ding, ding, ding went the trolley! | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

ding, ding, ding went the trolley!

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
For better or worse, the anchor trolley is pretty much a done deal.

Been more than just a little distracted lately, I posted some questions about maybe wanting to build a Kayak next, now I'm waiting to hear what Matt has to say, unless he's decided I might be dangerous to his reputation. :shock:

But, I'll be rambling on and on about that, in a different section of the Forum!

Went back to my #1 launch site, Pirate's Cove, Ozello FL. Wanted to get there at low tide, paddle out towards the Gulf a bit, then ride the tide back in.

Right.

When I did finally get there, I could see I was a little off in my timing.

acc07.JPG

After paddling about a bit, I took advantage extra high tide and took some pics right at the ramp, where it is normally high & dry. Made a nice studio, I thought.

acc01.JPG

Below, is Sacajawea anchored from just forward of the beam, with my permanent install version of Chris's nifty "no holes" anchor trolley. (Mine has holes.)

acc02.JPG

And again, with the anchor point moved towards the bow:

acc03.JPG

I found that with a slack-line trolley, it's no trouble to run the anchor point from midships, up to the bow, or back to the stern. I'm using no bungee for tension, no pulleys or cheek blocks, just three, large eye-bolts, like Chris showed in his pictures, only mine are permanently mounted on the side of the hull.

When I ran the trolley line through the eye-bolts, I tied a loop in one end, (a bowline,) and a large snap shackle Chris did. I pulled the line fairly tight when I tied that shackle on, so when I lift it up and clip it to the center eye-bolt (the "stowed" position,) it doesn't seem to bang against the hull.

Also, I'm only passing the anchor line through the snap shackle, and NOT tying it off to it. That way, I can adjust the amount of line out (scope) from my seat, without having to trolley the shackle back to where I am.

When I want to anchor, I release the shackle from the center eye-bolt, slide the anchor line into the shackle )which is stays clipped to the loop,) and lower the anchor over the side, right by my seat. I then trolley the anchor point forward (or aft) and pay out as much line as I want, then tie it off to the inner rail where I can get to it.

Simple, not complicated, cheap(!) and it WORKS!!! :D

I did leave that 15lb mushroom anchor home. Now I'm using a 10lb lead down-rigger weight. I figure it will be much easier to lift in and out of the boat from it's place behind the seat, it won't be as likely to get hung up as one of those folding grappling hooks, and if there's enough wind and/or current to drag the thing, I shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Now, you probably notice that funny-looking stuff on the other side of the boat. . . That's my solution to storing a long paddle and push pole outside the boat. Just some aluminum flat stock, bent to clip under the inner rail, nothing fancy.

acc05.JPG

The jury's still out on this one. It works well enough, keeps the paddle and push pole out of the way. I'll fiddle with it some more and if I decide to keep it, I've got some black heat shrink that will cover it and quiet it down a bit. Contrary to what I thought might happen, the push pole doesn't get in the way when paddling. That was my main concern. The other was that it might be awkward to enter and exit the boat from that side, or get in the way of landing a fish but this turned out not to be a problem, as well.

acc06.JPG

Here's something of a close-up of one of the clips, and you can also see my new drip ring. This was made with some cuts from some foam pipe insulation and contact cement. Went on easy, works well, and if needed, can be easily replaced.

In that last pic, you can see where I used some parachute cord to leash the push pole to the inner rail. Later, I did the same thing to the paddle when I stopped to fish. That will have to become "routine procedure." I'll get a Velcro wrist band and some parachute cord to make a paddle leash. When paddling, the band goes on the wrist, when I lay the paddle in the hanger, I'll transfer the Velcro band to the rail. I'd hate to loose a paddle!

I do intend to loose that PVC push pole, though. My first attempt to make my "push-paddle" didn't work out quite right. Another, better one is currently in the works.

My rod holder attachment turned out to be only marginally functional. I now know how I'll change it to clamp on the rail In the mean time, I found out that at least one fishing pole stores best for me, behind the seat, more-or-less horizontal. That explains the presence of that yellow, plastic milk crate. :oops: Honest, guys, as soon as I can, I'll replace it with a proper wooden, milk crate! :wink:

Almost forgot!
While I was out there trying out the new accessories, this thing somehow fell into the boat! :D

OZTrout.JPG

That would be a 15 1/2 inch, speckled sea trout. (And it's about time, too!) :lol:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mikey,

NOW you're cooking on the front burner. Somehting deadly simple.

I suppose that, if you wanted two anchors, one fore and one aft, you could hook a shackle or carabiner on both the upper AND lower lines. Then, as you slud the line, one anchor would head to the front of the boat whilst the other headed for the back 40.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Two anchors, one trolley.

Hmmmmm. . . I didn't think of that one. Only thing I'd have to have done differently would be to leave out that center eye-bolt. Or, just not run the upper line through it, just use it to clip one of the shackles on for that "store" mode.

That would work, and much less fuss than running a second trolley down the other side, too.

Nice bit of lateral thinking there, KJ! :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Could still have the center eye bolt. Forward anchor line fastened on forward of the center eye bolt, and aft one aft.

