Woodgate Beach again, | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Woodgate Beach again,

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G,day guys,

Thanks Tyer,

This boat really is as good as I say it is. It is a stroke of Genius on Matts part and it surprises me every time I get in her with just how good she is. It not only looks fast, It actually is fast. Effortless to paddle and maintain a very good cruising pace and glide, similar to a large sea kayak only with a lot more room, carrying capacity and comfort.

With the seat three and a half inches above the bottom, she is rock solid stable and lends her self very well to casting hardbody lures - all day.

I spent 5 hours continuously in her the other day in comfort and the only reason I needed to get out then was for bladder relief. (can I say that here?) :oops:

re difference between Southwind and Northwind. I haven't seen detailed drawings of Northwind so I can only speak in generalities. Southwind is a little longer, sleeker and skinnier than Northwind. Southwind also has less volume and lower sides and smaller load carrying capacity (I think). I also think Southwind might have finer entry at the stems. Matt would be the best one to ask about this.

Another very important difference (for me anyway) is that Southwind is constructed with fewer panels which meant less work for me.

As to which boat is better. I don't know. Verlin Kruger did some amazing things in his Sea Wind. Matts Northwind is based on this boat. How much can be credited to the boat he used, as opposed to the legendary man himself is open to conjecture. I suspect it was a combination of a superb boat being used by a remarkable man and athlete.

I like my Southwind better simply because of its lower volume with probably less wind signature and involves less work to build. Southwind will do everything I want her to - well. I built her mainly for extended solo paddling/camping/fishing trips in semi open water. She is so good, I reckon all of my other boats are about to be severely neglected.

Having said all that, I will probably wind up building a Northwind too just because I can, and I would really like one in my shed. :oops: I think the Northwind would work better , two up and would probably be an even better rough water option. I would be surprised if it is any faster or better to paddle though. Southwind is, by far, the best boat in my shed at the moment. I only wish somebody else would build one to corroborate what I am saying about it.

Bear, Mate, my slippers were in boot style and we call them Ugg Boots. they are very warm and comfortable. :D An Aussie design, brand name and concept., Has been for decades. An American company patented the name "Ugg Boot" after the fact and is now sueing our small Aussie company for innappropriate use of THEIR brand. There is an all in shit fight going on at the moment.

Re the stylish hats. I got one of them too. Souveneered it from a bloke I met once.

Jack,

Thanks mate, Swamp to Sea, describes it perfectly.

Cat,

Thanks mate. So do I. :D

Mate, I threw lots of little fellers like that one back. That one inhaled my lure and I had to kill it to get my lure back.

The bream averaged about 12 inches and about a pound and a half in weight. The small one would have been about a pound. They are very good to eat at this size. :D

IMG_1783Small.jpg

Re the electronics. it is a fishfinder. - invaluable for finding fish and structure on the bottom. An American brand that is in my mind the best on our market.

IMG_0579Small.jpg

I don't need a GPS in the waters I fish. Land marks are good enough.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks for the comparison on the two as you see it. In the future this is a boat I would be interested in very much. I have no stitch and glue experiance at all. I would have to check out the tutorial and ask a lot of questions. Do you think Matt would sell the plans to me as well?or is he going to offer it as a kit? Also the video is great! you get to see your paddling prowess and it looks like your very comfortable in that boat. Keep them coming!

Good day!

Chad

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Heya Mick nice looking mess of fish. Would be mighty fine in the frying pan, some gritzzzz & puppies to go with them maybe some cole slaw . :D Mick I believe I would have to borrow my plug back too.

Them thangs aint cheap no more . Used to get some for a dollar or two, now the same one will cost seven or eight . :( I guess you guys were living it up out there.

I see the brand name of your finder , I don,t have one but I hear they are good ones. I have really never used one, yea they will spot em but will they put him on your hook when they aint biting. If they will do that Mick I need two of them. :wink:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Mick
Noticed in the picture that you have an Ambassaduer reel. Have you ever tried a Curado reel. Bought me one out of my pawnshop and haven't touched my 5000c since. Wonderful machine. Curado and All Star Croaker rod- $60.00. Love a good deal.
Bob

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Bob,

Never tried a Curado.

The reel in the piccie is a Pflueger that I paid $170.00 for out here. I just bought two more of the same reel from Cabelas for US$39.00 each. These are brilliant little spinners. The one in the piccie is 18 months old, I have never serviced it and it still works as good as new. I use it in alt and fresh water all the time and it get wet every time I take it out. Even at the price I paid for this one, I think it has more thatn paid for itelf.

At the Cabelas prices, they would have to be the best bang for buck reel I have ever used.

I use Amassadeaur, Penn and Abu Garcia bait casters and overhead reels and they also are beautiful reels. I use them mainly in the fresh.

For the heavy salt water stuff, I use a 6 inch Alvey side cast reel coupled to an 81/2 foot rod I built on a Shakespear Uglistick blank.

For the really light stuff (1 and 2 kilo), I like the little Pfleuger reels and a Chinese made carbon rod that I have been getting on Ebay. - usually for less that $25.00 :D Similar to this one :D

http://shrinkster.com/q8r