ding, ding, ding went the trolley! | SouthernPaddler.com

ding, ding, ding went the trolley!

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Might sound a little weird, but around here, that would be a tough call.

Anyone put a kayak-type anchor trolley system on a Pirogue?

I've been keeping a small anchor right behind the seat, so I can ease it over the side when I stop to fish. I usually tied it off to the inner rail, again, right behind the seat.

As easy as this is, the problem is that I find myself anchored with the stern pointed into the current. Now I'm casting down-current, retrieving up-current, which makes for a rather un-natural presentation.

Rather than moving from one end of the boat to the other to anchor like I'd want to, I've been looking at the anchor trolley systems on those tupperware kayaks. I'm thinking those guys just might be onto a good thing!

Be nice to drop the anchor and then trolley the anchor up to the bow of the boat. Then I'd be facing up-current and be able to present the lure, bait, or fly, in a more natural fashion.

Anyone tried this yet? I do believe I'm about to give it a go. . .

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Read about this problem some time ago in a kayak/fishing forum and everyone was saying that using a pulley off the bow invariably led to the pulley being jammed resulting in having to make your way to the bow to untangle everything. I ended up using an "anchor" tied to the bow with a float about eight or nine feet along which I would then paddle up to and collect then retrieve my "anchor". It follows that the line has to be a bit longer than normal to allow for the slack needed to collect the float. Also you have to have some idea how deep the water is. I used this in fairly slow moving water. My "anchor" was actually an old football sock filled with sand. If I lost it, and I did once or twice it was no great loss. It does allow you to face the current. Alternatively do you have a seat you could turn around on?
Regards John.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Mike,

It doesn't need to be flash.

I tie my anchor off at the bow. I also have spliced an aluminium carabiner into the end of a shorter tail rope and tied the other end off near the seat.

The carabina is placed over the anchor rope. To raise the pick, I just pull on the tail roap from where I am seated and the carabina slips up the anchor rope and brings it to me. - easy. :D

Pirogue

Mike,
I did the anchor trolly on both my pirogue and my canoe. It works pretty well. I'd say go ahead and do it. You can aalso use it for the drift chute if you use one of them.

If you do not yous a drift chute, maybe you should try one. The pirouge, especially when you are out in the bay, tends to spin when hit with a gust of wind. The chute will help you stay straight.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Mike I also rigged up a trolley for my pirogue that I made after looking at the ones on-line for kayaks. I simply used an eye hook at the bow middle and stern that are attached by going through the inwhale from the top with a square nut on the bottom and a fender washer at the top of the eyebolt. I just tighten the eyebolt and the nut stays jammed up against the boat and inwhale until tight. Then I took a small poly line and ran it through the three eyes and back to the middle where I attached a SRING CLIP to one end and a loop at the other. I hook the loop into the clip and then to the eyehook in the center, it's now ready for the anchor line and right next to me at hand in the boat. I have the same 10# coated mushroom you have and I leave the line coiled up under the anchor right in front of me in the boat. I then unclip from the eyehook, clip in the anchor line and ease it over the edge, then I can tie it off there or pull the small poly rope trolley with the anchor rope through the spring clip forward or aft until the desired swing is achieved.
I hope this helps you and I only spent a few dollars on the whole thing. If you would like I can post a pic or two for you that might make it easier to understand.

Good Luck my Freind, 8)

Chad

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
I use something like Mick's rig except the retriever line is just a bowline tied loosely around the anchor line in place of the caribiner.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
This is going rather well!

I think I'll try something along the lines of what Mick and Bears Buddy described, first. Quick and simple. Then I'll see about setting up something with a little more of the "flash factor," if I can work out a few problems.

What I'd been thinking about was something along the lines of what the other Mike posted. But I'm concerned about the curve of the hull putting the trolley line right up against the hull, and the line itself rubbing against it.

So, Chad, I would like to see a pic or two of what you described, if you have the time. I can almost picture it from your description, but not quite.

I'll play around with the "simple version" out on the water, tomorrow. Thursday would be a bad day for that, as I'm trying out the second seat I finally got finished, using the wife as a test pilot.

It will be her first trip in the Pirogue, so stay tuned for that story! :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
G'day Flamike,
I have a fair amount of curve on the hull, so the centre padeye keeps the line in place. The anchor line runns out thru the carabiner and the tension on this keeps it away from the hull.
Hope that helps

Cheers Manjimike

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Chuck,

That thread you directed me to kind of threw me at first, then I realized that he's made a rather neat internal trolley system for his kayak. Good thinking on his part!

But, I'm looking to avoid stuff inside the hull, so I'll be thinking more along the lines of an external system. (That was pretty darned cool, though!)

I'm off to find some rod holder like Mick has on his boat, so I can try out my "plug & play" idea, mounting them on some pegs that will drop into the space between the inner and outer rails.

While I'm there, I'll see if I can find what I need to make something like either Chad did, or a real "flash" version like Manjimike's.

Manjimike, those pictures you linked to really helped, any chance you have one showing the rig "in use?" Or a drawing?

Got to run, I'm off to search out rod holders and stuff! I'd like to wait for to see what else gets posted first, but time is getting critical, as this particular trip also involves disposal of an expired dog! And it's starting to heat up out there. (Not mine, someone else's. (Long, weird story. Wife got me into this.)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
FlaMike said:
Manjimike, those pictures you linked to really helped, any chance you have one showing the rig "in use?" Or a drawing?

That 1st foto is with it set to use, just needs the anchor to be lowered. The ropes are locked in the cleats etc

Cheers Mike

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Here are some pics of the trolley i did. hope it makes it more clear!

one of three eyebolts

P9180229.jpg

the rig ready to string up through the eyes

P9180231.jpg

the anchor line going through at center
P9180235.jpg

P9180234.jpg

pulled up to the bow
P9180239.jpg

And to the stern
P9180240.jpg

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Couple of pics and a few words. . .

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!! :D

Excellent, Chad!

It will only take an hour out of my fishing day, tomorrow, but I can make a fast trip to the hardware store to pick up some eye-bolts and the washers & nuts I'll need, the rest I've got!

I can put this together and test fly it out on the water, along with the rod holder ideas I got from Mick, and still get in a day's fishing.

Too cool! :lol:

If I get to liking this anchor trolley thingy, then maybe I'll do a permanent install like Manjimike's later on.

The wife put off her first trip 'till Thursday, so I can test out any crazy thing I want to. If I can get that darned push-paddle done, I'll take it along too.

Should have quite a few pictures to post tomorrow night.
Thanks bunches!!!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Here are some pics of the rod holders I got at Bass Pro for only $14.99 and shipping was only 3.95 cuz it was under 15.00 dollars. Not a bad deal!
I just rigged up a simple wedge system that works really well at holding it stable. It also can be moved wherever I want it, or on either side. I have found so far that one rod is pleanty to handle as I mostly use the fly rod but I can stow the spinning rod and or use it also with no problems. the rod holders are fully adjustable and work a treat to quote Mick.
Have fun making your own custom applications Mike and please share what you came up with. 8)

here is what they look like and you get two
P9180228.jpg

The parts- a drawer pull with a threaded rod glued in it and some pine and 1/4" ply scraps and two blind nuts. The second one holds the triangular block on the unit when it's not on the boat so I don't loose it.
P9180223-1.jpg

front view
P9180225.jpg

rear view
P9180226.jpg

with my 9 ft 6wt. locked in
P9180241.jpg

here is a little bass I caught with the spinning rig
P8260199.jpg

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Now this is just too much! :shock:

After my last post, I was getting up to go to the garage and come up with a mount for the Berkley Rod Holder that looks almost exactly like the one in the above post! Then I heard the email notification that another reply had been made. . . Whoa!

Now I've gotten help with something before I even asked for it! :D

Downright spooky!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Chad,

I noticed yer stylish (brown) hats are all neatly hung on the wall.....'n yer boots are settin' side by side. Drumin' must be how ya take a walk on the wild side? 8)

a chucklin'
bearridge

ps Dont worry, without Felix, Oscar wuz jest anuther slob. :lol:

There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn what it is I'll get married again.  Clint Eastwood