Firewood or a boat? | SouthernPaddler.com

Firewood or a boat?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
When I talked to seedtick about a boat design suitable for me he suggested building the boat out of cheap plywood. If the boat didn't work or I didn't like it, use it for firewood. What should I do?

IMG_0453.jpg

beekeeper

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Looks like a winner to me. Plywood doesn't burn that well anyway, with all the paint and resin and whatnot.

It's a good looking boat.

GBinGA

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I would say , Keep the boat and get some charcoal for cooking or an old dead tree for firewood. Or you could just ship the boat over to me and I will send you some firewood to replace it. Like sending the boat over here would ever happen. :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BeeKeeper,
I think that, to make a real dugout of it, you need to build a fire in there, and scrape out the charred wood. That way, you could have BOTH a boat and firewood.

PS: Don't let Piper San get anywhere near it with his Dutch ovens, or your question will be settled before you know it!

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Looks like a mighty good fishing boat to me. As a paddlecraft, you might give up 1 or 2 mph to a sleeker design. You probably could paddle that thing 2 1/2 mph all day with little effort. Really look at the waterline shape of keith and seedtick's Louisiana rowing skiff. Not a whole lot of difference between it and your boat to my eyes. Enjoy it until you build the NEXT boat. OH, and there'll be a "next boat"-- I guarantee it. :)

Joey

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
seedtick
I have been busy trying to finish the boat (lots of fun). It does not leak and paddles much better than my Croc. Only had it out one time, but that was enough to know it won't be firewood any time soon. Thanks for your advice and many answers. First trip pictures:

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

Thanks to all for the compliments and most all for posting. This site is so much help and fun.

beekeeper

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
That really is a great looking boat.

My God but ya'll have some great looking water to boat and fish in out there. Get somebody to remove the snakes and I might move!

George

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
jdupre' said:
Looks like a mighty good fishing boat to me. As a paddlecraft, you might give up 1 or 2 mph to a sleeker design. You probably could paddle that thing 2 1/2 mph all day with little effort. Really look at the waterline shape of keith and seedtick's Louisiana rowing skiff. Not a whole lot of difference between it and your boat to my eyes. Enjoy it until you build the NEXT boat. OH, and there'll be a "next boat"-- I guarantee it. :)

Joey

I built it as a fishing boat. I'm not an experienced paddler, so I have no idea how it compares to other boats. more paddle time will help me learn the boat and how best to paddle it. I tried different seat locations and heights, but came to no conclusions. I did learn you have to paddle slooow to fish. Kept gliding past the spots I wanted to cast to. A paddling question; Why does the boat seem to always turn to the right after I stop paddling? It glides straight and then drifts to the right as it stops. Did not seem to be a wind or current issue.
Keith and seedtick did answer a lot of questions about boat design and my needs. After trying seedtick's Dad's bateau and really liking it, He suggested I could build it as a skiff. Used the ideas we talked about and my U.J. Pirogue plans(as a step guide) to build my skiff.
Please refrain from references to "next boat". Mrs bee sometimes sees these post. :)

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
Glide to right:
1. Your CG may be listing to the right or left?
2. Last paddle stroke steers it that way?
3. Boat is off center in structure?
4. Coriolis force?

Jack has it about right ( not sure on that # 4 though).

I've found that in these light boats, you have to actually back-paddle to stop the boat to fish at a certain spot. They just want to coast forever. I use a light kayak paddle and lay it across my lap while fishing. To change boat position, I just grab the paddle at the center with my free hand and make a couple of light strokes on either side to hold my position. I tried sculling with a short canoe paddle, but that didn't seem to work for me.

Wind is another story. Trying to fish going upwind is a losing battle. Better to paddle up wind and drift back with a few corrective strokes. A lightweight anchor and a handy cleat makes for quick anchoring to cover fishy looking areas.

Joey

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Kayak Jack said:
Glide to right:
4. Coriolis force?

If dat's the case, Mick's boat turns to the left. How 'bout it, Mick? Does your boat like to drift to the left? :roll:

Mike

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks Kayak Jack and jdupre'. I will pay attention to these areas the next time. I know more paddle time will help, but practicing something the wrong way only teaches you the wrong way to do it. I don't think #3 is the problem. but I will file that information away for future disscusons with my budget and job coordinator (Mrs. bee) about the need for another boat. :wink: :)
I also noticed back paddling was useful for positioning the boat. I do need a lighter paddle. Mine was modified to use in my other boat and it is heavy. After useing my Croc in the bayou (out of the wind) compared to on the lake ( always a breeze), I now believe most of my paddling problems were wind caused. The rail between the side ribs was put there to have an anchor tie off location I could reach with out crawling all the way to the bow eye. Hope to use it soon to tie the fish stinger on. This boat does seem to track better. I wanted to launch on Lake Bistineau for the skiff's maiden voyage like I did with my other boat. Launch site was slightly covered with giant salvinia:
IMG_0447.jpg

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
mike said:
Kayak Jack said:
Glide to right: 4. Coriolis force?
If dat's the case, Mick's boat turns to the left. How 'bout it, Mick? Does your boat like to drift to the left? :roll:
You're telling me that BeeKeeper isn't in the Land of Oz??

Or, that since the pirogue is a full geometrically symmetrical boat, he could have chosen the wrong end to dub as "bow" So the magnetic variation of the wood will bend lines of force to align where Coriolis wants them? Anyway, was the tide going in or out?

BeeKeeper, in that last picture, is that a lake or a pasture?

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Kayak Jack said:
...... Or, that since the pirogue is a full geometrically symmetrical boat, he could have chosen the wrong end to dub as "bow"......

Hmmm, never thought of that. If he used the North end of the plywood on the stern of the boat, well......................... :shock:

Mike

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
jdupre' said:

Joey

I know this design is not stream line and won't paddle as well as some other designs. It is similar in form to a UJ pirogue with four ribs spaced as far apart as possable. I have no plans or sketches to post but this pictures shows the general shape.
IMG_0391.jpg

Joey said 2 1/2 mph. but I don't know one way or the other. It is stable and tracks better than my other boat. Like everyone I would like it to be "faster" (actually easier to paddle, in my case. I'm in no hurry). My questions are:
1. Does the absence of a pointed stern slow the boat down? The boat is 13' long.
2. How could I change the shape of the bottom to increase ease of paddle (speed), but not sacrifice too much stability or
capacity?
3. The sides are flared 22 1/2 deg. If they were 35, would speed increase or decrease?
4. If the boat weighed 10lbs. more, what effect?

Thanks
beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
beekeeper said:
... 1. Does the absence of a pointed stern slow the boat down? The boat is 13' long.
2. How could I change the shape of the bottom to increase ease of paddle (speed), but not sacrifice too much stability or
capacity?
3. The sides are flared 22 1/2 deg. If they were 35, would speed increase or decrease?
4. If the boat weighed 10lbs. more, what effect?
1. Yes. the square end creates turbulence. Turbulence equals drag. A square transom is to facilitate an outboard motor.
2. Let Matt answer this one.
3. Likely decrease, but secondary stability would increase.
4. Heavier to move, both on land in in the water. Slower accelleration and decelleration