FlaMike's Pirogue Build!

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice
I sho do like that crystal clear water.

regards
bearridge

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet. Chief Dan George/Lone Watie

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Sweet boat FM....You have a great set up. Looks like your having fun....wish I was there too. Nice job!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yep , Just like someone with the initials of Kayak Jack , tells everyone about paddling down here in the south , Mud , Gators , Snakes and lost Yankees. My guess is he got sun stroke while camping on Outhouse Key and it just confused him , made him think he was back up north.

I did not spot any of those in that river. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Launch022.jpg

Chuck.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Well, like I said, if it all went wrong and me and/or the boat went Tango Uniform, all the blame would be mine, and mine alone.

But the way things went, I owe it all to YOU GUYS, for you support, help, words of encouragement, and humorous comments that had nothing much to do with boat building! :D :D :D

My thanks to all y'all, each and every one.

Rather than load this thread down with even more pictures from that first trip, I just finished posting my very first "Trip Report" in that section of the Forums. Be warned, it's just a tad long-ish, with a number of pictures.

Now, back to "bidness!"

No idea how it might have worked out otherwise, but I'm glad I made the boat wider per Uncle John's advice, so I could do some "stand-up" fly fishing. For that purpose, the Pirogue is quite stable.

It was also Uncle John, along with several of the Forum members who suggested I NOT add a keel runner or inside stringers until I'd tried the boat, as designed. Very good advice! I will not have to add any internal stringers to prevent the bottom from "oil-canning," it has no tendency to flex, none at all. This could be partially due to it having 5 frames, instead of the usual 3 or 4. Per Uncle John, I looked at it and went with what my eyes told me. At that width, 30 inches across the bottom, with the two middle ribs spread that far apart, the boat clearly called for that 5th rib, right over the butt joint in the center.

But I Do think I'll be adding that keel runner on the bottom. Despite some small loss in the ability of the boat to "turn on a dime," I'd like to have at least some additional tracking help. I used the kayak paddle for most of my trip, finding the single paddle to offer very little in the way of control of the boat. True, this may well be due to a lack of technique and experience on my part, but I had very little luck at all moving in anything resembling a straight line with that single-blade paddle.

The addition of a keel runner on the bottom will increase the draught of the Pirogue less than in inch, so I'll take the trade-off. It should also help when polling the boat, but that actually went fairly well.

My "one-wheel wonder" boat dolly worked well enough, but two wheels would certainly be a lot easier! Lashing a paddle cross-wise did make it usable, but frankly, it was a pain in the posterior. That will be corrected before my next trip out.

Some time in the near future, probably when the boat is sent back to the "shipyard" for painting, a graphite bottom, and the installation of the keel runner, I would like to replace the PVC part of my truck rack with 2 inch, schedule 40 pipe, without any "extra spacers" like my current version, made with 1 1/2 inch pipe. Just for peace of mind, as it did get me and the boat too and from the river without incident.

As soon as those "final" mods are done, the graphite bottom completed, and the rest painted and varnished, I'll get an "all-up weight. Before the epoxy-glass was done, the boat weighed in a 64 pounds. Even with the additional work to be done, I'll be quite surprised if it goes as high as 80 lbs.

As is, the LOA is 15' 10", the beam is 30" across the bottom, 36 1/2" at the top of the sides.

I will be finding the time and place to do those "stability test" and pictures, but that will be a little later on.

Right now, I've got to absorb having gone from one of these, to the other!

startfinish.jpg

Later! :D

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Seriously, YES! :D

As for catching the old man. . . Right now, that would be me.

Seems I can't walk very well at the moment. I will more than likely be staying home tomorrow night. First time that's happened in quite a spell. As much as it hurts, that day on the river was worth it!

Another mistake I'll not be making again in the near future.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

cottontop

Jul 23, 2007
south Ga.
FlaMike,

That is one more nice little outfit you have done a verrrrry good job for a fishing companion for yourself. Congratulations,and Job well done. Hope you have many pleasure and happy trips in it.

Watch out for the gators. :lol: Cottontop

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Thanks, Cottontop! :D

Hey guys!

I've decided to not take the boat out again on my next set of off-days, instead I'm going to do the finishing touches. I'm posting some questions down in the "Serious Boat Building" section, so if you have the time, take a look. I could really use your expertise!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Since the boat isn't truly "finished" just yet, I guess I'll just keep posting in this thread.

Got some good answers about adding a small keel runner to the bottom of the boat for improved tracking, down in the "Serious Boat Building Questions" Forum.

I'd planned on working on the boat Wednesday and Thursday this week, and going fishing on Monday and Tuesday. But things came up that changed that, and seems it's raining again anyway, so most of this week will be spent at home, finishing things up on the Pirogue.

Got the little "keel-let" shaped and epoxied in place, last night. Small thing, just 1/2" X 3/4", laying on it's side. I knocked the sharp edges off and stuck it in place. This morning, I cut and shaped the ends of the keel runner to fair it into the bow and stern.

Before I thought to take a picture of that, I applied the first coat of epoxy and graphite. I'll have to take that picture, later on.

Maybe I'm doing something different, but I'm getting almost 100% coverage of the wood grain with the first coat. I guess it's going on a bit thick, as I'm spreading it with those cheap little foam brushes. I didn't like them much at first, but the more I used them, the better I liked them. Their main attraction is that they are cheap and I buy enough of them so there's no problem just tossing them after a single use.

I will for certain be putting on a second coat of the epoxy/graphite, but I'm not so sure I'll be adding a third. As thick as that first coat went on, a second coating should be more than enough. But, I'll look at it after the second coat is on and see what I think, then.

Soon as that's done and I can take that masking tape off, I want to get the sides painted. The sooner that's done, the sooner I can turn the boat over and get started on the inside. This is the part that will take the most time.

If I can get it all done this week, without rushing things, then my next set of days off, I'll be spending as much time as the weather will allow, getting to know the area between Homosassa and Crystal River, the Ozello Keys!

Might have to file a change of address card with the Post Office! :lol:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I got to thinking about those corners. I'm not sure that is a good idea. A sharp shoulder would seem to hold its own against sliding sideways better than would a streamlined one. Mick's works for him; I wonder if it wouldn't work even better with sharp shoulders?

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
I think you're right KJ,

A straight corner will hold better than a streamlined one, but you have to be sure that you don't have grain run out that will be a crack starter on the edge of the runner. Commercial mills of today don't even worry much about wane and knots much less grain run out.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
So 'tis a compromise, ehh? So much in Life is that way. One day, Seedtick, we're gonna bust right through the other side and be on the Big Rock Candy Mountain.

Them'll be the says, ehh? We'll have Piper San serving up drinks and cookies. What is it Mel Brooks called Harvey Coreman? "Oh, piss boy!"

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
If I ever built a pirogue like Mikes, I reckon I'd get some Dapper Dan hair wax, rub some on the bottom 'n slide rite over logs.

regards
bearridge

Ulysses Everett McGill: Hold on, I don't want this pomade. I want Dapper Dan.
Pomade Vendor: I don't carry Dapper Dan, I carry Fop.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, I don't want Fop, damn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
Pomade Vendor: Watch your language, young feller, this is a public market. Now if you want Dapper Dan, I can order it for you, have it in a couple of weeks.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I don't think that sharp corners will affect the way it works. It is the total cross section that will reduce drift. If epoxy and graphite act anything like paint, then you definately want to roundover the keel. Paint will stay on a rounded corner better than a sharp one. Won't chip near as bad.
Bob

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I kind of wondered about rounding those edges, too. But, in the interest of keeping the epoxy happy, I did. Not all that much, I just made a couple of quick passes with the R/O sander to "knock the edge off."

Right this moment, I think I'd rather be spreading Dapper Dan on this boat, instead of the epoxy/graphite mess (I mean, mix) that I'm using.

Think I know just why I was getting such good coverage in that first coat. . . A failure at fundamental math, that's why! :oops: My mix is just a tad graphite-rich and this makes it kind of hard to handle.

The next layer will be more under control. 8)

I'll be glad when this part is over and done with!! :lol:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL