A Comfortable Pirogue (Boat) seat ..ya can make | Page 7 | SouthernPaddler.com

A Comfortable Pirogue (Boat) seat ..ya can make

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
I'm not familiar with the process how do you bow the slats (I mean on purpose I have had all kinds of wood bow on accident)

Great job btw.

Thanks

Richard

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
GoodOlBoy, there are several was to bend wood (bow on purpose :)) . Steaming it and then clamping around a jig is probably the most used, and may give the best results. I have not tried my hand at that, yet. I have made seat slats by soaking the wood in water over night and then clamping the wood on to a jig or form until it dries. Probably only works well with thin strips.
For the pirogue seat I used two 1/4" strips laminated together with glue and clamped onto a form to dry. Making the form the correct size was the hardest part. The slats spring back some after they dry and are released from the jig. It took me three tries for the seat slats, but only two to get the ones for the back like I wanted them.
A caution; The glue must be completly cured befor unclamping. I waited overnight.
Clear wood, and clamping slowly works best. You may have to let the wood relax befor clamping completely.
I used bargin bin wood and scraps, but "good" wood book marked can produce very pleasing results.
If you have thick enough stock and don't mind some waste, the curves could be cut on the band saw.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Has anyone built a UJ or similar type pirogue seat with a caned seat or back? Pictures please?

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That is just one of several boats that beekeeper has built , A better look....... :D

KirstinGraduationStipPirogueandSeat041.jpg

here is the build .... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8378

Besides the build beekeeper did you should look at some of the others , there are a lot of good looking boats on here the guy's have made. You can do the same , all you need to do is to put the wood together so it forms a boat. :D

Chuck.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
FFTWarren said:
Did you build that boat? that thing is beautiful if I say so myself

Thanks for the compliment. What kind of boats do you like? There are many different styles of boats, and builders on this site.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I should have mentoned the curved back slats will not allow you to sit on the chair with the back folded down. I never did that with my straight back chairs, so it is not a loss for me.

KirstinGraduationStipPirogueandSeat060.jpg

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
beekeeper said:
Has anyone built a UJ or similar type pirogue seat with a caned seat or back? Pictures please?

beekeeper

No weavers? Any other variations? Pictures please.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
beekeeper said:
beekeeper said:

beekeeper

No weavers? Any other variations? Pictures please.

beekeeper

Last try for pictures, and your ideas. I guess everybody is sitting on the floor, or useing store bought things.

beekeeper

swampfox

Mar 17, 2011
Beekeeper

As with everyone I've been looking at that strip pirogue too long. I've always wanted to make one but never could find a pattern that I liked. Mainly because they all had hard chines or looked to much like a canoe.
After just looking at that pirogue 1000 times the 1001 time I finaly looked in the back ground. That wouldn't happen to be the strongback for the strip pirogue?
I would just short of kill to get a copy of the stations.
I work out of town but I think my home is around you.
If you want you can PM me, maybe we can work something out. If you don't want that's fine I wont bash you on here or anything..LOL..I just had to ask.

Thanks

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks swampfox. I'm glad you like my boat. I am pleased with the soft chines and the flared sides. The rounded stems do give it a canoe look, but lots of the older pirogues had them. The sides and floor are straight and flat.
Check your PM.
beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Asking again, has anyone built a UJ or similar type pirogue seat with a caned seat or back? Pictures please?
I think my pirogue seat could be modified to use woven cane or straps instead of wooden slats.
IMG_3766.JPG