Bit the bullet! | SouthernPaddler.com

Bit the bullet!

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Hey all, I have gotten the bug as well and ordered the glass and epoxy from RAKA, Larry was real nice and helpful. I also went to the lumber yard and got most of what I need to finish the boat. (UJ's Pirogue)

I have read many of the posts here and they are very informative and have helped a lot so far. :lol: My questions before getting started are for my own personal preferences for my boat.

1. How long to make the boat? I will be using the boat by myself mostly and will be fly fishing mostly and just getting out on the lake etc. I am thinking 14'-15'max.

2. Can I expect to take this boat down any rivers as long as they are not to shallow and the water is not to rough or is this a no no as to the strength of the boat? Any words of wisdom are very welcome!

3. How durable is a glassed bottom and inside bottom boat with out a keel?

I will have many more Q's as I get going here. I feel I already know some of you from your posts especially Chuck and his strip redwood boat that is just awesome.

There is an old saying: A smart man learns from HIS mistakes, but a wise man learns from OTHERS! That's why I'm here! Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Thanks Again,

Chad

Jack etching in here: "Some men learn from being told, and other just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Chad

Welcome to the nut house and we will NOT ASSUME any responsibility for you making more then the one boat ... that will be your responsibility and not out fault , so tell your better half to not cuss at us , till you make her one for her fun on the water.

Question # 1....... Most of the time it only takes a couple of weeks or less depending on the speed of the builder , but as in all good things it is better to go slow and think of the steps that need to be done. Yep.. I know it is Greek to you right now but after you build your boat you will see what I am saying.

Can you say.... Dang , I should of done this or that......Ha Ha Ha ... Ya will , so far everyone has By the way I like the 15 or longer ones , good solo paddling or with a partner , plus they hold all of my camping gear.

# 2.......... This boat is a shallow water boat but will handle deeper water depending on the paddlers ability. Any boat will float ..... it is the person in it that makes it capsize.

#3.... Personally I do not like a keel on it , others do. I would suggest trying it without one and then if you need it add it later. Glass the boat inside and outside , this protects the wood from the water and elements. You do want your customized ,hand crafted , boat to last ..... right.

Feel free to ask questions , that is why we are here and someone will respond , like you will after you have built one. It is called folks helping folks and the ony stupid question you can ask is the one you don't ask........:roll:

As you build it ask , we will offer information for your decision on how you want to make it , that is your choice , it is your boat.

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks Chuck, I guess the first question is a little vaugue. Although that is good advice on time to build. I really would like some more help with the length to make the boat. Remembering I already purchased 1/4 inch ply before reading some of your posts about saving weight with 1/8 th inch. So I guess I will need to keep the boat a little shorter maybe?

I don't want it to be a hog that I can't get off the car to the river! If the boat is easily handled I thinkl I will be motivated to get it out more often.

Thanks for the promt response,

Chad

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The 1/4 inch wood will make the boat someplace from 50 to 55 pounds at 15 feet. Still a really light weight wood boat. Most fiberglass canoes weigh 70 to 80 pounds at that length.

It is best that you do the 1st one as directed in the instructions , this will give you the experience needed to make modifications later on with a lighter weight boat. It is a learning and thinking process.

I made the Red Wood one at 40 pounds at just over 16 feet and before then one from the 1/8 th inch wood at 32 pounds at 15 1/2 feet.

Just like swimming or ridding a bicycle , you have to get your feet wet or hop on and take a spill before you get good at it. Heck... You might even end up making one lighter then I did.

Chuck.......

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Chad, welcome aboard mate.

I agree with Chucky. 15 to 151/2 feet is a good versatile length for a pirogue. I would also recommend using the 1/4" ply for the first build. The 1/8" stuff is much harder to work with for not that much of a saving in wieght.

Mate, pirogues are superb boats. I bloody love mine. The are primarily a flat,skinny water boat but I think with very low seating would also be quite usefull on rivers with gentle rapids and such.

