Building a ugly boat | Page 8 | SouthernPaddler.com

Building a ugly boat

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Chuck
I cant wait to do the run we made on the Brazos,It has enough different kinds of water to get a really good feel of what she will be capable of. Getting the seat in the right place and secured,footpegs in,and sides and bottom slick should really add to the power and speed of this boat.

Ron

Yep...
The Brazos would be a good test on a river run , even going down stream to see what she will do. Or if you had your Wheaties , up river then turning around and back down using the two for comparison.

Where we put in if it is about the same distance to the bridge from there as the same distance on the race it would give you a good idea of the time to complete the race. Or half the distance the double the time. Heck you get the idea.

My only concern would be the shallows where we had to line the boats , that would add a lot more time.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
Coming down I can run it all the way,no lining at the levels we had ,course might be a couple scratches on the bottom of the boat :D
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Chuck
Coming down I can run it all the way,no lining at the levels we had ,course might be a couple scratches on the bottom of the boat :D
Ron

Don't you dare scratch up the bottom of the Ugly Duck.......
IM002550.jpg

or I will have the Texas hit squad after you. I do have Sonya's number ya know. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
Now you know I dont baby a boat.
I see a good rapid it is paddle like heck give a rebel yell and go for it :D :D :D
Have a blast doing it.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
tx river rat said:
...Getting the seat in the right place and secured,footpegs in,and sides and bottom slick should really add to the power and speed of this boat...
Ron, have you considered thigh/knee braces like in a touring kayak? With the narrow beam of your boat, that would add a lot of stability for you, and prevent some upsets too.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
With the open cockpit I dont think they would work also in these races sometimes you are going over logs rocks all kind of stuf so it has to be easy in and out.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well I entertained my neighbors today. first I took a single saw horse and took the duck out in the front yard,playing with getting the center of balance, Its a little bit of a show one person trying to handle the boat and then you throw in the v bottom.
Well I got that marked then put her down in the grass set the seat in her got in and started playing with the foot peg and worked that out,well by then a couple of my neibors were out front rubber necking,I couldnt help my self walked in the house got my paddle and practiced my forward stroke , :twisted: :twisted:
I think I have the seat location AND PEGS LOCATED.WOUND UP WITH THE CENTER OF THE PEGS 6 INCHES FROM THE FLOOR.
rON

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I think tomorrow I am going to attach a tennis ball to the end of some 100 braided line I have set the yak in the front yard and turn Magoo out ,my black lab, he will bite all day and should put up a good fight. :evil: :evil: :D
Ron
Should be good practice with a rod and reel

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Had a chance to do a little to the duck today. I cut and glued in blocks to mount my sea dogs on.

IM002553.jpg

When I cut the blocks out I beveled them so the pegs were close to straight up and down. I cut a grove for the screw head to clear. You can see the single screw for thrue the hull mounting.

IM002554.jpg

I then made some aluminium brackes that bolted to the thrue the hull mounting brackets and could be screwed down to the blocks

IM002555.jpg

And this is what I wound up with

IM002556.jpg

Before I run any glass over them I am going to try them out and see if everything is the way I want them,then I will go back in sand and glass.
Ron

Steve

tx river rat said:
I think tomorrow I am going to attach a tennis ball to the end of some 100 braided line I have set the yak in the front yard and turn Magoo out ,my black lab, he will bite all day and should put up a good fight. :evil: :evil: :D
Ron
Should be good practice with a rod and reel

Ya oughta rig ya up a couple o' wheel sets and a harness for ol' Magoo and dangle ya a tennis ball in front o' his face jest outa reach. . . . oughta create a WILD ride!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oughta be like running a class IV witey water!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve

Heck, Bob. . . we's jes' givin' 'im some idees fer 'is nex' 'un. . . . .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dang thing 'bout it, though. . . we ain't keerful, we's liable t' come up wit' a idee he could actually use. . . . :shock:

Scary thought, ain't it. . . . . :roll: :shock: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Lets see here,
Two cross bows mounted on the deck,foot operated cocking device on thebows,triggers mounted to the paddle.
rear view camera mounted with screen mounted to the coaming,four 1,000,000 candle powered spotlights deck mounted
a canopy mounted that you can drap a space blanket over to foil the heat seekers.Night vision mounted on your helment.
Hum drawing board here I come,wonder if you could make a full auto cross bow.
Ron