Chow Chow recipe | SouthernPaddler.com

Chow Chow recipe

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
No, I do not have a recipe for you. :oops: My Mother ( who is 91) has a bunch of tomatoes that won't ripen. She said that her Mother used to make a green tomatoe and cabbage Chow Chow. She does not have a recipe for it and would like to make some. So, if anyone has an old tried and true recipe that you could share with her she would appreciate it.
Bob

islandpiper

Bob, pull up the plants, roots and all with the tomatoes on them, hang upside down by the roots in a cool dark place.......they''ll ripen.

We used to make PICKLE-LILLEY up north, may be much like your chow-chow. I'll see if i can retrieve the recipe. I think it was in the Ball Canning Blue Book.

piper

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Lemme see if mom is in her right mind mind to give me hers......been eat'n hers for 60+ years.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Bear,
Mrs.B does chunks of potatoe like that in the oven. Sure is good. I'll try to get her to do some green tomatoes like that. Always ready for a new taste treat (within certain bounds). :shock:
Bob

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dont put bread crumbs 'er flour on 'em. These aint yer Poppa's fried green tomatoes. [grin] If ya pan fry 'em, dont put much oil in the pan. Good eatin'.

Steve

Sometimes I like to cut the green tomatoes into chunks, cut up some onion, crush a clove or two of garlic, add some sugar to some white vinegar, throw it all in a jar and seal it up tight and refrigerate. . . a few days later, or whenever, serve it all up cold with some fried catfish, some hushpuppies, and some french fries (of course the fries is done in the catfish oil so's ya can have some of the seasonings that come off the fish while it was frying. . .)

Dang it. . . Now I done it :shock: . . . I'm hungry, now. . . . :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Dang ya hide ... Steve. :evil:

Ya had me out running around in this heat , hitting the Ma an Pad Vegetable stands looking for green tomatoes. Guess what ???? I found a lot of red ripe ones but they gave me a "Are You Crazy" look when I asked for green ones. I'm thinking they never heard of fried green tomatoes either. I never bothered to tell them about your pickled green tomatoes since I was sure they would call the guys with the white coats that the straps buckle in the back to come and get me , if I did. :lol:

The south sure ain't what it use to be , To many dang Yankees moved in. Won't even say what the wife said when I asked to check at the store for green tomatoes , she is from New Jersey but that was almost 60 years ago , just can't get all of the Yankee out of someone. :wink:

Chuck.

Steve

Heck, Chuck, I ne'er meant fer ya to have to hunt 'em down. . . What kinda southern boy is ya, anyhow. not havin' a plant 'r two in some 5 gallon buckets. . . . . . . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
I'm growing peppers,tomatoes and zucinni in plastic feed tubs. Ranchers buy some kind of feed suppliment in them. These are heavy plastic. The ones for cows are black and the ones for horses are blue(least the ones I get). Drill some drain holes around the sides near the bottom. I fill them about a quarter full of powdered cow manure I get from under a cow barn and them I put 3 or 4 sacks of good potting soil and mix the manure up into the potting soil. Puts the plants on turbo grow. I've got one tub that still has the lid. Did not drill holes in that one. I got a small tow sack and put a couple a big nice n fresh piles of Boat Science in it and tied the sack closed and put it in the lidded tub. Filled the tub with water and every day or so give my plants a drink of fine rich aromatic manure tea.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Steve said:
Heck, Chuck, I ne'er meant fer ya to have to hunt 'em down. . . What kinda southern boy is ya, anyhow. not havin' a plant 'r two in some 5 gallon buckets. . . . . . . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One of them that haven't planted any. The wife said she was going to get one of those upside down things to plant a couple in so I didn't plant any and so far she hasn't gotten anything to plant any in. So it is Yes Sir we gots no Tomatoes today. :roll:

Steve

That's okay, Chuck, I'm still trying to figure out things up here for growing. . .it a tad different up than it is down south. . .
No kiddin', now, you really have to know what to do up here, else EVERYTHING, and I do mean EVERYTHING, that comes out the ground up here tastes like potatoes :roll: . . . Dang, even the watermelons got that dang potatoe taste. . . :evil:

Heck I mention turnip greens or talking up a nice smoked beef brisket, folks here tend to get the white suited fellers you mentioned earlier and have 'em standing in the wings ready to net me and carry me off. . .they just don't know good cooking up here. . . .

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I know you will not believe this but I have actually witnessed folks putting ... SALT :oops: ... on there watermelon. So I guess those up where you are could have some salt , pepper , a pat of butter and some sour cream on them. :lol:

"O" Boy a Brisket done nice and slow in a smoker sure would be good.
If you haven't tried this you are missing something good. Take some Collards , Turnips and Mustard greens ( equal mix) , mix them up an then wilt then down in a big ole skillet with a little bacon drippings in it. If you don't have the bacon drippings then fry up some bacon and use that grease. When the greens are done an served up , break the bacon up over the top of them. ( If you have not snacked on all the bacon ) :roll:

A big ole pile of them when wilted down sure is a lot smaller pile then you started with.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Steve,

Bout 10 years ago Ronnie had ta give up his cafe cuz they made the highroad wider 'n tore hiz place down. We argued over the money fer bout a year, then give up 'n let the jury figger it out. Ronnie wuz a purty good cook. All the game law kept a eye out fer him......like they do fer Gatormac. The Arkansaw boys runnin' nets on their side of the river watch fer him too. When it come ta huntin' game 'er fishin', Ronnie made up hiz own rules. Folks round here wuz surprized when he took all the money the jury give him 'n struck camp fer Idaho. I dont know if he wuz near Stanley, where most of the folks I know went, but he figgered he would buy a cafe 'n start agin. He looked at the cafe food up there 'n tole me they dont use much seasonin'.....jest a bit of salt 'n pepper. The way Ronnie seen it, soon az them folks tasted Zatarains, forehead sweat chili, Jambalaya, fried green tomatoes (the ones with the cornmeal on 'em) 'n all the other spicy vittles folks like round here, they would likely be lined up fer miles waitin' on a seat.

Ronnie called me one day 'n sez them folks didnt care fer hiz spicy food. They wanted a elk steak with some salt 'n a bit of pepper....plain 'n simple.

Now Ronnie knows how ta fool a lie detector....ever time.....so I dont know if what he sez iz true, but it mite be true if all their jalapenos, cayenes, garlic 'n such come up tastin' like taters.

regards
bearridge

ps When we drove thru Idaho, we seen all the quick food cafes in the cities, but I dont recall seein' any highroad cafes like "Sue's Kountry Kitchen", "Bubba's Hot Tamales", "The Dew Drop Inn", "The Grit King", "Dong Foos China Garden", etc. Mebbe he didnt stretch that tale too much after all?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Do you guys have the Cherry Tomatoes there? Small, about the size of a large grape but sweet as all get out.

I grow them in large flower pots. Easy to grow and maintain and LOTS of tomatoes all the time. brilliant. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
They aint found a way ta ruin cherry tomatoes yet. I like 'em. When the rest of the tomatoes taste like sawdust, I git a handful, slice 'em 'n make a fine sammich. Yum. Dust 'em with Zatarains. Mitey good eatin'.