Bit the bullet! | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Bit the bullet!

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Chad,

not sure if I have welcomed you aboard yet mate. (I have been away for a couple of weeks) but welcome aboard anyway.

Re the stems, I thought there was too much angle also. There isn't. It all comes together really nice once you put the sides together and then spread them with the frames. 45 degrees is fine but if you would like a little steeper stem that is also fine. It is your boat mate, build it the way you like it.

I am not sure what you mean but it is critical that the sides are identical in length and height. It is also very important that the sides are level with eachother when you stick the stem pieces and frames in place. (no twist)

Matt has some very good tips on how to achieve this in the tips and tricks section of his Jem Watercraft site here -

http://jemwatercraft.com/forum/viewforu ... eb77a83265

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Chad,

I see ya aint far frum Russellville. Ya dont cook at Feltner's Whattaburger, do ya? [jest kiddin'] How bout the Dixie Cafe 'er Brown's Catfish Cafe? I ate at the trolley car in Russellville a time 'er two.....'n a heap of other spots.

So where do ya wet yer paddle?

regards
bearridge

ps My nephew iz a cook too. He went ta the CIA up on the Hudson River. He lives in Memphrika nowadays.

I asked him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.' Frank Layden, Utah Jazz President

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It depends on the size of the sideboards , The end pieces are at a predetermined length so if the sides are less then that length , cut off the part of the ends that are sticking up , or round them off. If they are lower then the area needs to have a short deck put over them.

Most of the pirogues I make I have to trim off a small part of the bow and stern pieces.

The ends of the sideboards are at a 45 degree angle , that is what helps to give the desired amount of rocker to the boat.

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Got it chuck and Hairy! I just wanted to get things rollin in the right direction before I started cutting. I also just want to make sure, You coat the area you are going to glue with epoxy first and let it cure then you can go ahead and glue up? Also I have been reading other posts and found one that said not to use a hardwood ply. :( Welllll.... I already purchased and ripped 2 sheets of oak vaneered plywood! It had a nicer finish on it and thought it would make for a great looking boat. I never read before TODAY anywhere that you should not use hardwood so now what? I really don't want to start over and buy more wood.

bearridge: I work cook at the Grapevine restaurant here in Paris come on down and get your tummy filled anytime!

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
chuck it sure is good that geezers don,t paddle with u guys every day. i guess we would all be big as cows. :D :lol: :lol: sounds like some mighty fine food & cooking thought, can,t wait to try it one day. :)

i like to eat good food to though, hard to turn down. (cat)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Putting the side boards together using a butt joint , coat the area with some epoxy to get it into the wood , then when it has set up put the joints together , cover then with a piece of fiberglass and epoxy it.

Make sure there is some plastic under and over the joint so you don't epoxy it to your work table. Something over the top to make sure it stays down and does not move is necessary , a little weight not a lot.

When attaching the ends , same thing epoxy then put into place and secure them. Filleting the bottom and side , epoxy saturate out a couple of inches , let it set then you can put down some masking tape to set the edge of the fillets , when the fillet is almost cured ... pull the tape and you will have a nice straight , crisp edge to the fillet.

The idea is that the epoxy seals the wood so when you pull the tape you don't pull any wood with it.

I don't see where the wood you have would be a problem , build the boat ... then epoxy saturate it with a diluted mix of epoxy and acetone so it soaks into the wood. Let it set up then fiberglass the boat inside and outside.

I make mine from the cheap Luann Ply and they work for me...... The way I see it is that the wood is the inner shell of the boat and used to give it .. it's look. The fiberglass is what actually makes the boat and protects it.
Think of it as a "P" Nut butter sandwich. The center is the tasty part and the bread on each side makes the sandwich.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
cctyer said:
bearridge: I work cook at the Grapevine restaurant here in Paris come on down and get your tummy filled anytime!

JEZEEEEeeeee Louise .... Don't tell Bear something like that. :p

All of us have unspoken jobs when camping together , I usually do the cooking and if not then help with it. Someone else watches and turns the spuds in the coals and so on.

Bear has the hardest job of all of us.... He is our food critic. He goes from pot to pot taking a sample of what is cooking and making sure it is OK for us to enjoy.
This job is very exhausting and quite filling because when we sit down to eat , he usually only has two plates of what ever we had.

Now I do remember one time when he did some cooking and it was his famous BLT Sandwich , down right tasty and good. "O" One other time he fixed a gourmet meal and showed the guys how to do it ... I forget what the main menu was but it came in something called a MRE Pack. :lol:

He is a lot better as out food critic and just down right fun to be camping with , especially if you want to have side pains from laughing. Need some help , Bear is the 1st one there giving a helping hand and doing anything he can to make a good camp and good times.
A couple of times he was the main person saving some paddlers from the river and even saving there gear. He called the shots and we did what he said , gear and paddlers (wet an cold ) but still healthy an breathing.

He and oldyaker even saved all of my gear on one trip when I thought swimming would be more fun then paddling , actually it was the canoe that made that decision.

Chuck.
Pssssst .. Bear ... NOW.... Do I get that $20.00 since I said all of those nice things like you told me to.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
Pssssst .. Bear ... NOW.... Do I get that $20.00 since I said all of those nice things like you told me to.
Mister Sparkanator,

Fer a cop, yer such a sucker....I usually have ta pay twice that much fer half az many lies. :mrgreen:

I tell ya what. Jest ta show why folks call me Mister Generous, I will spring fer the bail bond if ya land in the hoosegow with that Mexican credit card on yer way ta Miz Ann's.

Aye Laddie. :wink:
bearridge

Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master. unknown high school student

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
I love the p-nut butter sandwich analogy Chuck! It's all good! I am just gonna get down to it and get you guy's to help me when I need it and move forward. After all it's just a pile of wood and fiberglass cloth and resin right now! Soon it will be a treasured pile of wood and fiberglass that hopefully will have some great times and memories in the future. I love being on the water and fishing more than almost anything but I will have to be patient.
I am going to start that new thread now in this same forum as this one has been delightful but gone a little astray in a very hilarious way. Let's see............ I think I'll call the thread the P-Nut pirouge!!!! Yeah that's the ticket. See you on the other side and thanks again all of you!! :mrgreen:

Chad

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Chad,

Don't stress over it mate. Hardwood is fine, just a little heavier :D

I used hardwood on my 15 foot pirogue and it is still about 30 percent lighter than a 14 foot fibreglass canadian canoe that I had.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Awww c'mon Jack, I love herrings. :D

Here is something we haven't used for a while - coffee :lol:

IMG_1383Small.jpg

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Well if you all don't care I'll Stick it out right here. After all I feel like this thread is some kind of kin to me now and don't want to let go of her just yet! :wink:

I will post a pic of that pile of wood and fiberglass so it shows I really am getting started.

P4280026.jpg

P4280028.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Now hold on jest a dang minute. We have strict rules here at the Chomp & Choke Cafe. At least I think we do. :wink:

regards
bearridge

It aint what ya dont know that hurts ya. What really puts a hurtin’ on ya iz what ya knows fer sho, that jest aint so. Uncle Remus

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks guy's I am sort of a neat freak but not to bad. I did glass the inside of the sideboards today. Can I use two layers of 3.25 cloth on the inside of the seam instead of the 1/8 th inch ply? (butt joint of course)

After all that hard work I had to choke down the dust with one of my home brews IPA to be exact. MMMMMMM!!! Have a great sunday Gents!!! 8)

P4290002.jpg

P4290001.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ironing boards serve several different but worth while functions in camp , it is a priceless piece of equipment.
Non Campers would have trouble knowing why they should be a everyday part of your camping gear
My guess is Jack is just not that wise to the ways of camping and really enjoying life in the outdoors. It seams to me that he prefers the Spartan way of camping.

So for his edification ( That is Knowledge about how things should be done ) Let me s'plane it to everyone out there in cyber land in simple language.
1st let me say this is No BS , No Sir , I have actually camped with a person that never has a wrinkle in his clothing , even after a week in the woods.

NOW ... THIS IS NO CHIT.......:roll: ( I have never tried any of the following but was told be several persons , of questionable character ,that all of these work )
1. They can be towed behind your boat for extra storage of the camping gear or holding one large ice chest.

2. Camping when the tide is coming in they make a great surfboard , when the tide is going out they make a good belly board.

3. They can be used as a camping table in case anyone forgot to bring a table.

4. If someone brought a table then they do double duty as a table for the buffet line when everything is ready and being served.

5. After supper they can be used as the local bar to serve drinks on and use the ice they transportation to the camp in the ice chest.

6. They can serve as a temporary operating room table for any one injured when falling off a log answering the call of nature in the back country. Just have to set them up a lot lower then normal for the person to bend over. Moon Over or in the Camp ....:lol: :lol: :lol:

7. In a pinch they can be used as a fish cleaning station.

8. In the northern areas they have been known to be used as a skin streatching board for the beaver skins and otters.

9. They make a good , temporary , movable work table for making smaller wooden boats or a shelf for the epoxy and tools.

10. Some folks actually use them to iron camping clothing on. That is the civilized campers who always want to be neat and well dressed , does not work for the barbarians who never bath or change clothing. :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
PS. The Iron that goes with the ironing board can be used for a multitude of uses but the main one is pressed grilled cheese sandwiches.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Matt is going to kill me for saying this..........

When I make my boats if I am going to glass them inside and outside then I do not glass tape the seams . They will be glassed on both side when the boat is glassed.

I give them a good fillet on the inside to make a rounded area for the glass to lay over ( it hates 90 degree bends) and the fillet also helps in case I round off the outside to much.

For extra insurance tape the outside of the seams , that is where most of the wear and tear is done to the boat when landing or taking off for the day. Extra glass on the seams does not hurt a darn thing.:D

I thought you were talking about when the bottom is attached to the side boards ... SORRY ......

The glass I use over the butt joints is 3.25 or what ever I have here. When both sides are done it will be solid , single application of glass per side.

Chuck
OK.. Ya forced me into doing this .. off for a cold one. :p