Wood fired camp stove | SouthernPaddler.com

Wood fired camp stove

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I came close to making that stove about three times. Not sure why I didn't. Let me know how it works if you make one, OK?

Others on here like the ZIP stove w/ battery powered blower. I like the Little Bug stove http://www.littlbug.com/stories.html

In truth, a hole in the ground with a few rocks will do the same thing as any of these stoves. I can't carry the rocks, but I do always carry and extra hole to lay down for a fireplace.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Only difference I see is a bit wider at the bottom. I'd avoid using galvanized metals for a firebox, as he suggested. The zinc will vaporize & you will breathe in a bit. Not conducive to longevity.

Were I to use this stove, I'd likely put a thin layer of sand on the bottom each time before firing it up, so as to protect and save the bottom. I guess aluminum foil would serve that purpose too.

If all you're doping is boiling water, darned near anything will do. When riding dirt bikes on Saturdays. I'd just use my heel to spin a cone-shaped depression, gather a few sticks in a log cabin or tee pee formation, clean the ends of a couple of sticks and dip them into the gas tank of my bike, and start a quick fire. I'd boil a near pint of water in the canteen cup, toss in ramen soup and some chopped onion. I'd be eating while others were screwing around trying to start a fire.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When I take out by myself I like to use the little beer can stoves , they run off denatured alcohol and do a good job for me.

Now I am not doing a big pot of coffee , just boiling some water and then doing a pot of soup or something that is heat and eat.

In fact later this month I will be camping and that will be the stove I use., we are hitting the fire danger zone so something like that no one fusses about since it is small and self contained. The whole thing fits in the pot , stove , fuel , everything which makes for a nice light weight and small package.

Plus you have to drink the beer to make the stove , if you don't drink beer then some buddy is always happy to help on that part. Most folks make them from Pepsi or Coke cans I like the larger ones from the 24 oz Bud cans. :lol:

For serious cooking , like doing a cake , pizza , corn bread , pancakes regular bread or even chicken an dumplings or something that takes some time then the Zip stove and a Bakepacker oven. No problems with it , there's plenty of fuel around to keep it going.

Chuck.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Absolutely don't use unfired galvy. I tend to eat a little better than ramen noodles on my weekend passes from the home. Camp cooking is part of the enjoyment I have on these voyages. A little stove is part of that fun as long as I don't have to pack any flammables with me other than my snake bite kit.

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
I built a modified version of the original nomad using titanium sheet from Thruhiker - Though I can't view it even when it is listed as - 0.016 inch 6Al4V Titanium Sheet here -
http://www.thru-hiker.com/store.html

Because I like my food :lol: and where I was hiking was a large 'no fire' zone, I carried a small gas canister stove AND the nomad (85gm).

I modified the design so that it could be used to -

1 - burn wood chips and twigs or be used as a base potstand for coke can stove.

2 - be inverted to burn solid tablets and be a potstand

3 - remove the bottom and use it as a spare windshield for my gas stove

Pics here -

http://my.opera.com/Manjimike/albums/show.dml?id=403662

Click on pics for description

It works very well, tried it a couple of times on a 960km hike.
I've cooked damper on it using a Bakepacker - 20-25 mins burning chips, twigs and leaves - titanium really is the way to go :lol:
I used a Dremel to cut the slots, Wiss snips to cut to shape and a xmas tree drill bit for the large holes.

Cheers Mike

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
A dremel to cut Titanium what gauge? I like the idea of using what is locally found as cooking fuel such as pine cones, grasses or wood.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I'll have to look this up at my hardware supplier. I can't remember seeing titanium there although they will order anything I need. Tell me more about your 900k hike!

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
Oz, You will have a better chance of finding it in the US, that's why I had to import it :lol:
In 2004 I walked the Bibbulmun Track in West Australia. It goes from Albany to Perth (or vice versa :lol: ).
I took 26days (average 40km/day)
All up my gear weighed in at 17kg including 3kg water, 10 days food, Canon SLR camera and Epirb. At that stage I had a 1.1kg sleeping bag (+5*), now my home made 850+ down Topbag copy, silk liner, Bivy bag, pillow and stuff bag only weigh 1.2kg. :D

Cheers Mike

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
Hi Oz,
Have a read of this post I just put up on another site -
http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic. ... 4152#14152

That will tell you how I do my cooking.
When I wake inthe morning I just pack and go.
Part way thru the morning (7ish) I start eating a 125gm block of chocolate, then later for my lunch I start eating dried bananas, apricots,raisins , dates and a foil wrapped wedge of cheese. this the same everyday unless I am going thru a town when I will scoff a hamburger or fish and chips to gain some fat in my diet.
For my evening meal I mix all the ingredients into a freezer bag before I leave home.
menu includes -
Chili non carne -use TVP
Spaghetti Bolognese - again TVP
Tuna Curry (Use foil packs of tuna)
TVP curry
etc
Each one of these meals hadpowdered egg in it for additional protein.

Cheers Mike

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I'm a weekend canoe camper so weight is not my worries. I also carry food probably fit for kings, bacon eggs a bagel or two, ham slices and a little cheese. Now for the evening meal I my lay on some fish or pork or beef and a potatoe with a fruit as a side. Oh And a pint or six of lager.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Oh yeah,

I generally just ake a aluminium BBQ grille, set it on a couple of stones and cook everything I need on that.

lenthalls25-11-066Small.jpg

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
When I walked the Bibbulmun track, I spent the night at one of the shelters with four other walkers and they each had 4ltrs of chateau cardboard port. The only cup I had was my 500ml pot :D I slept well that night and they didn't stir when I left at 6am in the dark :lol: :lol: