Building a ugly boat | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Building a ugly boat

JEM

gbinga said:
This is interesting. You could do all sorts of patterns in any sort of wood.

I wonder how it compares strength wise? The plywood has alternating grain due to the layers of veneers. This is gonna be solid wood with all the grain running one way... of course it will be glassed inside and out, I assume.

Really interesting!

Can't skimp on the fiberglass or the thickness of the strips.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well I got some more done,all the side panels and half the bottom panels done,if I have a good weekend I should be stitching her together.
This is going to be my race boat ,if it preforms like I think it will and will really be treated rough ,I know the white pine will be just a tad heavier but it is tougher than the ceder. the boat will be covered inside and out with 6 ounce glass,an extra layer of tape down the v on the bottom ,graphite over that and I am going to try some epoxy graphite aluminium powder mix on the first 6 inches on the front and the last 6 inches in the rear,over the regular graphit coat.
I have never seen anyone do a boat like I am doing this one ,stripping but building panels that have the curves in them. I cant see why it want work and it is the best of both worlds (I Hope). Should have the looks of a stripper the simplicity of the stitch and glue . I also went with the strips because of running rocks and getting cutts in the glass ,there shouldnt be as much chance of a delamination with the solid wood.
If this works any set of plans could be adapted to this.
Ron

Steve

Ron, keep the pictures coming, please. . . I've thought about making strip panels and building that way. I was thinking more along the lines of what Chuck had done on his redwood pirouge but I like the idea of what you're doing, so I hope you show more pics of the build. . . . But, I do know you. . . once you start there be no time for picture takin'. :lol:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
A little insite to why I am doing this build this way,
1 The wood I had just wasnt up to par and was having a hard time finding what I wanted.
2 So much cheaper than the marine ply
3 with normal up keep should be a pretty long life boat,solid wood cant delaminate

4 I wanted a light colored boat with dark accents,so far the strippers I have seen darkened with age
5 White pine had the light color I wanted,was tougher than the ceder still light weight.
And the main thing I had never seen it done this way so wanted to try it,A lot of strippers have been used so I dont think strength will be a problem. talking about cross layers in ply wood,there is another way to look at that strength wise,you just have half the strength running each direction. The other thing is no strongback, :D
This will be a downriver boat and the hull shape should be faster than a stripper hull of the same design.
I will keep the pics coming just not much to show right now.
Ron

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I wonder if it would be good to glass one side of the panel before the build, as insurance against having a panel break on you as you bend it into shape.

George

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Dang a lot of sanding but its sure looking good.
I think I will be able to sart stiching tomorrow afternooon
Ther are not to hard a twist in this design so I am going to try it with out putting on any glass.
Ron

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
nopics.gif

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
ok here you go Mike

IM002499.jpg

Would you believe there is a boat in there

IM002498.jpg

IM002497.jpg

I finaly got thru sanding and its time for it to start looking like a boat.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Belly
I figured I am getting into geezer hood so started label things so I will know which tool to use :lol:
This boat is going to work but I think I have it worked out so you can build it with no splices and stapless. but I need to back channel Matt about it.
Ron
PS Paul glad to see you back.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Ya ever wonder why they call it "sawdust" instead of "wood dust"? :?:

And where did all that grass come from? The last build featured a nice dirt yard........ :shock: