Another homemade hammock-- take 2 | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Another homemade hammock-- take 2

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Nice set-up, Johnny. I see you have a warm looking underquilt. How does it perform? Do you have to use a foam pad inside the hammock also?

Joey

Johnny Swank

Mar 6, 2006
www.sourcetosea.net
Honestly, I've never really gotten the hang of using the underquilt, so I use a pad(s) most of the time. That one's a little thin for the temps I was using it in, but works great as a sleeping quilt. It was a realy quick/dirty thing I threw together at the last minute, but works fine down to about 45-50 degrees or so. I need to open up a seam and add some more down to take it much lower.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
In my never-ending search for scrounged materials, I now have a bug net for the hammock. I knew my sister does a little sewing and asked if she had some kind of netting left over from a project. She didn't but asked if I could use a mosquito bar -- the old-fashioned kind you hang from the ceiling over your bed. Yes, please, I can use that. :)

One of her garage sale loving friends had bought it for like $1.00 and gave it to her. She didn't really have a use for it so she gave it to me.

I cut a piece of the netting about 11' x 7" and just draped it over the ridge line with the 7' dimension going up and over the ridge.. I gathered up the loose ends and tied them to the hammock support straps and I was done.

Finished just about sundown and got in to test it out. The netting is flexible enough to hang down and conform to the shape of the hammock. Stayed in it for 30-40 minutes from sundown til dark and had skeeters trying there damnedest to get in. Not a one got past the netting.

Total cost of project:

3.5 yards ripstop nylon -- $17.29
30' x 1" poly webbing-- $0.00 ( had on hand)
bug net -- $0.00 ( enough left for a spare)
rain fly tarp and rope -- $0.00 ( courtesy of FEMA- enough left for a spare)

Total -----$17.29 :D

Joey

Johnny Swank

Mar 6, 2006
www.sourcetosea.net
Permerine and mosquito bar

Mosquito netting is fine for mosquitoes and larger critters. Not sure how bad noseeums are down your way, but spraying the mosquito bar with permetherine will help with the really tiny critters.

I'm using mosquito netting instead of noseeum netting for our homemade gear with good results. It's a little cheaper, but more importantly, lets more airflow in with the larger holes. I'm probably going to pay for it sometime, but I can live with that for the 98% of the time it works fine.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
We don't have noseeums here- they are mostly confined to the marshes, which are about 40-50 miles from here. The ones in the marsh are horrible. They get into your hair and latch on to your scalp with what seem like 6" canines. The bite burns for hours. Gladly put up with mosquitos.

What is your arrangement for your mosquito netting?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Went to my second favorite store (after WalMart) Harbor Freight and bought a 10'x12' silver tarp. It seems about twice as thick as the standard blue tarp and has a UV protective coating. Seems to be sewn with a little more care than the blue jobs. It ought to last for quite a few years. I'm leaving in the morning for an overnight shake-down trip for the hammock and the tarp arrangement. Forecast calls for low 50's temps at night with mid 70's during the day with clear skies. Perfect.

Kind of kidding with the Harbor Freight remark. . You CAN find some decent stuff there, you just have to check it for the amount of quality you need. I bought one of those twist lock rods for securing cargo in the back of a pick-up. I have been using it to attach my pirogue carrying rack and it has held up well. Definitely got my $7.00 worth out of it. :D

Total cost for the hammock project-- $30.28.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Harbor Freight isn't a bad place. There is a lot of flat-out junk in there but there is also a lot of useful stuff at good prices.

My favorite is the canvas riggers bag that I use to carry tools. $10, perfect shape and size. I've gone through a few of them and they hold up better than the price tag would make you think.

g

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
gbinga, I've had one of those canvas tool bags for years and it is still in good shape. There's a lot of stuff there that works for the occasional use by the average homeowner.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Update on the new set-up:

After one shake-down camping trip and 4 nights (2 of which were in the low 40's) I have found that the hammock works great. It takes a little fiddling to get in and settled with the pad and sleeping bag, but I had some very relaxing nights. The seperate mosquito netting kept all mosquitoes out and I like the feature that I can just untie it from one end and roll it out of the way. I fashioned some tree huggers from some of my 1" webbing and they worked perfectly.

Found a handy way to keep the sleeping bag from moving around when I enter. I just get it and the pad in the right position and tuck about 10" of the hood under the end of the pad. Get in, get in position, zip up the bag and reach back over your head and pull out the bag hood.

Need to work on keeping my feet warmer in low 40's temps. Cold feet has always been my problem in cold weather.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Whilst on the Great Pirogue Expedition into some cypress swamps of Louisiana or Georgia or some third world state, I saw Joey's 2nd generation homemade hammock. The guy has an engineering bent to him. He does good work, and enjoys tinkering with design and re-design. Joey has an active imagination and an ability to make real, what the imagination generates.

His cold feet could maybe be helped with the polypropylene socks that keep moisture (sweat) away from our skin. When offered, however, Joey proved to be almost as hard headed as some of the Krauts in my family tree. He'll find a solution one day and sleep warm footed forever after.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, I just don't think those thin socks would have made that much of a difference. The ones I had on were 50% merino wool and polyester(maybe not technically as good as polypropelene) , very comfortable when moving around a bit. I have trouble with poor circulation in my legs and feet and have always had trouble keeping them warm when inactive( sleeping, sitting on a deer stand,etc. ). I'm going to get a few of those chemical heat packs for my next cold weather endeovor.

Many thanks for the offer of the poly socks.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
Mebbe the best idea is for you to pack along Joy, and just warm your cold feet in the middle of her back?

Great idea. Then, she could cook for me, clean my fish , gather firewood and tote water. :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
How bout a neophrene sock? I bought two pair at the Sam Walton Chinamen store....never been cold enuff ta wear 'em yet. Plain ole wool haz been enuff fer me so far. Also, Miz Bear 'n Ronnie both buy them little hot chemical packs when the Sam Walton store puts the red tag on 'em. I reckon we must have 50 'er so. Never used one of 'em yet, but there haz been a few times I wish I had one handy.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
Hush up, Br'r Bear! I liked the idea of Joy doing camp chores for"US" . Way better than neoprene socks.

Man! You're so bad, you'd screw up a wet dream.

What is this "US" stuff? Git your own gal! :roll: :lol:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
bearridge said:
How bout a neophrene sock? I bought two pair at the Sam Walton Chinamen store....never been cold enuff ta wear 'em yet. Plain ole wool haz been enuff fer me so far. Also, Miz Bear 'n Ronnie both buy them little hot chemical packs when the Sam Walton store puts the red tag on 'em. I reckon we must have 50 'er so. Never used one of 'em yet, but there haz been a few times I wish I had one handy.

Bear, I don't think it's a problem of losing heat as much as a problem of generating enough heat in that area. Less circulation= less blood = less heat. I'll definitely get a few of those chemical packs. Sounds like that might be the ticket.

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Joey
A few years back I had a center rod blow out of a hydrolic cylinder, it blew my thumb of ,they reatached it and I had steel pins sticking out the end into open air and the other ends drove into the rest of my hand. It was winter time and I can tell you about bone chilling cold :D
I learned a lot in that time about keeping the extremitys warm, anything that is tight on your hands are feet is not going to help inside a sleeping bag,it will actualy hurt you
Keeping your chest warm is number one,the second is most of the heat you generate is lost thru the top of your head ,the old timer that wore a stocking hat knew what they were doing ,you might try a knit tobagin .The heat pack I break out about thirty minutes before bed time throw them into the bottom of the sleeping bag zip it up,warms the bag and they feel good on the cold feet ,I think it raises the rating of a bag 20 degrees.
My friends that live in Alaska tell me the warmest way to sleep is nude and rub down with baby oil, now I dont need are want to hear about you doing that ,but you might rub oil on your feet right before you crawl in a bag might help.
Ron