1st Timer Build Log | Page 8 | SouthernPaddler.com

1st Timer Build Log

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
bearridge said:
... Aint nuthin' natural bout fiberglass 'er glue.
I'm guessing, then, that epoxy bush doesn't grow in your neck of the woods? Just ask Piper San; he descended to Louisiana from the Nawth Woods. Epoxy bush is rampant up here. Now fiber glass, that's another matter. Have to run evaporating ponds similar to salt pans to get that stuff. Milkweed scattered over water, and the kapok will dry into fiber glass.

islandpiper

Actually, the very best fiberglass is made from recycled Jack Daniels bottles. The off-grade fiberglass can be made from pickle jars and the like. I had heard that Royalex (tm) was made from old typewriters but I can't verify that.

Any boat can be a good boat if it is the one you have when you need one.

I have just been in a discussion with Jdupre' re: ageing of fir ply. In my experience, no matter what you paint it with, eventually the stresses of being peeled off a log, steamed, flattened and glued will come back to haunt the veneers and they will develop many millions of micro cracks. These are all capable of drinking a little water. After making eight boats with fir ply or luan I have come to believe that glass is good, epoxy makes it great, no paint lasts forever, once the cracks are in then NOTHING will flow into them and seal them up.

I love UJ pirogues. In a couple of years i may have to replace mine. I'll be watching Matt's designs and then i'll have to decide. For me, weight is not the final qualification, but car-topable is. I really like Keith and Seedtick's work, but I can't lift them onto the suburban. Of course, with Gub'ment Motors bent on downsizing everything it will be shorter lift onto the car tops in the future.

Back to work, piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
islandpiper said:
... In my experience, no matter what you paint it with, eventually the stresses of being peeled off a log, steamed, flattened and glued will come back to haunt the veneers and they will develop many millions of micro cracks. These are all capable of drinking a little water. After making eight boats with fir ply or luan I have come to believe that glass is good, epoxy makes it great, no paint lasts forever, once the cracks are in then NOTHING will flow into them and seal them up....
I guess it's like Popeye sez, "Ya pays yer kwarter - an ya takes yer chances!"

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
It's all about picking the compromise that works for you.

Some guys make beautiful feather light boats that can be handled with one hand, others make hundred pound works of art that need a trailer to get them to water. Many of us build something in-between.

I detest fiberglass and epoxy. I'd rather eat a bar of soap than fool with it. Much rather build a boat like Seedtick builds if I had my choice.

But I couldn't afford the wood, and I'd probably get a rupture getting it on and off my truck. So I use fiberglass and epoxy to help accomplish the reasonably light, reasonably affordable boat that I need.

George

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I put on the 2nd coat to the inside tonight. It looks like 1 more coat should do it. I used Interlux Brightside paint for the inside. This paint has terrible fumes, dries really fast, and doesn't spread very easily but it has to be the hardest, toughest, highest gloss paint I've ever used. I think it's actually more polyurethane (or something like that) than paint. Whatever it is it should make a fine, long lasting coating no matter much it sucks to apply.

060709_214800.jpg

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
a Bald Cypress said:
Man, y'all better get some dirt in that boat. Soon as the sun hits that white y'alls gonna be blinded. 8)

:D It's not as bad as it looks in the picture. It's an off white, not white. Don't get me wrong, it's bright, but it will be dirty soon enough.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
Yea, I would have gotten another color but this was 60% off at a going out of business sale at my local Boater's World. The off white was the only one they had left. 99% of the time I start fishing around 7pm so it shouldn't be a problem at all. If it is, I'll paint it.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Blue Grass Lover, I'd think that if you ever do repaint, keeping the sides white may be an advantage. While a less reflective floor may also be an advantage. But, if you fish under low light conditions, you may have started what will become a new painting theme. No angle worm will be able to hide from you; a dropped hook will be easy to see; and your can of beer won't be able to hide from you.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I'M DONE!!!!! Well, I have to finish the seats but the boat is done! I'll take a picture with a real camera tomorrow since all of the ones I've posted have been from my cell phone. As you can see, it doesn't handle the white interior very well. I want to thank everyone for all of the help I've received on this forum. Your experience and advice have been invaluable!

The pictures look extra crappy but here they are...

060809_215600.jpg

060809_215601.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A real camera makes it look like a real boat. :lol:

Thinking about the paint you used on the inside , the Interlx Brightsides Paint , if it is the same as what I used on the bottom of a couple of my boats it has Teflon in it and is quite slippery. Better be careful when getting in and out of the boat.

Chuck.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
oldsparkey said:
A real camera makes it look like a real boat. :lol:

Thinking about the paint you used on the inside , the Interlx Brightsides Paint , if it is the same as what I used on the bottom of a couple of my boats it has Teflon in it and is quite slippery. Better be careful when getting in and out of the boat.

Chuck.

Yes, it's the same. I was already thinking about painting some grip on the bottom. First, I want to see how slippery it is when wet.