Working out a Simple way of Hammock Camping. | SouthernPaddler.com

Working out a Simple way of Hammock Camping.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Using a Eagles Nest single hammock on the last trip I did run into a problem with there rain fly.

See. http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5820

It worked but I had to have it set so low to the hammock I hit it everytime I got in or out of the hammock.

Thinking about things and no one said you can't use everything out there for your comfort.... SO.

Here are my thoughts.

The ENO is open and easy to get into and out of , just sit up and swing your feet to the ground. Now to make the system better for camping I have the following thoughts. :oops:

1. Set the hammock up.
2.Attach the skeeter screening and adjust it to fit the ends of the hammock ( where I want the hammock every time) and run a ridge lie to make this set up simpler. Especially since the bug netting needs a line to support it. So make it a part of the hammock when setting it up. :D

3. Forgetting the rain fly's that ENO offer's , I plan on getting one from Tom at Hennessey Hammocks like I have for the Safari Deluxe I have used in the past and trust for protection. It is 144 inches by 132 inches and offers a lot of coverage and can be hung independently from the hammock..or as a part of it.

4. Skip the Slap Straps and only use them as tree huggers since they restrict the distance and angle you can set the hammock up with.

5. By pass everything they tell you and get the system set up using ropes to hang the hammock with , have the bug netting tied off to the hammock at the desired length with a center line to determine the way the hammock sets up everytime.

6. Use the slap strips as tree huggers and have a main line attached to the Beiners at the ends of the ENO Hammock to tie off to the slap straps , The distance of the rope would be a personal choice. No matter what the distance is between trees. Then spread out the rain fly and tie it off.

To pack everything up use the Snake Skins when trying to adjust the hammock , Yep easy to use but really restrictive on the way you want the hammock. Then put the netting and hammock in as a complete unit and wrap the rain fly up with it , or if it is possible include the rain fly in with the netting and hammock.

Just some things I am working on to figure out how to make this outfit even simpler to put up and take down while offering a lot of comfort ... Yep , I really like the comfort and simplicity of the ENO Hammock.

It will offer a good nights sleep , no bugs with the bug netting and a dry place with a decent rain fly... Then if it is really simple to set up and take down , all the better. :D

I will do more on this in the back yard. Then anyone who wants to ... Take the information and customize it to your use like we do with our boats.

Chuck.
It's all jdupre' fault by giving me good ideas with his home made hammock. http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5919

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
OK, Chuck, blame it on me, I can take it. :)

Is it the Guardian bug net you're talking about? I thought that would be the simplest way to bug proof my new hammock. It gives 360 degree coverage so you don't have to worry about skeeter bites from below. It looks like it has a side zipper which would make it easy to get into. Could also be taken off completely in the winter when you don't need it.

I'm getting psyched about using this hammock on the upcoming camping trip. It's getting down to 38 degrees tonight, so I'm going hang it again to make sure some of the bugs are worked out.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It's all Joey's fault..... :lol:
Set up the bug net today to see how it works.

It is a really fine mesh , I really don't think any bug would bet threw it to the person inside.
The (for better words ) door way has a double zipper one at the top and one at the bottom so there is a choice on which a person wants to use for entry or exit.

The ends where the supporting lines for the hammock fit threw have a draw cord on then so it can be closed down after the hammock is set up.
There are two lines , one at each end to tie off to the straps and if a person wants to there is an additional line ( furnished ) to tie off to the trees and then 5 plastic hooks along the top of the net to attach to that line for more support.

I tried some of the snake skins from Hennessey and they will not work on the ENO Hammock. They do enclose the hammock and the bug net till you get to the attached stuff sacks on the hammock and the netting that ENO has on there. Then it is a NO GO.

So I took the skins off and just packed things back up like they were meant to be. I might make some larger skins to use in the future.

I know one thing and that those skins would not work on the Hennessey hammock I have if they will not take a smaller hammock and bug netting like the ENO one. They had to come from a really skinny , starving , emancapated snake. :lol: :roll:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chuck,

thanks for your through walk-through on this. I ended up with two comments.

1. So far, I have not seen any snake skins that worked. In general, the openings are way, too small. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why tom insists that they be so small. they would work as advertised, and very easily, if the openings were just s wee bit larger. From the jaws of victory, he snatched defeat.

2. As I followed your description, it sounds a lot like a re-creation of a Hennessy. I recognise that there are differences I'm missing. I think it's one of those "you have to see it to understand it" kinds of things.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Chuck,

As I followed your description, it sounds a lot like a re-creation of a Hennessy. I recognise that there are differences I'm missing. I think it's one of those "you have to see it to understand it" kinds of things.

Not sure what ya be saying about it being like the Hennessey , it is a hammock and you do sleep in it when camping but that is about it. Sort of like comparing Apples to Oranges. :lol:

It is narrower then Tom's , the bug netting and rain fly are not attached but are separate items. It is a side enter one , not a self sealing end entrance or exit like tom's.
My best description of it is a back yard hammock that works really fine for camping depending on how you want it set up.

Chuck.
PS. Those snake skins are a real dissapointment , just a inch or two more material and they would be a great item.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldsparkey said:
Those snake skins are a real disappointment , just a inch or two more material and they would be a great item.

For the ones of us that are scared of a sewing machine............
Just made a run to the local store for a beverage and bumped into a Lady that does upholstering. I asked her about making some snake skins for me that would be over sized and actually fit my hammock.

No Problem , for her since she reupholsters anything and makes anything from cloth , cabanas , tarps , boat/car covers , if it can be sewed she can make it.

I am going to see her and get a set made , if anyone wants a set and is interested let me know. Not sure what the cost will be but that would be your cost , plus shipping since we are a non profit web site , except for my shop and it still is a not so great for profit shop. :lol:

The ones from Tom will not fit my ENO Hammock which packs up in the size of a large Grapefruit and the bug net ( same size as the hammock when packed up ) and sure will not fit the Safari Deluxe with the oversized hex fly. Tom does not make one for that combination. So when there is a problem , find a answer to it and I think I have.

I will keep you posted. :D

Chuck.
PS. These would be made to the diameter and length that you want. Mine will be from some rip stop nylon since it is light and dries in a flash when wet. :D

dawallace45

You mean the sankeskins I got aren't supposed to fit my safari ? that probably explains why I thought mine were a little tight , although I got mine on with out all that much trouble but I must admit it did take about 20 seconds more to put on than the ones on the scout hammock

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
My thought on that is, that Tom Hennessy usually thinks thing s through pretty thoroughly. Either someone else ran the snakeskin project, thereby explaining its failure, or Tom had something else in mind.

For the life of me, I can't think of anything else he had in mind; he plainly says they should encase the hammock & fly. Ergo, he assigned the project to a helper who, should be fried.

dawallace45

Like I said I got both my hammock and hex fly into the snake skins , wasn't really all that hard , just took a little more care and time , took less than 10 seconds to run the snake skins down the scout hammock but about 30 seconds to run them down the safari with hex fly , I then folded it up into a bundle about 16"-18" long , was too tight to bundle up any tighter

David

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
David...

My hat is off to you , you are accomplishing something that I can't. :D I guess it is a mental thing about trying to put two tons in a one ton truck or a size 36 into a pair of 30 jeans. Something is not fitting the way it should. :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Dave used to drive truck. He's used to overgrossing.

One load, he had 12 tons of pigeons in his 6 ton truck. Had to stop every few miles and beat on the side of the truck to keep six tons of'em in the air.