Ya need to build and paddle one of these beautiful boats to understand just how god they are.

Again mate, Welcome to the dark side.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks for the welcome and the advise on length. I went out in the garage and started glueing up the ribs just to get something going. It's all down stream from here Gent's

Chad

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
cctyer said:
Thanks for the welcome and the advise on length. I went out in the garage and started glueing up the ribs just to get something going. It's all down stream from here Gent's

Chad

Definitely more fun paddling down stream then up stream. :lol: :lol:

Look the instructions over , under stand the steps and if any droughts arise then ask and we will help. Just don't get in a hurry , take your time , enjoy the process of building your own boat , it will be a lot of fun for you.

More fun will come when you paddle it. :D

Chuck.
PS. When you say gluing it ... I trust it is with some epoxy. If not then later I hope you use some epoxy on them.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Oh yeah they will get the epoxy and fillet treatment later. I used some titebond III to tack the ribs together. I hope that this is not a mistake. I plan on using epoxy for most of the work. But I also read that you can use this type of glue for these early steps. Please let me know if this should be avoided and only use epoxy. I also think I will use the butt joint on the sides and bottom. if it's just as strong as scarfing then I will probably go that direction.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Glue will work , I just have more faith in the epoxy , water does not bother it.

Chuck
What is a tide chart. ? Plus everyone knows that the tide is either going out or coming in , just when is the question..... that didn't get answered. (Jack etching in here)

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Got it Chuck! The stupid bottle even says waterproof. Oh well I will wait to get the epoxy before going any farther. Also if I use screws and epoxy to put the stem and stern on and take out the screws, do I just fill the holes later with the epoxy wood flour mixture or is there another method that is prefered?

Thanks,
Chad

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I am sure there are a lot of ways to do that ......BUT.......

What I do is to remove the screws after the epoxy has set up , then mix some epoxy and wood flour as a putty and fill the holes. Shove it in and when it is full some will poke out , a old charge card is ideal for removing that before it set up , after it is set a light sanding to make it smooth and flush with the wood. Try not to sand thru the outer layer of the wood. :oops:

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks for the tips guys! There was a big box from RAKA waiting for me when I got home from work last night!!! Sweet! I will be making ready all the tools etc. and going over the instuctions a couple more times and then "measuring twice, cutting once" so to speak. I will try to extract most of the info I can from the vast archives within this forum but I am sure there will be many Q&A sessions forthcoming. So If you guys are willing to see another sucker :lol: (newbie) through another first time build then let's do this.

Thanks in advance,

Chad

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Chad

A long time ago all of us were newbies at this , now we are just old goats. Who make wood boats that do float. :lol:

Ask away but there is no claim made by southernpaddler that the answers are correct , we get distracted rather easily.
Where was I ???????? "O" Yes being a newbie could be a good thing since we have not gotten you addicted to building boats .... YET. :roll:

One thing happens when a person builds a wood boat , they will either say ... One is plenty or they start thinking about another one , usually it is the latter one that the greater majority does. They build a different one or some for family or friends.
Home crafted , customized , hand built wood boats are like potato chips , one is just not enough.

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Don't goats eat almost anything? Anywho! I was just trying to post a picture using the info you (Chuck) gave on that very subject. I got a few test pics hosted at the site you mentioned. Now I need to figure out how to get them on a reply like this, so when I get to building I can post pics. Sorry I'm sorta new to the whole digital image thang.

Thanks,

Chad

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Hit the reply button to get an empty screen , the same way you would post anything.

when the screen comes up then look up at the message body line and go over to the Img button , click on it ......... now paste in the http://whatever.jpg file then click back on the Img button.

You want the Img at the start and the end of the http.jpg file to post the picture. NO spaces between the jpg file and the Img at each end or it will not work.

Img = image.

The file with out the Img at each end ................. This one will work as a click on to see but will not post the picture on the forum
http://www.southernpaddler.com/oldspark ... %20056.jpg

The same one with Img at each end
eglades%20056.jpg

Chuck