Oh, and by the way, it was:
"Clang, clang clang went the trolley.
Ding, ding, ding went the bell..."

From Meet Me in St. Louis courtesy of the Gee Whiz! Information Department

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
In my case, maybe it should be "Ding, ding, ding when the bat!" :oops: :oops: :lol:

I see what you mean. I have the part of the trolley rope with the clip on it underneath, not going through the center eye-bolt. the part you pull on, on top. That was done so I could move the clip all the way from the bow to the stern.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Mike wrote
Simple, not complicated, cheap(!) and it WORKS!!!

That's what I was after. Your whole set up looks great and the paddle/push pole hanger is real nice also. I think Chris is going to be pleased, I mean Chad if that's who you were refering to? :lol:

Also, that is one nice looking speck you got in the boat Mike! Did you catch him on the fly rod? What fly? Way to go. I have not caught one yet but someday. are they good eats?

Chad

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A single clip that travels full length is one way. I suggested TWO clips.

One as you have it now label as A. The second on the other half of the rope, and label it B. As you pull on your clothes line there, A goes to one end of the boat whilst B travels to the other end.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
cctyer, aka: CHAD, (and now, maybe Chris,)
My bad! Guess I should change my location in my profile to "The Great State of Confusion.

Absolutely, yes! My anchor set-up is nothing more than a re-located, permanently mounted version of the one you posted pictures of. And again, thanks for the idea!

I haven't figured out yet just who to blame the paddle hanger thing on. . . But I am going to keep it. Once I finish adjusting the hanger, I'll use that heat shrink to dress it up.

Nice thing about it is that anytime it does get in the way, such as I find a nice swamp to paddle about in, it's no problem to bring the paddle & pole inboard and remove the hangers. I can store them in that milk crate. And the milk crate will be replaced as I said earlier, with a wooden one.

I wish I'd caught that Speck on the fly rod. But once again I was out on a rather windy day and had started using the spinning rod, instead. Not only are those fish great eating, but they put up a great fight, too. They don't just "eat," they ATTACK the bait. Their top-water hits are fun!

Jack,

I did figure out the two-anchor thing you described. In fact, I had trouble getting to sleep trying to figure out how to do it without having one of the clips trying to go through an eye-bolt.

Sometimes, the obvious is hard to see.

Thanks!

Now then, for the one unresolved problem, the rod holders.

The simple, drop in the slot idea didn't work very well. But again, CHAD (see?) gave me a solution. I'll use the same base, but mount it on top of an upside down "U" made with some of the left over rail stock. The two prongs of the "U" will fit across the inner rail. The rod mount sits on top. The legs of the "U" go on either side of the inner rail and stick out a bit, below. A single carriage bolt goes through them, just below the rail and a wing nut tightens them down, clamping the whole thing to the inner rail.

Since the mount comes with a couple of bases, I'll repeat what I've already done and put another base back on that milk crate. Then I'll be able to put both holders back out of the way, or move them to locations near the seats, as needed.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
FlaMike said:
I'll get a Velcro wrist band and some parachute cord to make a paddle leash. When paddling, the band goes on the wrist, when I lay the paddle in the hanger, I'll transfer the Velcro band to the rail. I'd hate to loose a paddle!

I have made some "quickie" paddle leashes and boat tethers with the following:

Get some of the velcro cable ties, you will need two, (I got mine from Home Depot) and a one inch webbing tri-ring. The cable ties are 8" long, hook on one side, loop on the other side, so the will stick to themselves.
leash-1.jpg

Loop one end of one thru the end of the other (same side up) I am using two different colors just so it shows what I am doing.
leash-2.jpg

Then place the tri-ring on as shown.
leash-3.jpg

Then loop the other end thru the other, capturing the tri-ring. And snug it up.
leash-4.jpg

And there you have it.
leash-5.jpg

Tie a cord to the tri-ring. I usually wrap this end around the paddle and tie the other end to the boat. I also have a version with about a twenty foot length of cord, we wrap the velcro end around our ankle or wrist and the other end tied to the kayak when we go snorkeling.

You could aslo just make a loop knot in the cord and pass the velcro ties thru it and not use the tri-ring.

I would suggest not having the paddle leash attached to your wrist, but to the boat instead, tied to the same side of the boat that you have your paddle keeper hook thingy located on. That way you just have to put the paddle in the hooks and not have to take anything of your wrist. Paddle stays with the boat.

DM

Reactions: FrankAS

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yours is colorfuller than mine. I have a 2' chunk of 1/16" bungee with bowline knots in each end. Lay one end next to the paddle shaft, roll the shank through a loop and you have a loop around the paddle. Now, with the other end of the bungee cum tether, do the same to one of your wrists.

I like that rack for pole and paddle. You aren't a gal, but you DO have a stunning rack!

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Wow D-mouse, I guess great minds do think alike! I have been using these also. They keep things at hand and secure. they work even when wet and are very inexpensive. It keeps my water bottle close at hand and that's a big plus! :wink:
P82602092.jpg