Building a ugly boat | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Building a ugly boat

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I picked up the wood yesterday for the Duck ( 4 mm luan) I know but I am addicted to it. This one will be done with epoxy so if you hear me cussing ignore it :shock:
I got home and it started raining ,covered the ply and it is still raining,I can just about guaranteee three times it will rain when I start a boat,have it ready to try out when it is finished and when Chuck comes to paddle.
I am going to strip this deck so I guess it will be a hybrid duck.
We need the rain but I sure am chomping at the bit to get started.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Dang it is still wet outside,cleaning the garage today so I can work inside ,need to get me a wood sawdust fix going here.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well a little change of direction here,wasnt happy with the wood I picked up.
As most of you know I have built all my boats from laun,well after a trip to several stores,I couldnt find any that suited me.
I guess this boat is going to be a double hybrid it will have stripe deck be a stitch and glue but the panels will be strip built.
I found some nice white pine that was light in 1 by 12 by 16 ft,and some wrc in 16 ft lengths
Yesterday I started ripping strips,today I started gluing up panels. I just laid them out on a sheet of ply marked off my panels and then drove nails in every 12 inches,using a brad nailer I bent the strips around the nails and nailed the strips to the sheet of ply,oh I put a layer of wax paper between the strips and the ply.
Have several panels done and they seem pretty light and rigid.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Here is one panel glued up, maybe you can get an ideal of what I am doing.

IM002495-1.jpg

IM002496.jpg

I layed the pattern out on a 1 by 12.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
That was a bad pic to see it ,ok when you lay your patterns out you drive nails and bend a piece of wood around it to get your arc on a s@g I took my first strip and laid it flat bent in the curve around the nails then shot brads in it,then I starting adding strips, the strips are really in and arc of the side.
Ron
Thats probably clear as mud.
The panel in the pic has about a 1/2 arch in 8 ft,or curve

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I've been thinking about this since craiggamesh built his strip pirogue. I hate the idea of using all of those staples. What if you layed out the strips like you did- just layed them down side-by-side and placed a batten over them at several places to keep them flat and used wedges against some solid cleats to squeeze them all together. You could lay out a whole panel at one time and wouldn't have the staples to pull or the holes to mar the pretty wood. I might give that a try.

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Joey
I think we are bad for each other.Lol
I bought the white pine for a couple reasons,I wanted a lite colored deck accented in dark strips, the pine seems to be a little tougher than ceder and this boat is going to catch h$$$ in races.Plus I bought enough wood for a boat and a 1/2 for about what one sheet of marine ply is costing.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ron...

Are you doing like I did for the stripper pirogue , I cut the strips , layed them out on a flat surface and used some good wood glue to hold them together. To have a tight fit , I put some weight on them to hold them down and keep them flat and used a series of some wide clamps to pull them together forming a single panel.

Some of these.
Clamp2.gif

When the set up then ran a bead of epoxy along the seams to really lock them together. After that , they were sanded with a belt sander to get all of them the same thickness and nice and smooth. Then cut them to shape and put the boat together. Remember there are no curves ( so to speak) in a pirogue , just flat sheets of panels.

Chuck.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
This is interesting. You could do all sorts of patterns in any sort of wood.

I wonder how it compares strength wise? The plywood has alternating grain due to the layers of veneers. This is gonna be solid wood with all the grain running one way... of course it will be glassed inside and out, I assume.

Really interesting!