ding, ding, ding went the trolley! | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

ding, ding, ding went the trolley!

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Freind bearridge, The Brown hat is my winter hat that's oiled and warm,the green'n is my oil stained brow summer hat! What with us livin way down yonder and all it gets a might warm as you know.
Now for the drums. They are not mine but belong to one of my sons freinds and somehow got left in my garage! Hey wait a minute possesion is 9/10's of the law right? So, I guess they are mine!! Well I'll be, I got me a neeto set a drums bear. Ya wanna come over and jam sometime? 8)

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Yes, that is a nice bass!

And I just noticed the footwear in that picture. When I went nutz buying those "inexpensive" beachwear shoes at the Great Wal of China Mart, (got 4 pair,) I bought one pair just like those, only two sizes larger than I normally wear.

I have a nice pair of neoprene waders (stocking-foot) for winter use. I got the over-sized pair to protect those.

Got to get back at it!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
cctyer said:
Ya wanna come over and jam sometime? 8)
Sho. Garage band iz my apex....'er acme. :wink:

Friend Mike,

I bought that foot set up myownself, but I usually wear wool socks. I keep the neophrene in case it starts ta snow. :wink: [Paddlin' in the snow aint half bad, but lord ya dont wanna turn bottom upwards.]

regards
bearridge

I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.  H.L. Mencken

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Them there shoes are real nifty sept for one thing. I got this real neat sun tan that looks like leopard spots on the tops of my feet. I even used some a that fancy sun hidin saulve I got from Mr. Druckers general store!

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
cctyer said:
I got this real neat sun tan that looks like leopard spots on the tops of my feet.
Friend Chad,

Wool iz a wonder. Bein' a high technologikle fella I like polartec cuz it iz so lite 'n soft, but on my feet I wear wool 'n frugal river sandals. It haz kept me warm in cold weather, even when my feet git wet whilst paddlin'. Folks that dont want their feet wet have ta wear big boots 'er yoga ever day (I figger that iz what Truthful Jack wuz doin' in the pichur where he wuz on that log with the chair glued ta hiz backside). They also worry bout water in the boat.....frum the paddle 'er frum a hoodoochie.

I jest step out in the water 'n dont worry. My feet dont git cold. By'n by the wool dries out 'n sometimes I put on a dry pair when I set down round a campfire with some of these guys. Sometimes I wait til time ta hit the sack.....that way I dont git my socks dirty.....'er do a heap a scrapin' before bed. :wink:

I spent years watchin' folks worry bout gittin' their feet wet. I never seen the point. Jest take 4-5 pair of wool socks. No stinky rubber boots 'n neophrene. Dry socks 'n feet ever nite. No cold feet. Dont weigh nuthin'.

Anuther good thing bout wool socks. When some of the fellas turn bottom upwards 'n the evenin' chill sets in, they will be yer pal fer life if ya loan 'em a pair of wool socks. My polartec Chilihead hat (like oldyaker's cept "extra" stylish) haz knocked out hypothermal 3-4 times so far.

It jest makes paddlin' so much eazier when ya dont have ta worry bout wet feet. Wearin' lite stuff on yer feet also helps ya kung fu.....if ya have ta kung fu somebody.

regards
bearridge

The difference between fiction and reality?  Fiction has to make sense.  Tom Clancy

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Yur so right about that one bear, Last time I got into a kung fu battle streamside the only thing that kept me from wuppin all 12 ninjas waz those pesky neopreene booties. I eventually tore up enuff a dem kung fu fighters that the rest turned tail got in there plastic boats and headed down stream never to be seen again. I did notice however the last one I dispatched that was the toughest of em all was wearing teva's with wool socks!!! Darnit all to heck he looked pretty warm too! :wink:

redfisher

Sep 18, 2007
Land O Lakes,Florida
If you do go the trolley route,use Harken blocks.(pullies)
You will thank me. :D
Before I started using blocks,I avoided use the anchor/trolley because it was so stiff and hard to pull.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
For all my " big talk" yesterday, I have little to show for it, now. :oops:

All I got done yesterday was to take another pair of $10 Wally-World paddles and make another kayak paddle out of them. This one didn't work out quite as well as the first one, but it looks to be usable. This time, I made up some drip-rings and installed them, right off the bat. Last time, I found out what a good idea those things are, the hard (or wet way.) :D

Woke up to the sound of rain, so I went back to sleep. This afternoon, I did get my lazy posterior out of bed and made a trip to find what I needed for the anchor system.

The more I got to looking at cctyer's pictures, the more I liked his method. So, I'm taking Chad's system, but doing a permanent, external version of it. (I'm that confident I'll like it!)

