Bedliner material? | SouthernPaddler.com

Bedliner material?

T-Dog

Nov 3, 2005
El Dorado, Arkansas
I still have to paint my pirogue to protect the fiberglass. Has anyone ever tried using the spray on/roll on bedliner material before? Was wondering if it would have problems adhering to the glass. If it were possible, I would coat the outside with the bedliner material and then paint the inside to save money.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm thinking that it would not only add weight, but D-R-A-G-G-G too. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, at first blanch.

My boats have natural finish with Z-Spar Flagship varnish to protect them A wooden boat deserves the chance to show itself off, ehh? Paint on a wooden boat is about like a burlap bag on a beautiful woman. I guess you could do it - but why?

T-Dog

Nov 3, 2005
El Dorado, Arkansas
Well thanks for the tips. I was more concerned with durability than weight. I do agree the natural wood lokos the best was considering something that might add a little toughness for running up on cypress knees.
Back in January I was fishing a rapala minnow on ultra light equipment and caught a bass near 18 inches. Was biggest bass I have caught in years. A bass that size can easily tow a pirogue anywhere it wants to.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you want to add protection to the bottom of the pirogue so when those huge fish drag you into the boonies then add several layers of graphite and epoxy to the bottom .... It sure helps to save the bottom of a boat and it is some slippery stuff.
Or catch smaller fish like I do............. Really it was this (--Out stretched hands--) Big. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
No.

Keep guessing on some more sources. Home Depot here doesn't even handle varnish any more. I posted some sources for Z-Spar Flagship varnish a few days ago.

"Wooden boats use epoxy.
Ultraviolet (UV) rays A & B damage epoxy.
Some finishes offer UV protection; others do not.
Some finishes do a (LOT) better job than others, of protecting epoxy from UV damage.
The best UV protection is offered by Z-Spar Flagship varnish.

Z-Spar Flagship varnish is available from several sources. A quick search disclosed two sources that satisfied me; you may want to find sources better for you.

Buy over the internet at http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/fi ... h,Flagship

Buy at a store at West Marine"

This is my choice; others have their first choice.

JEM

For boats meant for heavy abuse, I've had good luck with 2 types of paint you can buy at just about any home improvement store.

1) Porch paint. More durable than regular exterior paint. Pretty cheap at around $20 a gallon. Easy to use and touch up. Tintable.

2) EpoxyShield by Rustoleum. http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?fr ... L=1&dds=26

Be sure to get the multi purpose coating as it has better UV blocking.

But if you're going for varnish or clear coat, then chances are you'll have to order over the net.

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
Varnish: From what I have seen, if you are going to use varnish, then the Captain's Z-Spar that Kayak Jack suggested is far superior to anything you can buy at a home improvement store or Walmart.

Paint: The Krylon exterior latex that you can get in quart cans at Walmart is actually pretty good. I have used it and I know several people that have used it on boats with good luck. Cheap and easy to use but the white doesn't seem to cover well. Worked as good as some marine paint that I paid $20 per quart for once upon a time. I think the porch and deck paint suggestion is a good one. Lots of people have used that type of paint with good reports of durability. The epoxy paints will chalk with sunlight exposure, however. I didn't realize that there is some "multi-purpose" epoxy paints with UV protection. That sounds good.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
Never be afraid to complain about an bad product!

I'm bringing this back to the top since I too wonder about the truckbed liner material. As the original poster noted there are duty requirements where the toughness of the coating could well be a great advantage. So does anyone have any actual experience with it in nautical applications or have all the answers to date been merely opinionating????????

aub77 said:
Paint: The Krylon exterior latex that you can get in quart cans at Walmart is actually pretty good.

I hope that my experience with the Krylon was an anamoly. I suspect that it was a batch that eluded the QC inspectors because the quart I tried was the worst exterior latex I've ever tried to use, bar none! It had poor coverage, refused to dry and clogged sandpaper as fast as I could change it on the palm sander when trying to remove it. One serendipitous result of the experience: I wrote Krylon to let them know that the paint I bought was garbage and that I was very disappointed as I have been using and recommending Krylon products for more years than I care to admit. I recieved a very nice reply from one of their customer service reps who apologized that I had a bad experience with a Krylon product and requesting further infirmation so he could pass it on to engineering. I complied as well as I could and got a reply thanking me and asking if he could send me a Krylon product to lessen my 'pain'. I replied telling him that the project I was working on was replacing the wooden parts of a transom on an aluminum boat and if he had a clearcoat that was fuelproof that I could use it. And promptly forgot about it.
I just got a delivery by FedEx early this morning with a spraycan of 'Dupli-Color' (the rep said it would have to come from a different division under the Krylon umbrella so it would take 10 days to 2 weeks) clear gloss
"Premium Automotive Formulation", product 'DA1692 Crystal Clear'. Said to wothstand "fading, chipping, stains and weather and corrosion" it is recommended to be applied as a final clear coat over Dupli-Color Acrylic Enamel.
Dunno what application this might have for boatbuilders but perhaps it has some property that someone has been seeking. I haven't tried it yet because I have already finished the project I was working on at the time, but it looks like the sort of thing I like to have on hand.
Another point that we might take from this experience is that manufacturers are grateful to get feedback on their products. Never be afraid to complain! Not only does it result in better products for all of us, but the manufacturers often display their gratitude by sending products to you to try as I have discovered just this past year. My first experience involved the packaging on a Ray-O-Vac product. The manufacturing process had left a razor-sharp bit of flashing on the clear plastic packaging that gave me a small puncture wound when opening it. Having been a satisfied Ray-o-Vac customer of many years standing I thought it would be 'neighborly' to drop them a line relating my experience before someone who had an incestuous relationship with a liability attorney punctured their finger too and made a big deal about it. So I wrote them a very nice post letting them know my experience, that I was NOT irked with them in any way, that my little puncture was of no consequence and that I was merely trying to be a 'good neighbor' who has appreciated their fine products for many decades. I recieved an almost instant response from Customer service thanking me profusely and telling me if I had any medical expenses associated with the problem to let them know ASAP. I responded re-iterating that there was NO medical problem, that I was NOT unhappy with them in any fashion and that my first post simply telling them there was a possible legal issue that should be addressed was my sole intent.
They responded by assuring me that if I suffered any recurring medical problems (it was little more than a scratch furchissake!) that they stood ready to assume all medical expense and that they would like to send me some new products to try out. A few weeks later UPS delivered a small package containing a reading lite to clip onto a book (I've already figured out that it's perfect for tieing on flies after dark:lol:) and a lite to clip onto your hat or pocket for camp or trails after dark. They are both very neat products for an outdoorsman and the latter in particular I would have cheerfully rubbed out someone's Mother-in-law to own earlier in life when I camped more. :twisted:
So----gripe! It is a Godsend to manufacturers who would far rather hear about a problem from a disgruntled user than his attorney. It does both you and the manufacturer a service. You get it off your chest and feel better while the maker gets the critical feedback so much required to create and market a better product. Just be reasonable about your complaints----don't just tell them that the product is a POS. Be specifis (and polite!) about why the product was defective or failed to meet your needs. And it ultimately results in better products for the future user. That the manufacturer feels obligated to send you something to relieve your pain is just a bonus. Looks like a win/win deal to me!

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
Kayak Jack said:
I'm very willing to let someone else experiment with it on their boat. Please keep it far away from mine.

Well He!! Jack! Matt and I were sorta depending on you to volunteer to be the test subject since you're always dragging your a er, boat around the Canadian Shield country where the bedliner might stand out as a protectant of thin hulls.
Another consideration is the sound deadening properties it would have. Stealth is an advantage in fishing not to mention concealing the source of the gas coming from your vicinity. (I believe you've already been warned about the sauerkraut by your paddling companions.) :wink:

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
Chuck of Duckwork's Magazine fame is the one that turned me on to using Krylon. The dark green was great and the white was pretty bad in terms of coverage anyway. So I guess I had some mixed results.

I have heard of one guy that used the roll on bedliner stuff but he used it on the inside as kind of a slip-resistant covering over a totally epoxy capsulated boat. He loved it. There probably is a weight penalty. On the outside, I like the idea of epoxy and graphite. I used it on one boat and it seems quite tough (and slick). I haven't used it enough to be sure of the durability. In any event, it is extremely easy to touch up scratches on the bottom. A quick swipe with a disposable foam brush.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

We know they make Royalex other high technikle canoes, but caint they put the very same stuff in a can? Then ya'll kin build the purty canoes 'n pirogues 'n paint 'em with a can of Apollo 13?

Okay....mebbe that wont work. I'll jest stay with my John Cameron Swayze canoe.

Roger than Houston,
bearridge
bodine astronaught school

I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called 'brightness,' but it doesn't work. Gallager

Regarding the bedliner material for hulls. I sprayed the inside of my duck boat with bedliner material for two reasons: First, it has the obvious non-skid benefit (my boat was aluminum), and second it quieted things down quite a bit. I try to be as quiet as I can when duck hunting, and sometines just moving and scraping that aluminum hull has spooked the ducks. I guess it also gives the obvious benefit of protecting the surface from sharp objects. I'm putting some 1x4x 1/2 inch skid rails on the ends of my piroque to give a little bit of protection from oysters, etc. They shouldn't impede forward progress much if any, and won't give a rough surface for sand and stuff to cling to.