1st Timer Build Log | Page 6 | SouthernPaddler.com

1st Timer Build Log

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I did all my pirogues that way , lay the glass in the boat , do a trim on it and wet it in. Then what is up against the ribs ... I trim it after it sets for about an hour , sometimes less where the fillet is if that is already done. If not then I do the fillet over that trimmed section to make everything nice and smooth.
My preferred method in to fillet the ribs after the glass in down but the rest of the boat has the fillets done so the glass has a rounded surface to lay on. The glass is done in three sections or units and each section is the bottom and sides together as one unit.

Chuck.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
oldsparkey said:
My preferred method in to fillet the ribs after the glass in down but the rest of the boat has the fillets done so the glass has a rounded surface to lay on. The glass is done in three sections or units and each section is the bottom and sides together as one unit.

Chuck.
That's what I was going to do too! :eek:

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I did a small section of fillets tonight. It was much easier to spread smooth than I thought it would be. But, my mix turned out to be a little on the thin side. I only did a part of the bottom and even that sagged. It would have never stayed on the sides.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
bluegrasslover said:
I did a small section of fillets tonight. It was much easier to spread smooth than I thought it would be. But, my mix turned out to be a little on the thin side. I only did a part of the bottom and even that sagged. It would have never stayed on the sides.
What filler are you using? I am using the West System epoxies and used the coloidal silica (#406, I think). Took a little while to get it mixed up, but it thickened up good. I threw in some wood flour and it really thickened up.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I finally finished the fillets and have gotten most of the power sanding done on them. I found that the best way to get the right thickness is the same as when making whipped cream....thicken until it holds soft peaks. That seemed to be perfect for me. Thin enough to spread nice and smooth but thick enough to stay put.

051309_205301.jpg

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
Ah...sorry, I don't have any pictures of the process. I just took someones advice and used plastic spoons to get the smooth radius. The one in the picture is definitely one of my better ones. They don't all look that good. The first batch I did turned out terrible...way to thin and just made a mess. Getting the right thickness is definitely the key....too thick and it doesn't spread smooth, too thin and it won't hold the radius.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I finished sanding the fillets tonight. The little sanding attachment for the Dremel really helped out in the corners. A little more cleanup sanding tomorrow night and I'll be ready to glass the inside.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
That is really nice work, man. If this is your first time, you rock.

I did two boats stitch and glue and my fillet work was shameful. Lack of patience was part of my problem.

Your boat is looking great.

GBinGA

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
gbinga said:
That is really nice work, man. If this is your first time, you rock.

I did two boats stitch and glue and my fillet work was shameful. Lack of patience was part of my problem.

Your boat is looking great.

GBinGA

Yup, this is my first boat. I'll have to take a picture of the first section of fillets I did, they were terrible. I sanded them enough so that they look ok now but yikes.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
The local Boater's World is going out of business and has everything (what's left) 60% off. I was able to get Interlux Goldspar varnish and Interlux Brightside paint at a descent price. Does anyone have experience with either of these products?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bluegrasslover said:
The local Boater's World is going out of business and has everything (what's left) 60% off. I was able to get Interlux Goldspar varnish and Interlux Brightside paint at a descent price. Does anyone have experience with either of these products?

If the Interlux Brightside paint is the one with the Teflon in it ... I use it on the bottom of some of my boats in place of the graphite and epoxy mix. The last boat was the Sasquatch 14 X 30 that I made. The primer and then the paint normally runs about $70.00 for both. I get the Cape Hatteras White.

14x30%20056.jpg

Chuck.

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
Alright, Chuck. Don't get mad but I think I'm going to steel your paint scheme. :twisted: The white with the stripe (is that dark green?) looks awesome. I'm going to paint the inside and do the outside like you have it. I got the off white. They didn't have white.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bluegrasslover said:
Alright, Chuck. Don't get mad but I think I'm going to steel your paint scheme. :twisted: The white with the stripe (is that dark green?) looks awesome. I'm going to paint the inside and do the outside like you have it. I got the off white. They didn't have white.

I cheat on that fine green line ...... Go to the hardware store and locate the colored electrical tape and you will have the same as on the canoe. :lol:
By the way those fillets look really good , let me know when you plan on being in Florida and I will ask you to do mine for me. No boats in the process right now but that can be changed for your visit. :D

Chuck.