FlaMike's Pirogue Build! | Page 7 | SouthernPaddler.com

FlaMike's Pirogue Build!

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
I am in utter suspence waiting to hear the results of the terminal stability test :shock: and the standing while casting a fly rod test is going to be exciting as well. I hope your boat is more stable to you than mine is to me. I would love to hear the stats on the boat when you get finished.

Good luck with th maiden voyage! can't wait to se the pics.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I'll be taking pictures of the launch, for certain. As for pictures of the testing, that may take a couple of days, as I'll need my wife to take pics while I'm out in the boat, acting like an idiot.

Basically, I want to KNOW just what it takes to capsize the boat. I want to know just how low in the water the boat will ride when completely flooded, and how hard it is to empty that water out.

The only way I can find that out is to do it.

I'd like to know if a deep-water re-entry is possible, just in case I need to do one, or just hang on and wait.

Just makes sense to me to try these things out first hand, and under controled conditions. Cool, clean water over a sandy, hard bottom, and in an uncrowded loaction. That's why I chose this particular park.

As for the fishing, I expect no problem sitting down casting a 5 wt in freshwater, the real test will be standing up and swinging the TFO 9 wt for saltwater. I've done this in a 12 ft aluminum V bow, so I kind of think it won't be much different in the "wide-body" version of the Pirogue.

I"m also thinking that since I covered quite a bit of territory in that 12 footer, using a push poll, the Pirogue will likely be easier to propell that way.

Oh, now that I've finally finished the build, when does the pain stop? :shock:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
FlaMike said:
Oh, now that I've finally finished the build, when does the pain stop? :shock:

The pain will all go away when you start loading the boat on the truck for it's first trip to the water. Much better medicine for aches and pains than the candy. :lol:

Course the pain will only be replaced by the urge to build some other boat.

Cant wait to see the pictures from the water.

DM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Speaking of stability, eyeball this http://www.sponsonguy.com/

I carry them for occasions when the water gets rougher than I'd planned. They attach to a boat with pad eyes (plastic semi-circles that bolt to the side of your boat).

When launching, I often attach on end of a sponson on each side of the boat, and tuck the deflated sponson up under a deck bungee. In use, if I want to deploy them. I snap on the other end of each sponson and inflate it. Really adds stability.

Not perfect, but a good alternative.

BTW, this vendor can somethimes be a little "different", but I like his product.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Jack,

Normally I would not comment on a vendor, other than to say I liked or disliked their product and/or service. But having seen the web site you posted a link to. . . I just have to.

Maybe I'm a little thin-skinned, but his method of advertising struck me as being just a little "over-the-top," just enough for me to wonder about his personal ethics. But, not knowing the guy or what he might have been reacting to, I figured I could let it slide.

When I was curious enough to click on a link that claimed to be for the "Order Page," mainly to see what his product sells for, I got slapped in the face by his offensive political views that apparently were more important to him than selling his product.

Rather than get over-heated (again,) and risk being banned from my new on-line home, I'll just say this:

Screw him and the horse he road in on. I'd no sooner pay one red cent to him for anything, than I'd send a birthday card to Osama Bin Laden.

Sorry for the rant, but that joker managed to push several of my buttons, all at the same time.

May he slowly sink into the ocean, sponsons and all.

Mike S. (still ticked off!)
Spring Hill, FL[/b]

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
As I cautioned, he's weird. BUT - he does have what I believe is a good and useful product.

Each of us has a choice, and I chose to not cut off my nose to spite my face. I respect your choice and your skill. I need all the help I can get when it comes to self-rescue. That's why I bought an EPIRB, as a back up system to my less than stellar capabilities.

I searched for a suitable substitute product made and sold by someone else. Couldn't find one. Sorry.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

I admit I dont know much bout that kinda flat/cold/water paddlin'. Hiz idea mite be a good one. I figger he come up with it while he wuz wearin' hiz tin foil. Later he musta fergot. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Most of the harm in the world is done by good people, and not by accident, lapse, or omission. It is the result of their deliberate actions, long persevered in, which they hold to be motivated by high ideals toward virtuous ends. Isabel Patterson

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Just what everyone needs .. TRAINING WHEELS FOR A KAYAK. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is not a good way to try to sell something to the American Public. What in the HECK has he been smoking.

Tired of being an American citizen and Shit upon constantly by your own Government? Relax. The polls consistently have shown for several years that at least 85% of U.S. citizens know 911 was an inside job. Citizens in every country are not as stupid as we might think. Here is some great reading regarding America, written by US Patriots and other decent people. The world has more decent, peace-loving people than the opposite:

If he was the only person in the world selling beer , I would be drinking water.

Chuck.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Wow, Did I miss somethig here. I should have read your posts before going to the site. I think he has a good and sound product as well but I got lost in the personal never ending diatribe of government bashing (can you say UNIBOMBER). I am sure he does not need the money from sales nor will he get many accept for mindless followers who need someone to tell them what they like or need. Whew! I feel like a murderer just for building a boat. I'm going to get a beer and forget I saw that nonsense!