The bungee-tensioned systems are kind of cool, but the tension on the trolley rope pretty much necessitates the blocks (or pulleys) that I'd rather avoid. Chad's system avoids them by keeping a little slack in the trolley rope, so using eye-bolts (NO moving parts) works just fine.

I'll use three eye-bolts as Chad did, but they'll be mounted on the side of the hull, rather than on the rails, where they'll get in the way of my rod holders and external paddle and pole hangers. Clipping the hook on the lower trolley rope to the center eye bolt should keep it from banging against the hull when not in use. If not, then I'll pad the spot it bangs against with a little sheet rubber pad.

When done, I'll post pics. If the weather will allow tomorrow, I'll be posting pics of the new "toys" in use. Otherwise, I'll find a way to get some pics, anyway.

I also got a "quick & dirty" version of the rod holder working, but I can see where I'm going to have to refine it.

Oh well, not exactly what I had planned, but at least the time wasn't completely wasted. . . 8)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I have a one-piece kayak paddle (Black Dog Kayaks). I added home made drip rings by wrapping about 10" of cord around the paddle shaft twice, and then tying a clove hitch. If you leave one end dangling, the water tends to follow that instead of the shaft.

These highly technological devices are covered by 14 patents, a copyright or two, and my best wishes. Copy at your own risk.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
My original drip rings were made with some 45 mil EDPM rubber material. Might have kept it, but the material was badly weathered after sitting out for 15 years. . . They just don't make stuff to last anymore!

This time, I cut some 1/4" strips from one of those foam pipe insulators, coated it with rubber cement, then wrapped it around the paddle a couple of times. Might not hold up too well, but until I find something better, it's easy enough to replace.

Seems the weather doesn't look too promising tomorrow. Might just spend the day working on some "refinements" to the new accessories.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Mike I am honored you choose the method I proposed. Redfisher indicated that other systems are hard to pull but I can assure you the one I configured is as easy to pull for and aft as it gets. I am sure you will customize it to your liking and it will work great. I can't wait to see what you came up with and also your rod holder. I admit I started out with another idea there but ended up with this one by merley walking around the hardware store thinking of a usable method. I'm certain there will be some tweaking involved but that's the fun part. Good luck with the dog thing and we will be waiting for your trip report soon.

Remember, you can't catch a fish with your fly in the air! :wink: Have fun and rip a few lips for me!

Jack, I like your patented drip rings with the tag end hanging down attracting more drips. Good stuff that. Hey, did you ever get that chair off your kiester or is it going to get an added drip ring also? :lol:

Chad

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
JC that is a sweet set up also! I remember when that article was published on FAOL. I might consider such a set up in the future if this one dissapoints me. I like the fact you can anchor both ends of the boat at the same time. Thanks for posting the links.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Just a short post to let you know that I haven't bailed out on this one!

I've made some progress, but so far, I'm not too thrilled with the way things are working out. I may have to re-think some of it, but that's part of the fun, isn't it? :)

I will get around to posting some pics, I'm just a little bummed out because the weather has been keeping me inside too much. But, I'm starting to perk up, and even though I'm still messing about with "refining" this one, I seem to be having thoughts about starting another build. :shock:

Oh my. . .

I'll be posting some questions in the Kayak section.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Well, I've read a lot here, and I have to make an observation. Extra tracks and pulleys seem to be a complicated solution to a simple problem. It's your boat, and you should make yourself happy.

But, if a simple chunk of cord tied around the anchor rope to retrieve it will do the job, why go to all the work and expense of tracks and pulleys? You could spend that money on fishing lures and the time on losing them.

Just a question.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Well, at first the complex anchor "systems" appealed to the gadget lover in me. But the more I looked at them, the more I saw them as extra weight, a new form of clutter, and additional potential failure points. A high-speed, low-drag, super fishing machine might be fun, but that really isn't what I want. The reason I built a Pirogue was for simplicity. And I want to keep it just that.

That's why I'm going with a version of what Chris posted. No cheek blocks and bungee tensioners, just a couple of eye-bolts, a clip, and some rope.

The area I'm using the Pirogue in has a strong tidal flow over a hard rock bottom, often covered with oysters. Something like that dual anchor system using the weighted bags for anchors might be nice in some areas, but where I go, it would not be practical.

When I have the boat fully loaded, it's a bit hard to get all the way up to the bow from the seat back aft. The simple clothes line type trolley will let me get that 15 lb mushroom anchor down and set off the bow safely and without fuss.

There's nothing to jam in it, little to take care of, and the cost is minimal. Using it will let me park the boat where and how I need to, and reduce the odds of me taking an unexpected dive over the side.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL