yard sale kayak | SouthernPaddler.com

yard sale kayak

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I picked up this Phoenix Poke Boat Appalachian today at a yard sale. 13' 9" x 24" beam..... 30 lbs.....very rounded bottom.

Seems to have been stored out of the sun and rain. It has some fairly deep scratches and a couple of small cracks above the waterline, but seems to be quite solid. The paddle is a Silver Creek Heavy Duty in decent shape....feathered 90 degrees. I thought it was a cheap paddle stuck under the deck until I paid the lady a ridiculously low price and picked the boat up to load it in my truck. It's laminated from several pieces of wood and covered with glass.

I ddn't find out much on the Net. This model has been discontinued, but a coparably sized current model is running around $2000. This must have been a hot set-up in , I'm guessing , the 80's.

I sent an email out to the company to find out more information. Has anyone had any experience with a kayak like this?

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joey, I don't have any direct experience with Poke Boats. They used to imagine themselves an avante guarde boat designer. Kind of a legend in their own mind. They had a short, aluminum kayak-looking thing that was advertised as being "Everything a canoe isn't!"
Yours looks like they entered into the touring kayak field; looks like it will perform well in the quiet waters there.
Go on line to "Canoe and Kayak Magazine", and look up their buyers' directory for information on the boat and paddle.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks, Jack. I'll do that.

I just got finished cleaning it up some and found out one annoying design flaw. There's almost no way to clean the inside and dump the water out. You turn it over any way and the lip on the cowling just lets the water go around the cockpit opening. From the looks of what was in there, EVERY piece of rock, shell, stick and sand that the boat ever encountered was still trapped inside. :roll: I managed to do a decent job with a rag on a stick

Waiting for the rain to stop to go for a test ride in the bayou.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Shop vac.....good tip.

Just got back from the test ride. Uhhhhh..........not all that great. Paddling up current (1/2 - 3/4 mph) the boat weaved back and forth with every stroke. If you didn't catch it in time, it would then become very hard to turn. Down current was much better. It tracked straighter and had very impressive speed. In both directions, when I stopped paddling it would pull immediately to one side or the other.

I measured the rocker when I got back, and like I thought, it had plenty .... over 3". The boat was probably designed for down river paddling with a heavier paddler and gear and with the capacity for a little rough water.

Stability was good and very predictable. The cockpit is the usual "put one leg in, then the other " type with good foot pegs and thigh supports in the right place. Very comfortable form fitting seat, too.

I'll probably spruce it up some and pass it on to the next owner.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I took the boat out for another spin in the bayou. More manageable tracking this time but still wanted to turn on a dime. Turning is what it wants to do and does it well. It will swap ends instantly when asked. Manuevers in tight quarters like a boat 4 feet shorter.

I get what you guys mean by the stability of a round bottom. Sitting two inches off of the bottom, it's pretty stable when level. It is more predictable as it leans over. Maybe not MORE stable, but more predictable. Leaning way over, the boat was really predictable until the water got up to the deck line. That's way more lean than you would get in normal paddling. An expert in white water may get there but not this Cajun!

Oh, found a few more cracks. Par for the course, eh. All of them will be easy to fix though.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Try temporarily affixing (duct tape, the handyman's secret weapon) a short skeg and see what you think? Even a short (3"-4"), flimsy, plastic skeg should help tracking immensely. Using a plastic divider from a 3 ring binder, or a flexible plastic cutting board, tape 2 or 3 layers together. Spread the top ends sideways and tape it onto your boat.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I really don't think I'll keep the boat. It's just not my style, so it'll get spruced up and hopefully sold.

Miss Tina at Phoenix Kayaks found out that the boat was built in 1979 and was "probably" made with kevlar. The company no longer makes this model but it sold for over a $1000 .......in 1979 dollars. I bought a brand new Chevy in '79 for $7800, so this was a expensive kayak in it's day.

I did a bit more research and found out it was indeed a whitewater boat. The big, broad bladed paddle supports that idea too.

I scuffed the whole boat down with a Scothbrite pad and will fix up several small cracks and dings with epoxy. I might put it on Craig's list or just set it out by Hwy 1.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
The kayak went to it's new owner this morning. I stopped at a buddy's house and mentioned the kayak I was fixing up. Before I knew it, he was following me home and putting a ridiculous amount of money in my hand. He actually gave me a little more than the asking price. He had a boat from the same company and had lost it in a divorce. He was overjoyed not to have to spend over $2000 to buy a new one. Win --- Win. Got enough to buy the materials for a top notch boat.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Well, Jack, he didn't get much back besides his boat. I always thought in a divorce things were split 50/50. It must be some kind of female math that she used, because her half was closer to 80%. :(

Joey

farhanamuneer

Sep 11, 2023
It seems like you might be interested in finding a kayak at a yard sale. Yard sales can indeed be great places to find second-hand items, including outdoor equipment like kayaks.
Remember that while yard sales can be a great way to find deals, it's essential to ensure the kayak for sale in uae is in good condition and suits your needs. Safety and functionality should be a priority when purchasing second-hand outdoor equipment.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It pays if you know the item you are after or the one that just appears when least expected. I have had some really nice treasures appear out of the blue at yard sales , especially after taking the time to talk with the folks. There are treasures to be located at yard sales but junk is also hidden there. Guess the main question on an item would be , Trash or Treasure ?????