I love the way Jack can stir it up when it's a slow news day! :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Sorry 'bout that, guys. As I said, he's weird, but I like the product. His sponsons are nice to use either for leisure or in an emergency.

I'd have thought that by now, someone else would be making a similar product. It's a good idea sold by an unlikable guy. What can I say? Do you guys kiss your butcher? Or the paper boy? I don't have to like someone to appreciate what they can do for me.

Come to think of it - this guy oughta be selling gritz. No sense ruining TWO companies.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack is one of those folks (unlike me :roll: ) that enjoys stirring the pot when things get quiet.

This should of been in a separate post as not to shanghai FlaMikes Pirogue post , but as they say .... Ya can't un-ring a bell.

FlaMike when you get done and know what your boat will do then if you would ... PLEASE... post that information in the boat Bragging section. It will be safe there. :D When pigs FLY! ... Jack here

Jack ... Ha Ha Ha .. To late grandpa ... Had one buzzing the house just yesterday , pigs wings the new BBQ treat and ... NO.. I will not tell you the secret recipe for the Bushes Baked Beans , Duke swore me to secrecy. .

Chuck.
We never , ever , in no way deviate from the subject matter at hand , it just is what is in your hand at that time. :oops: :roll:

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Well, now. That was an interesting little side trip!

After I got home this morning (and before I went off on a bit of a rant,) I laid all the parts for both seats out in the bottom of the boat on some sheet plastic. About half of them already had three sides epoxy coated and those now have been completely coated. The other half got their coating on all but the side-down part.

Since I seem to have woke up kind of early, I'm going to let my first cup of coffee do it's job and then see about covering the last bit of bare wood on those parts, and maybe just one more coat on the fore and aft deck, while I'm at it.

That leaves only the truck rack to finish off. I've got all day Monday to do that and to make sure it works. Now if the daily thunder storms don't let up, I might not need the truck rack to test float the boat, I'll be able to do it right here in the front yard.

As I said, I will be taking pics of the launch, but it looks like I'll be doing that, solo. I think my wife will have a day off in the middle of the week, so I'll repeat the stability test with her taking pictures. We should be able to show just how far the boat can be tilted without going over, and exactly how far is too far.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Holy Smoke!!! :shock:

I just scanned that vlokes order page. He is making some very serious accusations. To suggest that the major canoe and kayak associations are responsible for the trajic deaths of children as part of some sort of international conspiricy is just bizaar.

To suggest that the various Police Forces are somehow involved in this conspiracy to cover up child murders in order to promote the sales and use of PFDs is mind boggling. Nearly all of the Police I have known or worked with have been parents themselves. All are deeply affected EVERY time they are involved in a child death.

To give credit where it is due however, his product looks sound and this bloke at least has the courage to post his name and adress in the public domain.

I won't be buying his product and I don't support his views.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Jack,
speaking of beer. This bloke would be fun to have about 20 or 50 beers with in a bar somewhere - anywhere and then get him started on his rant.

Then step back - right back and watch the fun begin :D :twisted:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

Dang.....I wuz tryin' ta be the first on page 10. It mite not seem like much, but I been in the doldrums since the Texas Flood moved over here 'n stirred up the skeeters. :mrgreen: Mebbe I will top page 100? It iz a blues/metric thang. :wink:

regards
bearridge

There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn what it is I'll get married again. Clint Eastwood

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I posting from the Radiologist office at the hospital. ( Kind of a weird night, real busy for a couple of ours, then absolutely nothing for a couple more.)

Before I left to get here, I did finish up on epoxy coating all the pieces for the two boat seats. Got one last coat on the front & read decks as well. Got to get a good picture of those to post, they came out looking pretty nice!

About those sponsons. . . There's some pretty sound thinking behind them. And just enough info to make it pretty easy to make a set myself, if I ever decided I need them. But I just am not looking for a pair of "training hulls" for my Pirogue. Heck, if I really wanted a trimaran, I'd have build one, instead.

I've seen ideas like those discussed here and on other web sites, too. Kind of interesting, and in some cases, kind of expensive. I think gadgets are fun to play with, and making my own has always been something of a hobby for me. But there comes a point when you spend too much time, effort, and/or money on something like a boat, to make it do something better, easier, or safer, where you have to aks yourself if just maybe you should be building a different boat.

One that was designed to do whatever it is you want to be doing.

I guess if I needed extra stability for some reason, a lot could be had by lashing my push pole cross-wise, with a life jacket or floating seat cushion tied on each end. Could to the same with a kayak paddle, as well. There's a good chance that you'd only need that float tied out on one side anyway, for a "rescue at sea" or even a deep water re-entry for yourself. Having that inner rail or in-whale would make this fairly easy to rig, and rig quickly, even from outside of the boat.

I have both a single paddle and a double, so I'd still have propulsion.

Than again, about 90% of where I'll be on the water, simply standing up would be the easiest thing to do. :lol: After all, my reason for building a boat was to get out on the flats to fish, mostly on the "skinny water." 8)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL