Dream trip | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Dream trip

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
yea chuck i had heard they had closed all the entrences. yea its been a big fire i,m about 30 to 40 miles from the swamp? it has been pushing the animals out especially the bears. my neighbor caught one on a deer cam the other night. its rare we see one around here. i,m sure thats where he came from.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
I am signing up for Ron's trip down the Missouri. I wanted to do the Missouri in Missouri from Iowa line to St. Louis a long time ago and then they started this MR 340 race from KC to St. Louis 6 years ago and I wanted to do that. I am a doing that one this year if they ever get it rescheduled when the water comes down a bit.

I would rather do it at a much more leisurely pace, but there is that time factor. Retirement is a long time to wait for me. I will be keeping yall posted.

Tom

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Dream Trip.......NOT
The make up race on the KAW (kansas river) I will be doing the 22nd. Not a river I have ever had much desire to run but as my partner says it will be an adventure.

New Pacific Paddle arrived to my doorstep today, looking forward to getting home and check it out. Less than two weeks to go, starting to wish I was 20 years younger.

Tom

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
been thinkin on this, whilst in the UK recently , just driving around($7.00/ gal) crossed the river avon near Willy's place Stratford on Avon, plus miles of canals linking lots of rivers. Plus there are pubs serving good food and beverages at frequent intervals. Anyhoo with our temps running in 3 figures most days recently, just thought it we be neat to paddle some of those water ways, talked to my sister today, she said it was barely into the 80's.
Checked on the price of exterior grade ply, pretty reasonable, just ordered Micheal Store's quick canoe plans. Just thinking :idea:

MM

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Hey maken', have just come back from there myself. I go over for a month most years to visit mum and a few other people. I really can't understand the lack of small watercraft over there myself. No doubt you would have come across "narrow boats" (I would love to build one of those) which is how the rivers and canals get used mostly. As you said the frequency of pubs, restaraunts and other facilities would make for a wonderful paddling holiday. Its not wild frontier country by any means but I reckon there would be some fun to be had. The weather is probably to blame for most of it, but eskimos had it tougher and it didn't stop them. Every time I get over there I wish I had access to a kayak/canoe to explore the places in between land based access points that I used to use while fishing. It wouldn't be everyone's choice but there is some magnificent countryside and historical sites that can easily be accessed by waterways. Don't get me wrong there are canoe and kayak users, but given the amount of navigable water there realy are not that many.
Cheers John.
Ps the weather in May/june, almost midsummer in the UK was worse than our weather in Queensland almost midwinter :roll:

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Chuck,

Here is a link to West Hanson's Amazon river expedition he is planing for next summer. West will be in the race I will be doing on the 22nd. His plans are to do the whole length in record time.

He is quite the paddler.

http://www.theamazonexpress.org/

Speaking of dream destinations the Yukon river seems to me that it would be quite an adventure. There is an annual race of 460 miles up there that is quite a trip.

Tom

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
"narrow boats"

These were the primary means of moving materails/goods before the infernal combustion engine came to be. The canals that were cut for this fell into disrepair with the advent of the ic engine, bur now the recreational community has restored them, hundreds of miles of them. These narrow boats ars fitted out now like an RV and can be rented for liesurely (read slow) trips down these canals/rivers.

But as John the Pom pionts out very few small boaters take advantage of this,I enquired about this and got this reply.
The river is navigable for all types of craft from Stratford upon Avon
to the River Severn at Tewkesbury. There is a licence fee to pay (at
present it is £15 for 7 days for a canoe) at licences can be obtained at
several places on the river. For more information see
http://www.avonnavigationtrust.org/

All the best, Jim Shead

now having all my kin there is a bonus, thinking on the logistics of a build then leaving it behind, giving it away, selling it ??

Still just thinking

MM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Tom
My idea of paddling is about 10 miles a day so to do the 4,225 miles of the Amazon ...... Darn I would never get that old. Those rapids at the top of the river would make me turn around and go home , I hate rapids.
My dream trip would be the middle part of the river , after the rapids and away from any head hunters.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Hey, Mick. The Amazon is a gigantic river - an eco-system unto itself. I enjoy seeing it on Discovery, Animal Planet, etc. And, I'd enjoy reading a trip report written by the survivors.

I paddle more like Chuck - I'm out there to enjoy myself - not test myself.

mosportsmen

Jul 29, 2005
Kirksville MO
mosportsmen.com
Along the lines of more reasonable dream trips.....I have been wanting to go back to the BWCA again. Haven't done it since I was 20. Sure would be cool to get a bunch of geezers in wooden boats organized on a trip there next summer.

Any takers? The bigger the group the farther in advance you got to get reservations.

Tom

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
mosportsmen.
" Sure would be cool to get a bunch of geezers in wooden boats organized on a trip there next summer. "

Do you have any info, pics to wet ones appetite :!: :!:

MM