Bit the bullet! | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Bit the bullet!

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
tyer don,t no about the weight difference in the two woods , but if the grains still show when u get it glass it will be a pretty boat. the rest of the geezers will be jelous. :lol:

sparky sounds like there ain,t nothing wrong with having an ironing board in camp, many uses. u ain,t saying some camping geezers afraid of water . :) :lol:

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
I'm still here guy's! I am making some progress and starting to put the sideboards on the stems. Just trying to take my time and get it right. I sure wish I would have bought that piece of plexiglass for the joints it would save alot of sanding. Oh well! I am using a palm sander right now and looking at getting a random orbital. Is there a big difference in the two cuz I foresee much sanding and want to get the right tool? I also have a belt sander.

I will post a few pics soon.

Good day!

Chad

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Avoid a belt sander; they can remove too much and bite down into the cloth before you realize it.

I'm not at all sure what you mean by a "palm sander". If you mean a sanding block & you are doing it with muscle power - RUN, don't walk, to the nearest mental hospital and admit yourself.

An orbital sander is the only, single, critical piece of power tool you need for boat building. My cordless drill has a little crank on the side - an egg beater style drill. My cordless saw is a Japanese hand saw.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
and looking at getting a random orbital. Is there a big difference in the two cuz I foresee much sanding

A huge difference. A ROT will shift a LOT more material more quickly than a 1/3 sheet orbital sander.

I also have a belt sander

I would keep away from the fibre-glass and ply with this one. Way too savage. They are ideal for cleaning up the tops of the gunwhales though.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Thanks Mick and jack. I picked one (random orbital sander) up today and gave it a swirl to check it out and your right it flat gets with it.

As Mick would say " Good on ya Mates".

Chad