640x480015.jpg

Slow paddle back along in the shallows in about 10" of very clear water, casting unweighted yabbies at every whiting school I saw.

IMGP0792640x480017.jpg

IMGP0796640x480021.jpg

Taking the odd landscape shot as i went for my good friend Bear. 8)

IMGP0794640x480019.jpg

IMGP0797640x480022.jpg

IMGP0795640x480020.jpg

Finally got back to my put in at about lunch time where I got a nice feed of whiting. There was a Chinese tourist there waiding trying to catch a fish but he clearly had no clue with fishing in our waters. As I pulled ashore he came over and asked me what he was doing wrong. he had a whole cooked king prawn on a hook that was nearly as big as the fish I was catching. I showed him how to rig and gave him the last of my yabbies and wished him luck.

No tuna, but still had a great day on the water. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
naw....jest walk up close, take yer pichurs 'n ask if any of 'em are nurses. :mrgreen: :roll: :roll:

People have criticized me because my security detail is larger than the president's. But you must ask yourself: are there more people who want to kill me than who want to kill the president? I can assure you there are. Marion Barry

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
:shock: DAMN MICK! I gotta run out for a stronger prescription of glasses tomorrow. :?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys,

Was a great day out.

My little Pentax only has a 3 times optical zoom. i am feeling the need for something much more capable. :twisted:

Every year, thousands of European and US back-packers descend on this area for work and R&R (cheap accommodation) and to take advantage of our lovely winters.

Topless photo opportunities abound. :D All piccies of Landscapes were taken and posted with the permission of the subjects concerned. :D Actually, they were quite pleased that somebody "noticed" them. :D

All such piccies have now been deleted from my hard drive and recycle bin in anticipation of when Miss Robin returns. :p