Building a ugly boat | Page 6 | SouthernPaddler.com

Building a ugly boat

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
well I am one of the quiet ones following this build,and don't want to rush you Ron but I can hardly wait to see the finished ugly duckling that is now resembling a beautiful swan and hear your unbiased paddle report. :| I'm getting my tools shipped in and now the hardest part is deciding on the plan,my first thought was stich and glue hybrid but this thread blew that out of the water.So you kind of got me sittin on the fence, so I'm patiently waiting and I've found more haste equels less speed.

MM

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
M M
Welcome to the nut house,You will find a bunch of knowledgeable folks on this site,all eager to help and answer questions. We kick a lot of stuff around dont always agree but you get a good cross section of ideals and working points from some good craftsman.
Hairy Mick,Chuck,JackOld yaker ,just to name a few .They taught me everything I know :shock: :shock: :shock:
I guess I am the outlaw I build outside the box a lot and it is a blast,Oh and Our head potentate Matt the designer ,he is as good as they get.
This boat is a specialty boat ,built for one class and down river racing,the use of white pine is a little heavier but tougher,think pine is 26 lbs per sq ft western red ceder is 24 lbs a sq so I gained a little weight, I am thinking about 2 lbs.
I have to be honest I think it will be fast easy to paddle,with the long water line turning may be a problem. In a week or so we will know,
The next one I build will be full length strips ,no staples,. I like to work with this construction much better than the plywood.
Ron

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Bellybuster said:
this is lookin real purdy Ron. I am now convinced I will attempt a laker this way. My panels are still just sitting on the floor and could be easily used as templates. Question for me is whether or not I get the permission slip signed

Hey Belly,
I'm pretty sure we all believe in the principle of "BETTER TO ASK FORGIVENESS THAN PERMISSION" on this website! It's the only way most of us would have ever gotten into boat building to begin with! :wink:

Lee

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Got the front decks glued and sanded,stiched it up and tacked it.

IM002523-1.jpg

Did some sanding and fitting to the deck.

IM002526-1.jpg

wet it down for one more sanding

IM002525-1.jpg

Later
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Started working on parts for the combing cut and glued them.

IM002529-1.jpg

Started glassing the bottom of the decks.

IM002530-1.jpg

This afternoon Darrel came by and gave his approval,
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Made a little progress today, got the decks put on and filets run around them

IM002531.jpg

IM002533.jpg

Then I stripped the area each side of the cockpit.

IM002535.jpg

Sanded that down and then started building my coaming

IM002536.jpg

It sure did change the looks when I finished stripping the decks.
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I am really getting to like those flat topped decks , front and rear. Quit teasing us, Ron. Give us a pic of the WHOLE boat, or is that going to be a surprise? :)

By the way, how do you like working with the epoxy?

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I am really not teasing ya,ll with the bad weather and rain here I am having to build in the garage so side shots are hard to take. I will get her outside in a few days.
JD I backslid and used poly,it will have some epoxy on the finish coat and the graphite coat.
Lets see this boat is a s@g striper half white pine and western red ceder part poly part epoxy,should call it a Heinz 57.
Ron

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Am liking the look of this one Ron. As usual you always get the rest of us to start thinking of options. Ya ain't ever gonna die wondering if you coulda made a better boat.
Regards John.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Well I got the duck out outside today so I could shot a couple pic . Now it is time to start putting a good finish on her.

from the front

IM002546.jpg

from the rear

IM002545.jpg

side view

IM002544.jpg

IM002543.jpg

I havent weighed her yet but from the feel of it I would say in the fourtys. about 44 we will see hom my scale arm works :D
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Sonya did a god job mowing the grass , it looks really good. She is quite the Texas Gal , Bless her for taking care of things around the place while you get my boat ready. :D

Now stop fiddling around and get my boat done so I can come out there , drop it on my camper and get it back to Florida. The two of them are in this picture if anyone is wondering.
( Like that will ever happen , Great Job on your boat Ron , Ya have a winner )

IM002544.jpg

See how well they fit together , then Ron can make his Ugly Duckling for his use. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
PS. The rear sawhorse under my boat needs straightening , I would hate to see it fall .... NO .. The Boat not the sawhorse. :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The thing I enjoy the most is that Ron has sounded the alarm clock and woke a lot of folks up to the fact a boat can be made as a stripper.
It requires nothing more then some imagination and the guts to do it , like I did it with the pirogue back in 06 , unlike me ......Ron has managed to do it and spread the word ......
All I am saying it is that Ron and several others have finally ........DONE IT. Leave it to the Texans ( you know who you are and we have seen your fine handcraft in making boats ) to prove it can be done. Stitch and glue can be made as a stripper....... If you want to. :D

Chuck.