Another homemade hammock-- take 2 | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Another homemade hammock-- take 2

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Hung the hammock this evening. Put in my widened blue pad and my sleeping bag so I could test everything. I had loosened up on the ridge line to make the hammock lie flatter and that worked great.

Had a 10x10 cheap tarp laying around , so I rigged that up over the hammock. I got in to do some serious "testing". It took me quite a while to make sure everything was OK. YAAWWWN. :wink: :)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
The (almost) finished product. Good projects are never finished, right?

100_0508.jpg

Going out for a little more R & D.

Had the tarp, strapping, ropes and tent pegs laying around already. Project cost to this point --- $17.29. A good bug net and a new rain fly and I'll be ready for anything.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not sure about the way you like it but for me I like the tarp up higher ( at lease move around under it). When it is close to the hammock , your body weight will take the hammock down a bit but the moisture from your breath will cause moisture to collect on the underside of the tarp. Especially when really relaxed and snoring like a chain saw cutting down a red wood. Or as a buddy of mine likes to describe my snoring ... A air boat chasing a heard of wild hogs. :lol:

That happen to me on the last trip , the underside was wetter then the top side since I had it set close to the hammock for rain protection.

Easy way to beat that problem , have the tarp so it overlaps each end of the hammock by a few feet. Right now I'm checking on the 12 x 12 rain covers to use. That would give me a lot of coverage both ways.

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Chuck, thanks for the suggestions. I'm a rank amateur with hammocks and have a lot of details to iron out. I was thinking about a 12' x 12' or 14' fly. The material for the hammock started out 10.5' long. It shortens up some with the sag, so a 10' fly is a mite stingy.

What do you hammock guys do with all your clothes and such? I've seen some guys use a small hammock hung under the main hammock or somewhere else under the fly.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joey, I suggest re-rigging the rain fly, but don't know if this conflicts with, or reinforces what Chuck suggested.

First off, where you have the rain fly rigged on a line to the trees, I would lower that and fix it directly to the guy line of the hammock. Use a piece of line, tied in a 6" diameter circle, looped within itself around the guy line. As you have it rigged, it WILL let in blowing rain, I gaw-raun-tee. The fly needs to cover those ends of the hammock more than you would think necessary.

Secondly, I'd raise one side out flatter, as Chuck suggests. I like a "covered patio" on one side of the hammock. A prop, such as a paddle, often is needed here.

My gear is stored in dry bags underneath the hammock, up near the head end.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, it's going to be a trade off between rain protection and being able to get in and out without rubbing against the underside of the tarp and getting wet from the condensation. Probably get a 12'x 14' tarp.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
One thing about a hammock. If you do get wet it is not as bad as in a tent when it floods ( rain leaking in or condisation from your breath on the underside from the confined space ) and the hammock dries a darn site faster then a tent does when it is set back up.

Lets see........

1. The hammock offers better sleeping.
2. Goes up faster then a tent.
3. No roots poking you in the back or side when sleeping.
4. A smaller item to carry or pack.
5. Dries quicker if it gets wet.
6. The rain fly over the hammock offers more protection , sitting , cooking and room.
7. No ground cloth is needed.
8. forget the pillow the shape of the hammock offers that when it is set up.
9. Better visibility while relaxing.
10. Tons of ventilation during the night , not a sweat box like a tent is.

Jeez there are a lot more reasons , like you do not need level ground , can be hung anywhere , no need to crawl out in the morning on your knees and then stand up ( swing your feet down and stand up ) , makes a good chair if you forgot the camping chair......but I will stop there. :lol:

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Probably could jury rig a mast and use the hammock as a sail. Probably wouldn't work on the Brazos-- the wind changes so much, you would sail 5 minutes in one direction- 5 minutes in another direction..... Right Ron? :lol: :lol:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Thats right JD you would get plum dizzy
I just cant figure out how I am going to get all these trees planted so I can hang a hammock down here.
Ron
I would have to carry a metal frame like they use on them backyard ones

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Holy S&%$ ! $190.00 for a 10x14 rain fly! Thanks for the info, Jack, but that's out of my price range. Good quality, I'm sure, but I just can't justify that kind of expense. Tx river rat and I could build another boat for that. :wink: I'll look for something between both extremes.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
10'X12' $110, 10'X14' $120. I figure it this way. I can kick myself in the rump once when I spend a lot to buy it. And, then pat myself on the back every time I use it the next 10-15 years.

Or, pat myself on the back once when I buy something cheaper, and kick myself in the rear every time I have to use it.

It's a personal choice.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
10'X12' $110, 10'X14' $120. I figure it this way. I can kick myself in the rump once when I spend a lot to buy it. And, then pat myself on the back every time I use it the next 10-15 years.

Or, pat myself on the back once when I buy something cheaper, and kick myself in the rear every time I have to use it.

It's a personal choice.

Personal choice, I agree with. For the 3 or 4 trips a year I make, I'm sure a poly tarp will last a couple of years. Twice the price of a poly tarp I can see, three times the price maybe, 4 times the price -- getting a little pricey, TWELVE times the price-- no way. This tarp would have to paddle half the day and make coffee when I arrive. :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Heck , where you live , this year you might get a storm in and if you do , Hit FEMA up for a couple of tarps for nothing. I still have a couple here that the roof did not need , one covered the damage.

That one year when we had three storms back to back they were handing out ones that would cover a complete three bedroom home. That sucker required six men and two mules to set it up. :lol:

Yep , the neighbor got one to cover her place. :shock:

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Way ahead of you on that one, Chuck. My mother's house needed two FEMA tarps to cover up the hole in her roof.. We picked up an extra one just in case. They are 20'x25' which is overkill. Might cut it in half and double up each half to use as a fly. Another fringe benefit from FEMA tarps-- they each come with 2- 100' lengths of 3/16" nylon rope. Very handy around the camp or on the water.

100_0510.jpg

I can attest to the fact that a 20x25 tarp is a HANDFULL to put up while the winds are winding down in the aftermath of a hurricane. :shock:

Johnny Swank

Mar 6, 2006
www.sourcetosea.net
I usually tie my tarp directly to trees, as It gives me a place to pack up when it's raining.

Here's a typical setup with all my crap strewn about :lol: Took this when I went down the Cape Fear River a few years ago.

2454986639_2a0e8d0363.jpg