Dream trip | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Dream trip

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
All my pics of BWCA are from 30 years ago and not in digital form. The BWCA is pretty famous for canoeing. I have been twice. The first trip was a "Outward Bound" type trip with a youth group when I was in high school. We traveled about 12 miles a day, made a big loop and set a new camp every day. Not a lot of time to fish.
My second trip was when I was in college with three other guys. We traveled 1.75 days setting one camp on our way to our base camp where we spent three nights and fished from there. Then traveled out and set one more camp before we got out.

Fishing is good, smallmouth, northern pike, walleye, and possible lake trout. The water is crystal and we drank straight out of the lakes when I went (although I don't know how we did not come out with getting giardia) BWCA is the US side of the border, you can cross and go into the Quetico which is probably worth doing (more fish, less people) but you might need a passport.

Ancient natural clear water lakes, and ancient trails that connect them. The trip can be as strenuous or as easy as you want to make it. It is true wilderness, only way in or out is by canoe, you probably won't be getting any cell service.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I paddle a very similar area on the E'ly end of Lake Superior (the legendary Gitche Gumi in Hiawatha). Lots of granite and loons. And, from Michigan, it's a day closer, so it's much handier from here. Coming from other areas, the W'ly side may be closer.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
mosportsmen.....

If you want to get into the mood to do the Boundary Waters then go to page #11 in the trips section and look at the trip reports by John Depa , Paddling Canada.
They are not in sequence so you will have to look for the numbers of them as they were posted.

Just as a side note , John normally paddles that area for 30 days , or longer , every year and has posted other trip reports n the forum. :D

Chuck.