Dream trip | SouthernPaddler.com

Dream trip

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
More and more I realize how location sensitive our boats , camping gear,food,cloths,rigging on boats .
What is the dream paddling trip you would like to take.
solo or a crowd
If a crowd how many
I want you to sit down and think a bought this trip and the planning . Take us on the dream trip with you and I bet we will all learn alot from each persons choices.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A dream trip would contain:
Good, friendly paddlers with whom to share the trip.
Warm, dry days; cool, dry nights.
Paddling in clean, clear water, not murky stuff.
No snakes, raccoons, bugs, red squirrels, or pests of any kind.
Full moon every evening, light breeze,
Wildlife galore to see and enjoy - loons, bald eagles, turkeys, mink, ducks, geese, swans, beaver, birds of all kinds.
Lots of dry firewood nearby.
Sun on my shoulder, wind at my back.
Nice tent/hammock sites.
And, I don't forget to take my kitchen gear.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
A dream trip would contain:
Good, friendly paddlers with whom to share the trip.
Warm, dry days; cool, dry nights.
Paddling in clean, clear water, not murky stuff.
No snakes, raccoons, bugs, red squirrels, or pests of any kind.
Full moon every evening, light breeze,
Wildlife galore to see and enjoy - loons, bald eagles, turkeys, mink, ducks, geese, swans, beaver, birds of all kinds.
Lots of dry firewood nearby.
Sun on my shoulder, wind at my back.
Nice tent/hammock sites.
And, I don't forget to take my kitchen gear.

All of those on one trip .... it would be boring since there would be nothing going wrong and a person would be worried all the time waiting for the bottom to fall out. All the worry while waiting for something to go wrong would distract from the good times. Besides it would sure spoil us since we are not use to having a trip like that.

As any paddler knows , the wind is never to our back , always head on when paddling. :lol:

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Sea of Cortez 5 - 7 day outfitter supported kayak trip. I got so far as to pricing outfitters and airfare, but I was in night school at the time, so time and money were at a premium for me. I put it on the back burner until I graduated, then got remarried, kids, house, etc... Still a dream trip, but probably more dream than reality at this point.

hairymick01

Damn Rom, I am gonna need to think on this one a while.

The obvious ones for me are Quetico NP with John (Cadeppa), Mountain River in Canada (the entire length of of it and over what ever length of time that took to do. The Yukon (of course).

I prefer to travel unguided, at my own pace and self sufficient. My boat of choice for these trips would be my Southwind with spray deck. It really is the best, most versatile boat I own.

A little closer to home, the Mekong from about Dazhaixiang in China to Luang Prabang in Laos or even further down stream as time permits. :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The Brazos trip I am doing in stages ,but my dream trip would be the length of the Missouri River, it is the longest river in the US.
I would want to start in Great Fall Montana and retrace Lewis and Clarks trip. Downstream.
This would start in some of the most beautiful Mountains in the world you would see all kinds of wildlife . It would also give you just a taste of what they went through and the landscape they saw.
I would want the time part of the trip open ended, so if you wanted a rest day or bad weather day or just an enjoy the location day you could progress at your own pace. Supplement your food with fish and what ever was legal to take where you were. With a mix of fresh food and dried food should be able to extend supplies for a month. There should be places to resupply along the route .
Would like to have a partner or different partners at different times . Solo boats
both self contained. I am sure the North Wind would be my choice of boats.
Cell phone, laptop with an aircard ,solar charger and a good water proof camera good binocs. I would want to take my time and document every day.
If I had the same partner for the whole trip swap off every couple days on who is the leader.
Folks would be welcome to join for a few days with the understanding this was my trip (our trip if with a partner) they would have to match our pace or lack of it.
Makes me want to start packing.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
My Dream trip would be the one I have dreamed of taking since I was a kid in a canoe.

The Amazon River.
From the headwaters to the ocean without a time limit and all the supplies needed ( resupplied along the way) for a trip of that length.
Documented along the way and being self sufficient when possible ( living off the land ) and not being ( becoming ) the dinner for some of the natives on the upper river.
The trip would be a solo trip or if with anyone then some good friends , each of us in our own boat and self sufficient.
The boat of choice would be a 18 foot canoe. It would hold everything and if necessary could even be sleep in.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
No need to travel clear to the Amazon, Chuck. You have all the predators - including pythons and anacondas - right there in Florida. Maybe no piranha, but crocks would be close enough for guvmint work. :wink:

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
tx river rat said:
The Brazos trip I am doing in stages ,but my dream trip would be the length of the Missouri River, it is the longest river in the US. I would want to start in Great Fall Montana and retrace Lewis and Clarks trip. Downstream.
This would start in some of the most beautiful Mountains in the world you would see all kinds of wildlife . It would also give you just a taste of what they went through and the landscape they saw.
I would want the time part of the trip open ended, so if you wanted a rest day or bad weather day or just an enjoy the location day you could progress at your own pace. Supplement your food with fish and what ever was legal to take where you were. With a mix of fresh food and dried food should be able to extend supplies for a month. There should be places to resupply along the route .
Would like to have a partner or different partners at different times . Solo boats
both self contained. I am sure the North Wind would be my choice of boats.
Cell phone, laptop with an aircard ,solar charger and a good water proof camera good binocs. I would want to take my time and document every day.
If I had the same partner for the whole trip swap off every couple days on who is the leader.
Folks would be welcome to join for a few days with the understanding this was my trip (our trip if with a partner) they would have to match our pace or lack of it.
Makes me want to start packing.
Ron

Although it once was by far the longest river of North America, today its length is comparable with the Mississippi because of channelization to eliminate meanders and facilitate navigation.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
It is listed as it being the longest river in the Us , I think both rivers have been messed with a lot so guess I will have to believe websters and go see.
Ron

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
hey ron it dont hurt to dream some do come true so keep dreaming. i have a few of my self one being the okee , nwt and maybe canada or alaska. :wink: :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Thats what I am talking about, Sea Of Cortez would be a awesome trip . Wow Chuck the Amazon what a adventure ,.
Keep them coming
Ron

islandpiper

Ronnie, go ahead and laugh at me.

Length:Just a simple river crossing

Solo or a crowd : big crowd. The whole Continental Army, George Washington and all. Night time trip in crowded wooden boats, on the Heavenly version of the Delaware. On a request of a couple of newbies, Gen Washington called the troops together to show us how it's done. And, Yes, Gen. Washington and all those Patriots are there...you bet. Of course, there's no ice to push through and no one has to muffle their oars. The Huns are not really sleeping on the other side as most of them didn't make into Heaven. Not much to carry in terms of camping gear, and of course no one has food along, just muskets and sabers. God, what a moment. Can you imagine the anticipation? The stress and strain of not knowing what lay ahead? Putting EVERYTHING on the line, including farm and fortune, and life itself.
300px-Washington_Crossing_the_Delaware_by_Emanuel_Leutze,_MMA-NYC,_1851.jpg

Go ahead.........beat that one.

Piper

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I'd like to have been along with Jack when he made his epic journey with Captain Lewis and Mr. Clark.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
That really was my dream trip, Mike, what a great bunch of guys. And - with the added benefit of Cap'n Meriwether teaching me to be honest - and I have been ever since! So, I won't tell a certain Sioux Princess' name, but WHAT A HONEY~

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
catfish said:
hey ron it dont hurt to dream some do come true so keep dreaming. i have a few of my self one being the okee , nwt and maybe canada or alaska. :wink: :D

Catfish.........

In case you missed it ..... Better to skip the Okefenokee for right now.

That fire the lighting started back in April 28 , this year...... ( The fire ) has burned off 268,000 of the refuges 402,000 acres or more then half of the refuges land at this time.
All of the entrances have been closed for the holidays so firefighters can continue to battle the 10 week old blaze which has caused all this damage. They say that rain is not expected till Tuesday with any luck. The down side is it sure will take more then one rain to do any good.
The waterways are closed due to the drought and lack of water.

For the up to date info...........
http://www.fws.gov/okefenokee/Honey%20P ... 0Fire.html
Click on the July 1 4 p.m. Fire Location Map At the bottom of the page of the above link , it has the the amount of damage ( area ) to the swamp that has burned..... It is the bright orange area on the map.

I would like to paddle the swamp again but it sure looks like it will be a long time till that happens.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Fires are bad but they are natures plows
Sometime I think the good lord cuts nature loose just to show us how little we have control over the planet.
Ron