Bald Cypress Fleet | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Bald Cypress Fleet

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick,

You're going to love the Puddle Duck. Dapper Al builds'em by the dozen. You might want to contact him and get his pointers. He uses it for tripping, fishing, everything. I don't know if the plans call for it or not, but he has a keel in the center. Ask him.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Hey Baldy That is one sweet looking stripper I can only aspire to build one as nice as yours someday. Or for that matter your whole fleet. Be proud you deserve it!

I have been accused of a clean shop, but my piro has a few of what I call character flaws or personallity. Most of which I know and most people will never notice accept for my very astute fellow padlers/builders here. I am starting to like some of the little dings and things. I always stop and look at a well used wooden boat that is hung up for display or dry docked and admire all the memories that go with all that personallity.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
bcf

ALL of my boats are 10 ft-ers.

They sho do look nice from that distance. Get a bit closer and the errors start to show up.

BUT, they are mine. People that don't like em, don't have to. I do.

Strange thing. The last pic, looking at the boat from the right side, you can see a double strip of near white. I thought it would look good as a decorative type thing. There is also the same near white used just before the chine on the bottom.

Both sides of the boat were made with the same wood however, the strips on the left don't stand out near as well.

I hope it is just a trick of the lighting.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
BCF

Well progress as been s l o w but progress there is.

I now have inner gunnels and one outer setting up as I type.

e7898ec1.jpg

The seat frame is also setting up.

e7898e94.jpg

Perhaps one day, it will get done.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
BUT, they are mine. People that don't like em, don't have to. I do.

:D :D :D

Baldy mate, You are a man after my own evil little heart. :D I love the way you think.

That is it in a nutshell, They are your boats, built by you for you and from where I sit, they are darn fine looking boats at that.

All of my boats have errors and plenty of them - but they are mine as are the mistakes and they are what make each boat unique and special to me. :D

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
bcf

A quick update.

Today, I sanded the hull to get rid of as many epoxy runs as I could, without eating into the glass "to much".

Seamed to go OK so will start to put the varnish on tomorow. At that time, I will start to weave the seat.

Speaking of which, I put the boat in the bayou and sat on my sander box to see just where I wanted the seat to go. Amazingly enough, it seams that the pros know what thay are talking about since to me, 8.5 " aft of center was about the spot I finally decided on.

Could have saved a lot of trouble by just using the 8 " aft of center recomended.

Pics in a couple of days.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
BCF

Well, just about finished. Put the seat in and droped the boat in the bayou. Got in and sat down and the darn seat broke. But, I did manage to get a couple of pics.

See if photobucket works.

newboat-07.jpg

newboat-03.jpg

canoe-06.jpg

newboat-04.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Baldy,

Mitey fine lookin' boat, but it looks like ya got my problem with high rocker....how ta load it on the rack without scrapin' the paint on yer cab. Mebbe it aint no problem fer you....mebbe it iz a optikle illusion....like that time we figgered Ole Sparkey wuz Junior Samples? :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :roll: :lol:

regards
bearridge

The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts.  Bertrand Russell

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yeah, Jack. Got a little carried away on that one. I simply must get out more. LOL

But, Jennifer Lopez in a bikini , paddling that canoe would surely be the ULTIMATE fantasy.......................... Calm down, Joey!